Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Children Born in the US

Children Born in the US

Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children Born in the US

I have been here for 4 years now, was born and bred in England and am a UK citizen. My 2 children were born over here in the US, I was wondering whether I needed to register their births or can I just apply for a UK passport for them at a later date?

We will probably move back to the UK in 2/3 years, their citizenship isn't something I'm concerned about but I'm thinking I want to make moving back as simple as possible. I read elsewhere on this site (in the Australia section) that British citizenship is automatic for the child and I wouldn't need to register their births? I'm not sure how that works though.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children Born in the US

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
I have been here for 4 years now, was born and bred in England and am a UK citizen. My 2 children were born over here in the US, I was wondering whether I needed to register their births or can I just apply for a UK passport for them at a later date?

We will probably move back to the UK in 2/3 years, their citizenship isn't something I'm concerned about but I'm thinking I want to make moving back as simple as possible. I read elsewhere on this site (in the Australia section) that British citizenship is automatic for the child and I wouldn't need to register their births? I'm not sure how that works though.
UK style BCs are not essential but advisable. if ever they need to prove citizenship in the future, it'll make it so much easier.

You register them with the British Embassy in DC. The BritainUSA site has all the details.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, register the birth, it'll help prove citizenship, especially if they lost passport in the future and you had carped it for instance, will make it a lot easier.

Passport, you can get that any time via the embassy too, $260 though, but you'll need that once you want to move back to the UK.

The kids will still need to file tax returns to the IRS even if there isn't any tax to be paid, when 18, and if male, to sign up for selective service.