Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What A Great Soccer Match

What A Great Soccer Match

Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What A Great Soccer Match

Went to Philly to watch Man Utd v Barca last night, it was a delight to see 68,000 Americans all enjoying a fantastic game of Soccer. They welcomed it with open arms and it was a wonderful night and even better that we won 3-1.

It was also nice to see that the Americans are as bad as the Brits when it comes to emptying parking lots after the match lol, an hour to do half a mile onto the I-95 south. I guess we must have taught them how to do it............!!!!

I think the fact that the USA national goal keeper Tim Howard signed for Man U had the crowd going, a good move, he was awsome, chants of USA-USA-USA really added to the atmosphere, Fabian Barthez look out

Rob
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What A Great Soccer Match

I watched all of Man United games on the telly and have been very impressed by them.

Sorry to say, but the funniest moment was Forlan open goal miss against Juventus.

Awaiting Champions World tour next year with Stockport County in it.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976

Awaiting Champions World tour next year with Stockport County in it.
Thats not as funny as it sounds. Man U were not the only English team on an American preseason tour. The mighty Northampton Town were also in the states.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Cobblers !
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:56 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

As well as the fantastic Dundee FC - now I know you are all gutted that you didn't go and see them in NC!
Old Aug 4th 2003, 6:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

TANGERINES!!!!!!!

oh wait a minute, they're the lot from t'other side of the road.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

greg went up to seattle to watch manu play celtic! He loved it... Except that manu won, of course.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:03 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Tangerines! I thought I got rid of those arabs when I came here! I assume they still exist!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:54 am
Up Yir Kilt

Thanks Pulanski - you sure do contribute.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:02 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

You must be gutted Veron has gone to Chelsea, who has he bought to fill the midfield with both Veron and Beckham gone?

I went to see the Wilmington Hammerheads beat the Dallas Burn 4-1 tonight in front of a massive 3,000 people. You are used to 68,000. As a Blackpool fan 3,000 people is more than enough at a game. The crowd woke up briefly when ever the cheerleaders bounced there breasts around but spent the rest of the time in silence (apart from the goals). I heard one guy explaining the game behind me in hockey terms and his mate was confused when there was no icing call when the ball was hoofed up the pitch, bloody americans.

Patrick

Originally posted by robclews
Went to Philly to watch Man Utd v Barca last night, it was a delight to see 68,000 Americans all enjoying a fantastic game of Soccer. They welcomed it with open arms and it was a wonderful night and even better that we won 3-1.

It was also nice to see that the Americans are as bad as the Brits when it comes to emptying parking lots after the match lol, an hour to do half a mile onto the I-95 south. I guess we must have taught them how to do it............!!!!

I think the fact that the USA national goal keeper Tim Howard signed for Man U had the crowd going, a good move, he was awsome, chants of USA-USA-USA really added to the atmosphere, Fabian Barthez look out

Rob
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:22 am
Up Yir Kilt

Yup, they just dont get it. Have you seen the MLS advertisements? And the adverts DURING the game?
Little wonder no bugger is interested.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 1:34 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

I went to see the Dallas Burn play a couple of years ago and was interested to see the difference between MLS and British football. It was all very technical with no crunching tackles. Mind you they have hockey and American football for violent sports. They teach football to 5 year old girls here, after all.

The crowd was very quiet and there were no away fans to taunt either, presumably because of the huge travelling distances!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DaveC

Mind you they have hockey and American football for violent
sports.
I watched a Hurling game when I worked in Ireland some years back..............Jesus Christ.......now thats the meaning of the word violent...........11 Irishmen with sticks, it gets no worse. It makes Aussie Rules look like a game of marbles.

Rob
Old Aug 7th 2003, 2:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Thats not as funny as it sounds. Man U were not the only English team on an American preseason tour. The mighty Northampton Town were also in the states.
The local TV stations in the Triangle, NC interviewed players from Northampton but the caption read "North Hampton"!!!

No, I didn't catch any of the matches live.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:20 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
The local TV stations in the Triangle, NC interviewed players from Northampton but the caption read "North Hampton"!!!

No, I didn't catch any of the matches live.

NC Penguin
I was thinking about putting a post in about my Hampton pointing North but decided against it on the grounds of taste (don't even go there people)

Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.