Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

guilty pleasures

guilty pleasures

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: guilty pleasures

If any of you miss Indian food I can recommend ishopindian.com , spend $75 and you get free shipping.

Mick
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:09 am
Account Closed

I_miss_real_beer is an unknown quantity at this point

John Smiths Extra Smooth bitter
Monster Munch
Penguin Bars
Ribena
GOOD curry
Kebabs (not these stupid gyro things)
playing pool with red and yellow balls
Drum Rolling tobacco
Eastenders

the list goes on...
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

lostinjersey is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok In Nj Stop and shop has ribena and lucozade as well as Kerrygold butter. Shop rite in emerson has Irish bangers at $4 lb for rashers and puddins I go into Woodlawn and Yonkers great irish community there and you can get anything u want there!!!
For live soccer etc rugby p2ptv has a few programs you can use to watch sky sports.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:33 am
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

I've got a PC HDMI'd into my TV on which I connect to a UK VPN which then allows me to watch BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4oD and CH5

Got an app for my iPhone that allows me to stream LBC radio wherever I am (though the connection speed is a little unreliable when driving).

For food my local SuperGiant has pickled onions, mushy peas, Colemans mustard, Branston, PG Tips and real baked beans (varies between Heinz and Bachelors) regularly. Also get intermittent supplies of choccy digestives, hob nobs, malteasers, minstrels, picalilly, Robinsons squash and a few other odds and sods.

Take an hour or so drive every few months to Best of Britain in Lancaster PA to stock up on pork pies, crisps, Bisto, Schweppes lemonade and some sweets.

Also got Stoney's pub just up the road which has some of the best fish and chips ever along with a couple of reasonable Indian restaurants.

The majority of what I watch, listen to and eat is American though.

What do I most want to find? A real kebab shop.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

lostinjersey is an unknown quantity at this point

ok the best fish and chips I have ever had ...exit 21 NYS Thruway onto 23 and just there the BBQ Barn, I found it 2 years ago 2 hours from NYC.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:59 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin
Got an app for my iPhone that allows me to stream LBC radio wherever I am (though the connection speed is a little unreliable when driving).
I have that app, too, but there's another one called Radio, which allows you to stream anything you can find on this site, OTHER than the BBC stations, which you can get on the site, but not on the app, for some reason.. I listen to 5 Live every day at work from this site, but it's not on a time delay, so I generally miss the Kermode and Mayo film reviews on Fridays now, as they finish at 9am EST. Still, that's what the podcast is for.

I have BBC America on FIOS, but don't really watch it that much. Other than that I get most of my news from Brit podcasts, and pick up other things I miss like Marmite and Branston wherever I find it. When I get some extra time, now I'm quite close to it, I recommend a place called The Butcher Block in Queens, which is a supermarket, butcher's and prepared food (like steak and kidney pies, etc.) place. Loved it when I lived out here, and it's only a few stops (40th Street) on the 7 Train from Manhattan in a pleasant old Irish neighborhood.