British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Had a shock reading some citi data forums. So much seggregation! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/had-shock-reading-some-citi-data-forums-so-much-seggregation-819655/)

BillyLondon Dec 29th 2013 8:47 pm

Had a shock reading some citi data forums. So much seggregation!

I am considering Westchester to move to whole husband will work in manhattan. I read some posts on citi data. And it all seems so much more segregated than
London. The schools, the neighbourhoods. Especially suburbs of westchester. It's really putting me off. Have I just got the wrong impression?

It's almost like you have to be a certain colour or religion or ethicnic origin to be accepted in certain areas. Especially the good areas with the good schools?

Wish we could just live in manhattan. But with three small kids a flat isn't appealing

Have I just got the wrong idea?

Please hellppppp

Was set on westchester. Not sure now.
NJ isn't an option and manhattan queens and Bronx don't look great either for housing and schooling. Even nice parts of Brooklyn. All flats.

Nutmegger Dec 29th 2013 10:04 pm

Re: Had a shock reading some citi data forums. So much seggregation!

Originally Posted by BillyLondon (Post 11054806)
I am considering Westchester to move to whole husband will work in manhattan. I read some posts on citi data. And it all seems so much more segregated than
London. The schools, the neighbourhoods. Especially suburbs of westchester. It's really putting me off. Have I just got the wrong impression?

It's almost like you have to be a certain colour or religion or ethicnic origin to be accepted in certain areas. Especially the good areas with the good schools?

Wish we could just live in manhattan.

I don't think you would find things very different in Manhattan. Unless I misunderstand you, what you describe as "segregation" is economic -- the more expensive the neighborhood, the less diverse the residents. And indeed, the "better" neighborhoods do have better schools. It is the same in every town/city in the US . . . and surely, around the world?

Michael Dec 29th 2013 10:14 pm

In the US, K-12 are primarily financed by property taxes with contributions by federal and state governments with most of the money going to the poorest areas.

For example, in the SF bay area, the Palo Alto school district (an affluent school district) pays about $19,000 per student per year and gets less than 5% of the cost from federal and state governments but the Oakland school district (a poor school district) pays about $10,000 per student per year and gets over 50% funding from the federal and state governments.

Yorkieabroad Dec 29th 2013 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11054870)
I don't think you would find things very different in Manhattan. Unless I misunderstand you, what you describe as "segregation" is economic -- the more expensive the neighborhood, the less diverse the residents. And indeed, the "better" neighborhoods do have better schools. It is the same in every town/city in the US . . . and surely, around the world?

I agree with regards to areas being separated along economic lines, but around us, the more affluent neighborhoods tend to bring more racial/ethnic/religious diversity, not less. Its one of the things I like about where we are.

Michael Dec 29th 2013 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11054883)
I agree with regards to areas being separated along economic lines, but around us, the more affluent neighborhoods tend to bring more racial/ethnic/religious diversity, not less. Its one of the things I like about where we are.

In California, the Cupertino school district (an affluent school district ranked 10 out of 10) is primarily Chinese and whites are hesitant about living in Cupertino since there are too many Tiger Moms in that district putting too much stress on their children. In Fremont, the highest ranked schools (10 out of 10) are heavily attended by Indians.

Yorkieabroad Dec 29th 2013 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11054891)
In California, the Cupertino school district (an affluent school district ranked 10 out of 10) is primarily Chinese and whites are hesitant about living in Cupertino since there are too many Tiger Moms in that district putting too much stress on their children. In Fremont, the highest ranked schools (10 out of 10) are heavily attended by Indians.

I had a nephew and niece go through Cupertino, and both did very well. They are Chinese. And no, I wouldn't particularly have wanted to live there either:lol:

Unfortunately, there are a bunch of Tiger Moms in our area too, and sometimes it takes a real effort not to get caught up in it...!

Michael Dec 29th 2013 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11054909)
I had a nephew and niece go through Cupertino, and both did very well. They are Chinese. And no, I wouldn't particularly have wanted to live there either:lol:

Unfortunately, there are a bunch of Tiger Moms in our area too, and sometimes it takes a real effort not to get caught up in it...!

A problem with the Cupertino school district is that if a student is a B student, they can feel that they are a failure. Also it is heavier into the maths and sciences than most other highly rated school districts.

