Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1b interview questions

H1b interview questions

Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

bigmacgregor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b interview questions

Hi there guys. I am awaiting the result of my h1b case which has been applied for with the premium processing service, so hopefully it won't be too long! If all goes well then i will have to go to london for an interview.
How long does it normally take between the immigration service centre (the job is in connecticut - hartford service centre) to contact the embassy in london to let them now that a visa has been granted?
Then how long does it normally take at this time of year to get an interview date? days, weeks, months!
What do i need to bring with me to the interview? Police report etc.
I may be being a little presumptious but i just want to have everything ready and cut out as much wasted time as possible.
thanks in advance for your help

BMG
Old Jul 31st 2003, 7:27 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

You'll get your approval (hopefully) notice within 15 days. It's not
a visa that is granted, it's merely a notice that your case has been
approved. The issuance of a visa is entirely at the discretion of the embassy, although you are unlikely to have a problem. You would need to bank on at least 2 weeks over in the UK to be on the safe side, counted from after your interview. I have no idea how long it takes to get an interview these days. They may fling you a question or two about your new company, job etc. but it's hardly an interrogation. Finally, a police report is not required for an H-1B visa.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

at0001 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to book your visa interview now!!!

Last time I checked the backlog for the Emabssy in London was 6+ weeks. They have not allocated any more staff for visa interviews despite increasing the number of people that need interviews. I booked my visa interview in early July and still have 2 weeks to wait before my interview. My new employer is not too chuffed. Do not wait for petition approval, book it now, if your petition is not approved for some reason you can always cancel!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, it's amazing how they are treating the different visa classes. We had our E2 interviews in July, it was only a 10 day wait from when we made the initial phone call until our interview , and visas were issued and passports mailed back to us the same day.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

at0001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey, maybe you were lucky and got a cancellation, I phoned up on July 2nd, given earliest date of August19th. Didn't even ask for what visa type before giving me the date. I'm not happy about it, it could/could have jeopordised the job offer.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

No it wasn't a cancellation as a friend of ours called a day later and got an interview the day after we had ours. Must definitely do with the visa type, as they only do so many interviews for each visa type each day.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I just ask again about the style and form of the HIB visa interview at the US embassy. I am just intrigued because I have one booked for early september with my wife.

Obviously we'll have all the forms and properly taken photos and our I797A (well we better by then!)

Anything else we need to take that's not on the list from the US embassy. I believe you have take old and new passports? How about a nice new white shirt?

thanks