Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Old Dec 21st 2018, 2:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Those two points are stressed in the US immigration forums. When you become a PR, go to SS and have the legend removed from your card and when you naturalize, go to SS and update your file. Your naturalization status also, I understand, has a bearing on estate taxes, etc.

My husband took his naturalization certificate to the SSO and updated his record and then walked down the hall and applied for his US passport. These services were not offered at his swearing in ceremony at the federal court house in Manhattan.

We were stopped once after crossing the border from Canada about 3 towns south on the Northway. Hubby gave them his US passport.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the US 51 years and never been asked for my SS Card, I have no idea where it is. The most I've been asked is for my SSN. My US Passport expired a while ago, been meaning to renew it for while.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I've been in the US 51 years and never been asked for my SS Card, I have no idea where it is. The most I've been asked is for my SSN. My US Passport expired a while ago, been meaning to renew it for while.
I have never been asked for my SSN card and also have no idea where it is. HOWEVER - there are no laws saying that you have to have a social security number. It makes things exponentially easier for you if you have one, but it is not a legal requirement.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I have never been asked for my SSN card and also have no idea where it is. HOWEVER - there are no laws saying that you have to have a social security number. It makes things exponentially easier for you if you have one, but it is not a legal requirement.
My g/f just turned 65 and has recently signed up for medicare. She's a foreign-born, naturalized citizen. She had to go to the SSA office as part of this. She was never required to show her card (though she did use her passport), and is now all signed up for Medicare. So it doesn't seem like the 'card' itself has much value.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My g/f just turned 65 and has recently signed up for medicare. She's a foreign-born, naturalized citizen. She had to go to the SSA office as part of this. She was never required to show her card (though she did use her passport), and is now all signed up for Medicare. So it doesn't seem like the 'card' itself has much value.
In some situations it does- you can show it and your driving license to work, if you don't have a passport or green card.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

In Maryland, you have to show proof of SSN for driver license renewal. It doesn't have to be the actual card though e.g. can be a W2.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
In Maryland, you have to show proof of SSN for driver license renewal. It doesn't have to be the actual card though e.g. can be a W2.
Things really have changed over the years. Back in the mid 70's, my Brother in law got a California Drivers License while on vacation from the UK. Walked into the DMV office took the written and road test all on the same day, passed and got the DL later in the mail.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Things really have changed over the years. Back in the mid 70's, my Brother in law got a California Drivers License while on vacation from the UK. Walked into the DMV office took the written and road test all on the same day, passed and got the DL later in the mail.
Back in the 70s, I came to CA on vacation and rented a car using my UK Motorbike only drivers license! I hadn't yet passed my test in UK The rental car company didn't know how to read the UK DL to realize it was only for Motorcycles! Now, this was a terrible risk as if I'd had an accident, insurance would have been declined and I would have been in a world of hurt ... not endorsing my foolish behavior at all
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yeah, in NY the DMV requires sight of the actual SS Card the first time you apply for a permit/license/ID from them. I think the DMVs use the SSN to stop people getting duplicate licenses from more thab ine state.
Old Dec 25th 2018, 1:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They signed me up for Medicare on the phone. They also signed me up for my retirement benefits at the same time. Never had to enter a SSO. Like rpjs, I had to physically show my SS card when I applied for my driver's license here in MS and I showed my US Passport to sign up to vote at the same time.