Pulaski Dec 29th 2013 11:46 pm

Wish we could just live in manhattan. But with three small kids a flat isn't appealing

Have I just got the wrong idea?

Please hellppppp

Was set on westchester. Not sure now.
NJ isn't an option and manhattan queens and Bronx don't look great either for housing and schooling. Even nice parts of Brooklyn. All flats.

What is your concern? Are you concerned that your children won't "fit in", that the white 'burbs are hot beds of Klan activity that may entice your children, or that your children won't benefit from a full range of cultural experiences that a diverse school would give your children? :confused:

BillyLondon Dec 30th 2013 2:44 am

I meant more racially and religiously seggregated. My concern is that I put my daughter in a school where the majority of children from a certain affiliation are a clan and are not welcoming. Isolation for my four year old daughter. Not based on money but the fact that she's not Jewish in a predominantly Jewish area. Or not white in a predominantly white area. I live in Richmond and it's rich and fabulous but integrated and diverse.

Pulaski Dec 30th 2013 2:52 am

Originally Posted by BillyLondon (Post 11055075)
.... the fact that she's not Jewish in a predominantly Jewish area. Or not white in a predominantly white area. ...

So those are some of the things your daughter is not, but what is she? Mrs P and I lived in Westchester for a while, but we didn't have children at the time. If we did, we would have been more than happy for them to go to school there, it seemed like a comfortable relatively safe area, and yes, predominantly white. If you could please be more specific about how you think your concerns might impact your child, not some mythical "average" child, then you will probably get more specific (useful?) advice.

I live in Richmond and it's rich and fabulous but integrated and diverse.
Richmond, Surrey, Richmond, North Yorkshire, Richmond, VA, or some other Richmond? :confused:

rpjs Dec 30th 2013 1:52 pm

In terms of Westchester, where we live, our community, Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow is relatively diverse. Originally it was a blue-collar community, mostly Italian and Irish, but once the old General Motors plant closed in the 90s the area has gentrified and diversified. We now have a strong Latino community, especially in Sleepy Hollow - mostly Ecuadorian and Dominican. Quite a lot of Portuguese and Brazilians, with a lot of the Portuguese being first-generation arrivals. But we have a smattering from all over, Indians, Dutch, Belgians and I hear other British accents now and then.

Rose tea Dec 30th 2013 3:37 pm

Trying to speak honestly without breaking site rules here...It is my opinion that opinions and information presented on some websites should be taken with a grain of salt. In some cases, perhaps a boulder of salt. I can't speak about the area of the US you're looking at, but what I can say is that the internet is a big place, and you should definitely take in opinions from several different websites and go with what seems to be the most common opinions.

Let's see if this passes muster with the rules! :)

Rete Dec 30th 2013 4:24 pm

Yes and No. Westchester is for the most part a Tony Suburb of Manhattan. As such it was at one time very "white". But then at the times of their incorporation, most immigrants were "white" or transplants from the southern states in the 1850's upward who won their freedom.

The towns' immediate areas adjacent to the business district were where one found apartments and tenenments. This was mainly because when they were established blue collar workers relied on public transportation to get to and from work. White collar workers were those who were earning monies who could afford to purchase single family homes and automobiles and thus you have what is currently your segregated areas of these Tony Towns; or those with family money.

This is why there are towns that appear to be segregated to newcomers. Good schools will always be an issue in the US and particularly here in the NYC area. That issue and your preceived segregation encompasses, Westchester County, NY to the north, Long Island to the east and New Jersey to the west.

nun Dec 30th 2013 4:46 pm

No matter where you move you'll find it hard find somewhere that is as integrated and diverse as London.

Michael Dec 30th 2013 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 11055847)
No matter where you move you'll find it hard find somewhere that is as integrated and diverse as London.

We must be looking through two different types of glasses.

New York City:

White: 44.6%
Black 25.1%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Asian 11.8%
Foreign Born: 36%

San Francisco:

White: 49.66%
Black: 7.99%
Asian: 30.84%
Hispanic: 14.1%
Foreign Born: 27%

San Jose:

White: 47.49%
Black: 3.5%
Asian: 26.5%
Hispanic: 31.6%
Foreign Born 38%

I'm not even sure that London is as diverse as Minneapolis, MN.

White: 70.2%
Black: 17.4%
Asian: 4.9%
Hispanic: 9.2%
Foreign Born: 9%