Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone made the move on their own?

Wikiposts

Has anyone made the move on their own?

Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:31 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone made the move on their own?

Originally Posted by seabiscuit
Hi everyone.

I'm 21, and if all goes to plan, I'll be moving to Florida in February. I'm really excited about it, because I see it as an adventure, and I've spent most of the last 3 years in the same area, so I know I'm happy there.

But I've got all the regular worries, mainly not fitting in, not making friends, being alone...I'm a pretty independant person, but it's really daunting just to think that I'll be almost 5000 miles away from my family, especially my mum, who I'm really close to.

I have a lot of friends in the US, however over the last 3 years, they've all grown wings and flown, and only one is left in the area, who happens to be my ex (luckily we're still on good terms!)

I've been reading through the boards and seeing other people's experiences with moving away, but most people seem to have moved with their family, or to be with someone. I feel like I'm doing this completely on my own!

How did you make friends? Good or bad experiences?
Some were nice here and some were not!!!
The thing about BE is, guess what? When you are new here not everybody gets the sense of humour. Especially if you are a 21 year old girl.
Sometimes when you are alone and afraid and heading for the other side of the world, it takes more courage to come here for the sake of it that it does because your job sent you and you have nothing to worry about other than filtering your pool.

So, for all the nobhead Brit ex-pat rich kids that took the Michael, I think you should mail this girl and give her some advice and encouragement. You may have turned her off America. People come here for help and advice. Some of you treat it like a gentleman's club for the elite. It is getting old and is useless if you cant be constructive.

All of you have good advice and experience to share. We were all newbies (I still am) once. So think twice and stop being dicks.

Thank you and goodnight

(PS - I am gettin gflamed for this aint I ha ha)
Be nice folks
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
The thing about BE is, guess what? When you are new here not everybody gets the sense of humour. Especially if you are a 21 year old girl.
Sometimes when you are alone and afraid and heading for the other side of the world, it takes more courage to come here for the sake of it that it does because your job sent you and you have nothing to worry about other than filtering your pool.
Your lack of knowledge betrays your ignorance ...she has no Job or visa...
we have the story ..I want to move to florida on a weekly basis .. it get tiresome.. The OP posted all her serious question in the Immigration section and got good advice .. I gave it too her ...

People come her for advice..encouragement is not part of the agenda ...
How can you when you know they have little chance ...

And if your not not happy here ..there is no requirement you stay ..

I don't think I know any rich kids here though......

Calling us dicks ...bodes not well for you ..be lucky.....
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:19 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Your lack of knowledge betrays your ignorance ...she has no Job or visa...
we have the story ..I want to move to florida on a weekly basis .. it get tiresome.. The OP posted all her serious question in the Immigration section and got good advice .. I gave it too her ...

People come her for advice..encouragement is not part of the agenda ...
How can you when you know they have little chance ...

And if your not not happy here ..there is no requirement you stay ..

I don't think I know any rich kids here though......

Calling us dicks ...bodes not well for you ..be lucky.....
Ray. Grow up mate. I was making a point, You are one of the smartest on here. Mail me if you got something to say. I will happily reply to any intelligent e-mails.

BTW - I love it here and I am married to a US girl. Don't mean they can make a decent curry or I shouldn't be a little homesick at times!!!! he he
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Ray. Grow up mate. I was making a point, You are one of the smartest on here. Mail me if you got something to say. I will happily reply to any intelligent e-mails.

BTW - I love it here and I am married to a US girl. Don't mean they can make a decent curry or I shouldn't be a little homesick at times!!!! he he
Ok so who called the cop over this domestic dispute. Time gentlemen please or I'll have to get an ABSO's sent over.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:01 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seabiscuit
Hi everyone.

I'm 21, and if all goes to plan, I'll be moving to Florida in February. I'm really excited about it, because I see it as an adventure, and I've spent most of the last 3 years in the same area, so I know I'm happy there.

But I've got all the regular worries, mainly not fitting in, not making friends, being alone...I'm a pretty independant person, but it's really daunting just to think that I'll be almost 5000 miles away from my family, especially my mum, who I'm really close to.

I have a lot of friends in the US, however over the last 3 years, they've all grown wings and flown, and only one is left in the area, who happens to be my ex (luckily we're still on good terms!)

I've been reading through the boards and seeing other people's experiences with moving away, but most people seem to have moved with their family, or to be with someone. I feel like I'm doing this completely on my own!

How did you make friends? Good or bad experiences?
I have, came alone to the States when I was 22
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:11 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should mail this girl and give her some advice and encouragement.
why? if you want free advice go to the CAB.

You may have turned her off America.
so................this isn't the positive feedback forum.
some of my experiences in the USA have been downright shit.

People come here for help and advice.
again, you seem to think this is an advice forum, it isn't. there is nothing in the rules or requirements of this website that deem we have to give free advice or help.

Some of you treat it like a gentleman's club for the elite. It is getting old and is useless if you cant be constructive.
telling someone for the 15th time that they can't move to Florida is as constructive as I get.

Last edited by Manc; Nov 18th 2006 at 3:15 am.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:19 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, she asked for 'opinions' and she got them. Life in the US will be tough for her if she can't handle that.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:47 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lionheart
I have, came alone to the States when I was 22
Did you clean it up afterwards?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So, for all the nobhead Brit ex-pat rich kids that took the Michael, I think you should mail this girl and give her some advice and encouragement. You may have turned her off America. People come here for help and advice. Some of you treat it like a gentleman's club for the elite. It is getting old and is useless if you cant be constructive.

All of you have good advice and experience to share. We were all newbies (I still am) once. So think twice and stop being dicks.

Thank you and goodnight

(PS - I am gettin gflamed for this aint I ha ha)
Be nice folks

Who are the ex-pat rich kids and what evidence do you have that justifies you saying that? As for calling people dick heads...what do you think you look like with all the 'ha ha ha ing' you put in your posts?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Who are the ex-pat rich kids and what evidence do you have that justifies you saying that? As for calling people dick heads...what do you think you look like with all the 'ha ha ha ing' you put in your posts?
Well, I'm not rich.

Wish I was, if I were, All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum
............If I were a wealthy man.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:29 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gardnma]Well, I'm not rich.

I am. Positively rolling in the stuff! In fact I'm typing this on my lap top aboard my private jet wisking me off for dinner in Paris. After which I shall be joining Mr & Mrs Cruise for brunch tommorow at the castle, so there!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:42 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by gardnma
Well, I'm not rich.

I am. Positively rolling in the stuff! In fact I'm typing this on my lap top aboard my private jet wisking me off for dinner in Paris. After which I shall be joining Mr & Mrs Cruise for brunch tommorow at the castle, so there!
....just wait, come the revolution.........

Last edited by gardnma; Nov 18th 2006 at 8:47 am.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:48 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Ok so who called the cop over this domestic dispute. Time gentlemen please or I'll have to get an ABSO's sent over.
don't worry you'll find we have loads of usually good debates and well jostled humour, but it does take time to get to 'appreciate' it. And we all usually respect everyone afterward (mostly )
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:56 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gardnma]
Originally Posted by blaze

....just wait, come the revolution.........

Now be a good guy and put your avatar back the way it was, Thank you!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by gardnma

Now be a good guy and put your avatar back the way it was, Thank you!
May be he just likes small thing's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.