Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

guilty pleasures

guilty pleasures

Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: guilty pleasures

Twiglets and biscuits, from Maryland cookies to Chocolate Homewheat. Yes, you can get most in the US, but it's not quite the same paying $4 for a small packet of Homewheat vs. a quid for a big packet in the UK. They're good, but not *that* good

You should see my suitcase whenever I come back from my trips back to the UK -- crammed full of biscuits and other assorted junk. The only downside is that I always declare "packaged foods" on the customs form, but any mention of "food" and you nearly always have to go through agricultural control
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
My monitor nearly wore coffee when I read that, thanks for a laugh.

So where's my ****ing karma then you miserable git?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:32 am
Just Joined

PennyBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Cadbury Flakes
Devon cream and raspberry extra jam
Olive magazine
orange squash

Kronenborg, thanks for the tip on thebox!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

I still would like a source for SOREEN.
But apart from that, I'm good.

There isn't really anything (food-wise) that I really miss that much from England. I either use a substitute or I have changed my tastes to embrace the different foods available locally.

Last edited by helwardman; Jan 15th 2010 at 1:48 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:45 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
Is your real name Doreen?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Is your real name Doreen?
Only at the weekends.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Jiml is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone send me an invite to thebox.bz? I need my fix of Brit TV here in NC.

Cheers!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:25 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
But apart from that, I'm good.

There isn't really anything (food-wise) that I really miss that much from England. I either use a substitute or I have changed my tastes to embrace the different foods available locally.
I have to agree, except for the odd venture to World Markets for my McVities chocolate biccies

Originally Posted by Jiml
Can anyone send me an invite to thebox.bz? I need my fix of Brit TV here in NC.

Cheers!
Post another few hundred posts and you might get a reply, we get asked this all the time and none of us will send an invite to a newbie in fear of losing our own membershio for their misuse.

The Box is hit and miss try 2-3 times every day you will get there in the end.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I used to crave Cadbury but that is quite an easy fix, now I crave Thorntons chocy.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are:

Real Cadbury chocolate!
Maltesers
Heinz Baked Beans
Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup
Marmite

We have one proper English Shop in the area but it's a bit of a trek, but luckily there are several Cost Plus World Markets around here, that have all of the above and more to tempt us. A couple of the Italian grocery stores have a small English food section, and also the Indian shops around here have a few items.

Did anyone else notice the Cadbury Creme Eggs that are in all the stores at the moment are made in CANADA not the UK!!! What sacrilege! The insides are the same, but when you've licked out the middle and are left with the thick bit of chocolate at the end, it's so disappointing to have it not taste like it's supposed to.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

omnebonumabalto will become famous soon enough

I don't know where in the Garden State you are but you need to go to Kearney N.J. It is an area of Irish and Scottish people that has real Fish and Chip shops that you can sit down and eat at. The Thistle and The Argyle. Real butchers Camerons, and real bakers. Plus all the the places sell all the aforementioned goodies. We used to live near Wayne and would go for Saturday lunch and a walk round. It's a working class neighbourhood but when you have had your fish and chips and gone to the butchers you'll have this strange sense of where am I?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from World Market and they have Cadburys YES Cadburys not chuck up Hersheys, on sale $1.49 100g bar its from South Africa
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:39 am
Just Joined

omnebonumabalto will become famous soon enough

Just read this all again and saw the mention of Sirius Radio which I have in the car and the house. It's not in real time it's delayed. I listen to it in the morning and it's playing as though it was the morning in the UK. When I first got it I wanted to call in to answer the quiz until I realized they had all gone home.So much for my clever clogs idea.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:46 am
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point

what is thebox.bz?? and how do i get it?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B65
what is thebox.bz?? and how do i get it?
google or search the site and then find another site unless you already know someone who is on it because you won't get a invite being some random unknown person.

There's enough threads on the subject that you don't even need to search for it, it'll be on the first page, it came up yesterday and the day before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.