Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

For Gypsygirl

For Gypsygirl

Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For Gypsygirl

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, they buy it, Tracy, but it is not the same as getting it through paying for it through past salary deductions.
No they did not pay a dime for it (other than the standard part B contribution).

Everywhere I'm looking, at various websites, it says both spouses get Medicare at age 65 if EITHER spouse has 10 quarters of eligible employment.

I certainly believe you - but I am wondering if you were told wrong somehow.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Another govt. publication:

http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11038.pdf

"If you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least ten years, you are eligible for Medicare premium-free Part A and Part B at age 65. There is a monthly premium for Medicare Part B."
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

"If you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least ten years, you are eligible for Medicare premium-free Part A and Part B at age 65. There is a monthly premium for Medicare Part B."
This has always been my understanding. Looking at the Medicare site I can't find anything to substantiate Rete's comment. Link, anyone?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This has always been my understanding. Looking at the Medicare site I can't find anything to substantiate Rete's comment. Link, anyone?

My comment was given to me by SSA. I don't have a link. Sorry. But if it is not true, then my poor, sick husband has been working with a heart condition now for the past few months for no reason.

There is no reason to work for his ss retirement benefit. The amount might pay for two early bird special dinners and a movie once a month. The only reason he is working is to qualify for medicare and for his healthcare insurance which he can keep after working there for ten years.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 15th 2008 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bowing out of the discussion for the time being. I read the link Tracy gave me and it does not make any kind of sense to me at all and is contrary to the information given to us when at age 65 Jim and I went to the local SSA office to enroll him in the medicare system and we were told he is not eligible to enroll.

My apologies for leading all of you astray but this is truly what I believed.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That's always been our understanding as well. My wife is convinced I can piggy back off her SS and get my own benefits and medicare, and she is normally most careful at checking these things out.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 15th 2008 at 8:10 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bowing out of the discussion for the time being. I read the link Tracy gave me and it does not make any kind of sense to me at all and is contrary to the information given to us when at age 65 Jim and I went to the local SSA office to enroll him in the medicare system and we were told he is not eligible to enroll.

My apologies for leading all of you astray but this is truly what I believed.
Well, I sincerely hope that you were given wrong information. Hopefully your husband can now stop work?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My comment was given to me by SSA. I don't have a link. Sorry. But if it is not true, then my poor, sick husband has been working with a heart condition now for the past few months for no reason.

There is no reason to work for his ss retirement benefit. The amount might pay for two early bird special dinners and a movie once a month. The only reason he is working is to qualify for medicare and for his healthcare insurance which he can keep after working there for ten years.
I am so sorry if he's been working for no reason. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got wrong info from your SSA. I don't know anything for a fact, but I just cannot figure out how he is not eligible. I hope it works out for you.

I even saw something (but haven't researched it yet) that a non-working spouse can get a portion (half?) of the other spouses benefit amount. Not sure on that one though.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:15 pm
Concierge

I am so sorry if he's been working for no reason. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got wrong info from your SSA. I don't know anything for a fact, but I just cannot figure out how he is not eligible. I hope it works out for you.

I even saw something (but haven't researched it yet) that a non-working spouse can get a portion (half?) of the other spouses benefit amount. Not sure on that one though.

We would not want to do that. He has his own old age benefits from Canada and his military pension so he does not require draining my benefits.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We would not want to do that. He has his own old age benefits from Canada and his military pension so he does not require draining my benefits.
No, this was in addition to yours. But I'm not sure - I'll go have a hunt.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is what we believe as I have never worked since coming to the US.

In my line of work everything except the $8 an hour jobs are federal so as I have a pension I thought b***** them, I don't come that cheap.

My wife checked into it and she says I can get SS benefits based on her payments.

Also if you have paid in 10 quarters into the US SS you can transfer your UK benefits over into the US SS to top up that.

</IMG>
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, this was in addition to yours. But I'm not sure - I'll go have a hunt.
Wading through a big stupid govt. document - it sounds like he may get social security benefits in addition to yours. I could be wrong of course, but it sounds like it:

"Each family member may be eligible for a monthly
benefit that is up to half of your retirement or disability
benefit amount. However, there is a limit to the
total amount of money that can be paid to your
family. The limit varies, but is generally equal to
about 150 to 180 percent of your retirement benefit."

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/f...n/ssundben.pdf
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:38 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Wading through a big stupid govt. document - it sounds like he may get social security benefits in addition to yours. I could be wrong of course, but it sounds like it:

"Each family member may be eligible for a monthly
benefit that is up to half of your retirement or disability
benefit amount. However, there is a limit to the
total amount of money that can be paid to your
family. The limit varies, but is generally equal to
about 150 to 180 percent of your retirement benefit."

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/f...n/ssundben.pdf
I have been told by ss that when I retire they will look at my contributions and at my husbands, I will then receive a pension on which ever one gives me the highest pension.
My children at the moment receive ss benifit based on there step fathers earnings. I dont receive anything as I earn to much.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is a long link and it's not all relevant, but I am wondering whether this is Rete's issue with Medicare eligibility for her husband:

"You may have Medicare Part A coverage (hospital insurance) at age 65 if your spouse is at least age 62 and has worked in Social Security-covered employment long enough to be insured, even if your spouse is still working. Anyone may enroll in Medicare Part B (medical insurance); there is no work requirement".

This is news to me and, if correct, makes the statement on Medicare's website misleading at best!

http://www.trs.state.il.us/subsectio...lets/pub20.htm

So I am guessing Rete is under 62?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 15th 2008 at 9:20 pm.