British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Had a shock reading some citi data forums. So much seggregation! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/had-shock-reading-some-citi-data-forums-so-much-seggregation-819655/)

Pulaski Dec 30th 2013 5:28 pm

Re: Had a shock reading some citi data forums. So much seggregation!

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11055895)
We must be looking through two different types of glasses.

New York City:

White: 44.6%
Black 25.1%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Asian 11.8%
Foreign Born: 36%

San Francisco:

White: 49.66%
Black: 7.99%
Asian: 30.84%
Hispanic: 14.1%
Foreign Born: 27%

San Jose:

White: 47.49%
Black: 3.5%
Asian: 26.5%
Hispanic: 31.6%
Foreign Born 38%

On this occasion, Michael, I'll agree with you. The breakdown for London is as follows:-

White: 59.7%
Black: 13.3%
Asian: 18.4% (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi: 12.0%, Chinese: 1.5%, Other Asian: 4.9%)
Other: 3.4%
Mixed: 5.0%

Nutmegger Dec 30th 2013 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11055913)
On this occasion, Michael, I'll agree with you. The breakdown for London is as follows:-

Asian: 18.4%

And are these ethnicities really living in mingled proximity? This isn't a rhetorical question -- I haven't been to London for many years and don't know the answer.

Sally Redux Dec 30th 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 11055847)
No matter where you move you'll find it hard find somewhere that is as integrated and diverse as London.

I don't know about New York but in LA, the availability of land has meant that 'white flight' has always taken place. In London, inner areas get gentrified; that doesn't seem to happen here, although I believe there are some attempts with downtown, a very dead and faded area.

Pulaski Dec 30th 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11055916)
And are these ethnicities really living in mingled proximity? This isn't a rhetorical question -- I haven't been to London for many years and don't know the answer.

I don't know, and don't even know how you could reduce the degree of integration to a single easy to compare statistic, but I suspect the degree of "ghettoization" in most countries around the world is broadly similar. Certainly in London and most cities I am familiar with in the UK and the US, ethnic groups generally live in certain neighborhoods in each city, often centered around a church, mosque, or other community focal point, or occasionally an industrial area.

Nutmegger Dec 30th 2013 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11055930)
but I suspect the degree of "ghettoization" in most countries around the world is broadly similar.

That is my feeling too -- but I see it these days as being based in economic, rather than racial considerations in the majority of instances.

Michael Dec 30th 2013 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11055913)

Asian: 18.4% (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi: 12.0%, Chinese: 1.5%, Other Asian: 4.9%)

Actually I'm a little surprised that London is only 59.7% white. In New York City, San Francisco, and San Jose, I can't go to work, walk down the street, or move into a neighborhood without being in close proximity to non whites but I don't sense the same in London.

Pulaski Dec 30th 2013 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11055951)
Actually I'm a little surprised that London is only 59.7% white. In New York City, San Francisco, and San Jose, I can't go to work, walk down the street, or move into a neighborhood without being in close proximity to non whites but I don't sense the same in London.

The next time you're in London, walk north from the Tower of London for 5-10 minutes to Aldgate, and the Mile End Road, and you'll swear you're in Lahore! Even the street names are dual language, English and a Pakistani alphabet (I don't recall which one). Turn onto Brick Lane and about every third store is a curry house, and they're very good, and dirt cheap to boot! .... Or take a Jack the Ripper walking tour, because it is the same area, and interestingly in Victorian times it was a predominantly Jewish area! Even Bloom's the somewhat famous kosher restaurant on Aldgate has closed, though it hung on until 1996.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 30th 2013 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11055962)
The next time you're in London, walk north from the Tower of London for 5-10 minutes to Aldgate, and the Mile End Road, and you'll swear you're in Lahore! Even the street names are dual language, English and a Pakistani alphabet (I don't recall which one). Turn onto Brick Lane and about every third store is a curry house, and they're very good, and dirt cheap to boot! .... Or take a Jack the Ripper walking tour, because it is the same area, and interestingly in Victorian times it was a predominantly Jewish area! Even Bloom's the somewhat famous kosher restaurant on Aldgate has closed, though it hung on until 1996.

Actually I remember the area before it became Asian and I do not go back as far as the Victorian area. I used to work in Aldgate in the early 70's.

Dirt cheap may be relative, my preference was the Lahore down Commercial Road, but that has gone a bit swanky.

Pulaski Dec 30th 2013 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11056034)
Actually I remember the area before it became Asian and I do not go back as far as the Victorian area. I used to work in Aldgate in the early 70's.

Dirt cheap may be relative, my preference was the Lahore down Commercial Road, but that has gone a bit swanky.

The Lahore Kebab House, in that little side street just off Commercial Rd? .... I ate there a number of times in the mid 90's! :)

Yorkieabroad Dec 30th 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11056066)
The Lahore Kebab House, in that little side street just off Commercial Rd? .... I ate there a number of times in the mid 90's! :)

Ha, that was a regular of ours too, in the late 80s/early 90s.....think it must have been a different place that Boiler was talking about, cos swanky it was not!

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 30th 2013 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11056188)
Ha, that was a regular of ours too, in the late 80s/early 90s.....think it must have been a different place that Boiler was talking about, cos swanky it was not!

I used to go there with a friend who said the Daal was better than his Mum could make, a big thing.

It was certainly a bit of a rat hole, last time I was in there was nearly 2 years ago, much much bigger ground floor, colour TV's, very different.

BillyLondon Dec 31st 2013 1:12 am

The diversity is there in the city like you pointed
out. But the neighbourhoods are seggregated in ny. In London it's much more integrated.

Michael Dec 31st 2013 3:31 am

Originally Posted by BillyLondon (Post 11056424)
The diversity is there in the city like you pointed
out. But the neighbourhoods are seggregated in ny. In London it's much more integrated.

I wouldn't call Westchester NY or Greenwich CT a suburb of NYC any more than I would call Dover or South Hampton a suburb of London.

Pulaski Dec 31st 2013 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11056522)
I wouldn't call Westchester NY or Greenwich CT a suburb of NYC any more than I would call Dover or Southampton a suburb of London.

Westchester adjoins the Bronx, and is substantially a dormitory for NYC, so it IS a suburb of NYC. Commuting from Greenwich is much more challenging to commute from, and is perhaps comparable to, say, Brighton, Swindon, or Cambridge.

Michael Dec 31st 2013 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11056529)
Westchester adjoins the Bronx, and is substantially a dormitory for NYC, so it IS a suburb of NYC. Commuting from Greenwich is much more challenging to commute from, and is perhaps comparable to, say, Brighton, Swindon, or Cambridge.

Westchester is at least 25 miles from the Bronx and about 40 miles from Manhattan but I suppose since White Plains is considered part of the NYC greater metropolitan area, then Westchester could possibly be considered a suburb of NYC. Actually I found commuting from Greenwich to NYC pretty easy and has a good train schedule.