Guns?

Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Simon G will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Guns?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Where's that stat coming from? and how many are the result of people not declaring them after the ban resulting from the Dunblane massacre?
The Home Office, ACPO and Customs put the illegal arms pool in the UK at between 2 and 4 million guns.

After the ban in 1997, every single pistol that was legally held in the UK was accounted for. The police knew what make, calibre and serial number.

The FBI Uniform Crime Report makes very interesting reading when comparing US/UK crime figures. Per capita head, large swathes of the US have lower crime rates than the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I didnt say thay would stop it happenening, however they will lower the risk, otherwise the alarm manufacturers have made an awful lot of cash out of lies. Statistics can say anything, which is why I dont believe them from any side of the argument.

Look, you do what you think is neccessary and I shall do what I think is neccesary and within the law.

Why dont you all come back to me when you have truly been in amongst dangerous criminals and seen what they can do. When you've dealt with someone who is willing to rape and then murder the victim to stop them talking. When you've had to wade into a room full of idiots waving smashed bottles in each others faces.
Must admit, that I used to be one of those people that thought only 'other people' got mugged, etc., until that is, I became one of those 'other people'! Since then, I have always been very, very aware of who is around me or walking behind me, etc. However, I still would prefer to live in the UK where gun availability/ownership isn't quite as easy as here in the US ... better to be mugged by a thug who probably isn't carrying a gun, than by one who may well be carrying a gun!

As for my own protection, at one time I took to carrying one of those sprays (even though it was illegal in the UK) ... until I thought better of it, figured the mugger would probably wrestle the spray from me and I would end up getting sprayed with it instead!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon G
The Home Office, ACPO and Customs put the illegal arms pool in the UK at between 2 and 4 million guns.

After the ban in 1997, every single pistol that was legally held in the UK was accounted for. The police knew what make, calibre and serial number.
OK that's everywhere on the web.

The FBI Uniform Crime Report makes very interesting reading when comparing US/UK crime figures. Per capita head, large swathes of the US have lower crime rates than the UK.
Lower crime rates? that could be lower anything. Doesn't relate to gun crime though.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one stat, but from 1999:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/...it_fir&id=OECD

US: 8259 intentional homicides with a firearm
UK: 62

EDIT: per capita the UK shows 0.00, whereas the US is 0.03. don't know what population estimates they are using though.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:59 pm
ImHere

Exactly. So why is gun crime such a problem?

Its not to me. But a lot of people feel it is a very big issue. Personally I think street punks are safer with guns - the larger caliber the better - than with knives....most of them couldnt hit a barn door with a handgun and those big .50's they seem to love make then even worse shots. Whereas a properly weilded knife is a very dangerous article indeed.

Infact, you are far more likely to die from a knife wound than a gunshot wound and it is much, much easier to hit someone with a knife (contrary to what Dant seems to think) than a gun. Why do you think all police forces in the UK now issue covert knife proof body armour as standard issue? We had to wear ours everytime we stepped out the door due to the high(er) risk of knife attack, and I worked in a more rural area.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its not to me. But a lot of people feel it is a very big issue. Personally I think street punks are safer with guns - the larger caliber the better - than with knives....most of them couldnt hit a barn door with a handgun and those big .50's they seem to love make then even worse shots. Whereas a properly weilded knife is a very dangerous article indeed.

Infact, you are far more likely to die from a knife wound than a gunshot wound and it is much, much easier to hit someone with a knife (contrary to what Dant seems to think) than a gun. Why do you think all police forces in the UK now issue covert knife proof body armour as standard issue? We had to wear ours everytime we stepped out the door due to the high(er) risk of knife attack, and I worked in a more rural area.
Personally I think the gun issue is overrated. Gang problems are far worse.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't that because in the UK knives are more likely to be carried than guns, so protection against being stabbed is a higher priority?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Its well know the best way to create a police state is by
A) Disarming the populace, then
B) Create a paranioa amongst the public that crime is out of control and finally
C) Introduce "Tough New laws" designed to reduce the now soaring crime rates.
But you yourself, like most advocates of liberal gun control, are the most guilty of point B. It is you that is creating paranioa amongst the public in order to justify gun ownership. It is then those same people who advocate point C, such as 'Three Strikes And Your Out' and an increased use of the death penalty.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

. If someone broke into my house in the middle of the night they would definitely not get the chance to rape and murder my wife and child without serious risk of pain and death to themselves.
I have heard this is the main reason why people have a gun in their homes.
I don't want to sound funny (i am honestly interested in your reply) but do you think you would have the chance to shoot first if you were attacked in your bed?
I know if i was woken from sleep even if i had a loaded gun under my pillow i'm sure they would get me first and in my groggy state i would be more likely to shoot the cat rather than an attacker!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
But isn't that because in the UK knives are more likely to be carried than guns, so protection against being stabbed is a higher priority?
Yep, cos of the gun laws in the UK. While it's true that anyone hellbent on doing grievous bodily harm will find a way, you can at least RUN from someone with a knife and you can't be the victim of a drive-by kniving; I bet there are very few innocent bystander knivings.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:06 pm
ImHere

Personally I think the gun issue is overrated. Gang problems are far worse.
Agreed.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:07 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose

Yes. But also because knives can do far more damage.

Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I bet there are very few innocent bystander knivings.
I got a nasty papercut once when a colleague ran past me with a poster, does that count?

A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Read some of the work by John R. Lott
Why should we believe an author who fabricated his statistics, blamed newspaper editors for his own factual errors which he then repeated elsewhere, and created a completely fake persona in order to defend and puff his own works on the internet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lott
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:09 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Dant3
But you yourself, like most advocates of liberal gun control, are the most guilty of point B. It is you that is creating paranioa amongst the public in order to justify gun ownership. It is then those same people who advocate point C, such as 'Three Strikes And Your Out' and an increased use of the death penalty.

I dont think Ive ever said crime is out of control. Infact I think its the opposite. Im not paranoid and you'd never even know I was carrying a gun if you stood talking to me.

So I am assuming then you think tough penalties for criminals are bad because the create an illusion of more crime?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.