Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you taken up a new sport or hobby?

Have you taken up a new sport or hobby?

Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:37 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you taken up a new sport or hobby?

I've just had my first ever tennis game, and despite prior reservations about it, really enjoyed it.

Just wondered if you have taken up a new sport / hobby or past time, what is it and why?
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I go Go Karting almost every week, with my future brother in law and his friend. They were both members of the local track and they used to take me when I was on visits. But now I'm here permanently, I've become a member and go as often as I can. In fact, I'm going tonight

I will hopefully be getting my tickets to the Dbacks vs the Cubs for august 22nd today also.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I were discussing this very issue this morning. I don't really have any hobbies so am finding life a bit boring. I did take tennis classes at the YMCA last time we lived here and enjoyed it. However, I was hoping that it would help me meet people but found they were all so stuck up. Still trying to work out what I would like to do this time around.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

RaymanInPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like you - Tennis.

I always wanted to play but never had the opportunity until I moved here and found out that nearly every apartment/housing development/complex has a tennis court!

I also swim a lot more than I did in the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:19 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vicky88
However, I was hoping that it would help me meet people but found they were all so stuck up. Still trying to work out what I would like to do this time around.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard to make friends here, even when you put yourself right in the middle of everything. I think being British, people don't know how to take me. Maybe it's personal and they just don't like me :scared: I think I'll have to pratice saying "oh how wonderful" and "awesome" more.

Something else I want to do a bit more of is cycling. I can go for miles and not see a single hill!
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:17 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have made more friends here than I did in the place I lived in England. Because the weather is so nice all the neighbors stand in the street and talk. I go surfing with 2 of my neighbors, go to another neighors for game nights, play tennis with some of my neighbors, we have freinds who have a boat and take us in the boat. In fact we are off tonight with some friends to a soccer game (against the Dallas Burn).

I suppose it helps living in a freindly sub-division but I also made freinds while I was a voluntary fireman (I had to stop because my wife is ill at the moment but as soon as she has had the operation I am going straight back). I have also made friends volunteering for the Cat Adoption Team. I do a lot more here than I did in the UK because the weather is more condusive to being out and doing stuff.

I have heard of several people having trouble making freinds, I really don't know why that is because americans are such friendly folk and take you on face value. I must just be lucky I guess, even if they don't get my sense of humor half the time.

Patrick

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard to make friends here, even when you put yourself right in the middle of everything. I think being British, people don't know how to take me. Maybe it's personal and they just don't like me :scared: I think I'll have to pratice saying "oh how wonderful" and "awesome" more.

Something else I want to do a bit more of is cycling. I can go for miles and not see a single hill!
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:31 pm
my arm aches

Originally posted by Patrick

I have heard of several people having trouble making freinds, I really don't know why that is because americans are such friendly folk and take you on face value.

Patrick
Should I buy some Crest Whitestrips then?
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:41 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Should I buy some Crest Whitestrips then?
Here are my suggestions so that americans will take you into their busom

1. Gain 30lbs
2. Wear loud and inappropriate for you weight clothing
3. Take everything literally
4. Get a sense of humor bypass and think that US TV is actually funny (except the stuff that isn't meant to be like the Bachelor)
5. Drive without ever using your indicators or checking over your shoulder before merging
6. Have your teeth, breasts and receeding hairline whitened and straightened, enlarged and filled in (with your own hair)
7. Believe the hype
8. Have at least one stars and stripes on your house, car and tatooed to your childrens forheads
9. Take medications
10. Accept that America is a slightly bonkers country
11. Accept the people
12. Accept

Hope this helps

Patrick
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard of several people having trouble making freinds, I really don't know why that is because americans are such friendly folk and take you on face value. I must just be lucky I guess, even if they don't get my sense of humor half the time.

Patrick
100% true!
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:56 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

I have found Americans to be very friendly people, though they do tend to lack the appreciation of irony that we have.

An appreciation of irony comes through facing adversity while maintaining one's sense of humour, and lets face it - few people who have an education and are prepared to work for what they want will have to experience any true economic adversity here. Those who grew up under Callaghan's labour government in the 70's will know what I mean.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are my suggestions so that americans will take you into their busom

6. Have your teeth, breasts and receeding hairline whitened and straightened, enlarged and filled in (with your own hair)

Hope this helps

Patrick

I have just returned from the cosmetic surgeons as you suggested, I had my chest whitened and straightened, my receding hairline enlarged plus my teeth filled in, and still no one likes me.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 5:15 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

I just had my teeth filled in with my own hair, but I can see it causing problems down the road...

Forgot to say earlier, I took up sea kayaking a couple of years ago and it really is good fun.

Can anyone tell me how to attach an avatar to my posts please? I looked at the area that talks about editing a profile, but I must be having a dense day today.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:20 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

one hobby i tried with the inlaws/friends was jet skiing!

I am SOOOO gonna get one of those when Im in Florida!

Lee