Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:33 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

Driving south on I-85 towards Atlanta yesterday afternoon, we hit almost stopped traffic. My exit was only 1 mile away so I was OK.

However, about 100+ cars started driving down the emergency lane to come off at the exit. How idiotic. I remember being taught how crucial it is that the emergency lane remain clear for emergency vehicles and do you wanna know what - I really believe these people did not realise the possible life and death consequences of their actions. There needs to be some money spent on education of the stupid drivers here !!!

On a less note, the emergency lane dead ended and so all those people had to cut back in and cut everyone waiting their turn to exit to come back. Idiots.

I can't wait for speed cameras, speed traps, cameras at lights and more control over this madness. I wasn't so up for them in the past but these people kill.......... and we need to at least TRY to stop them....

End of Rant.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:41 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

My pet driving peeve. Old codgers who can barely walk being behind the wheel. In this I include my Father in Law. He's had three strokes, is paralysed down one side of his body when he turns his head, can't walk unaided, his sight is going yet they still renewed his licence last year.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
Driving south on I-85 towards Atlanta yesterday afternoon, we hit almost stopped traffic. My exit was only 1 mile away so I was OK.

However, about 100+ cars started driving down the emergency lane to come off at the exit. How idiotic. I remember being taught how crucial it is that the emergency lane remain clear for emergency vehicles and do you wanna know what - I really believe these people did not realise the possible life and death consequences of their actions. There needs to be some money spent on education of the stupid drivers here !!!

On a less note, the emergency lane dead ended and so all those people had to cut back in and cut everyone waiting their turn to exit to come back. Idiots.

I can't wait for speed cameras, speed traps, cameras at lights and more control over this madness. I wasn't so up for them in the past but these people kill.......... and we need to at least TRY to stop them....

End of Rant.
Reminds me of in town here except they tear down the "chicken lane" (turn lane?) in the center of the road. So, if someone wants to turn left in half a mile, they just scream along the center lane for that half mile - crossing all the "left turn/right turn" arrows, and causing near-collisions with oncoming drivers who decide to turn left at the CORRECT place!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:46 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sibsie
My pet driving peeve. Old codgers who can barely walk being behind the wheel. In this I include my Father in Law. He's had three strokes, is paralysed down one side of his body when he turns his head, can't walk unaided, his sight is going yet they still renewed his licence last year.
You can spot them a mile off round here, Lincoln Towncars or Buicks. You know it's going to be a long drive home when you get stuck behind one.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, lack of decent signpost on the interstate doesn't help, certainly with regards to exits, they just suddenly appear, so lot of dodgy drivers that carve the road up because of it...

The continous use of stop signs on pretty much every junction is a little annoying as well.

Don't know if speed cameras and the like will do any good, they don't seem to work at slowing drivers down in the UK...but something certainly needs to be done...road awarness does seem to be a bit of an issue over here...and it's a bit weird how driving standards are quite varied between states...
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We have all these wonders in various parts of metropolitan Phoenix. It's a sort of randomized-city-hall-coffer-collecting system. Makes eff-all difference to driving habits.

Have come to the conclusion that if cities need more dosh, they should be honest about it and collect it as taxes, not use this crap.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:03 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
We have all these wonders in various parts of metropolitan Phoenix. It's a sort of randomized-city-hall-coffer-collecting system. Makes eff-all difference to driving habits..
Your probably right, just wishful thinking on my part

I must admit though, I was in the UK a few months back and people were definately driving slower and safer - maybe it wasn't the cameras - just my comparison to the USA
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit though, I was in the UK a few months back and people were definately driving slower and safer - maybe it wasn't the cameras - just my comparison to the USA
just knowing how to drive and park helps...certainly a lot more lack with drink/drunk driving attitudes over here, in maine at least.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:15 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Drivers using cellphones

You can always spot them. They are the ones driving 15 mph less than everyone else, paying absolutely no attention to anyone or anything around them. Hands-free, headphones, little star trek devices that stick in your ear - doesn't matter, they still drive like idiots. Drives me mad!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Think its mainly a case of Brits following the creed of not doing anything to inconvenience other road users, whereas Yanks prefer to ensure they do not inconvenience themselves.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Think its mainly a case of Brits following the creed of not doing anything to inconvenience other road users, whereas Yanks prefer to ensure they do not inconvenience themselves.
Not only do they not inconvenience themselves, they won't even give way or let you in even if it would not inconvenience them one iota.

After 4 years I'm still amazed how much less considerate drivers are here.

And I come from London FFS!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:57 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just one thing...it's the utter cluelessness of the whole affair. In England driving just makes sense and everybody follows an unwritten code of conduct. English drivers drive much faster and more assertively in my opinion, but they're much safer doing it because you can always predict them. Over here people do the stupidest most unpredictable things. Most people seem completely oblivious to the rest of the world. They pull out in front of you and then drive really slowly, or they undertake you at an insane speed, or they drift from lane to lane with no forethought or plan. I think the most annoying thing is that people just drive in whichever lane they want at whatever speed they want with no clue of how they're holding up other drivers, and if you happen to be in their way they drive 1 inch up your butt. When I was in England last month I really noticed how people stayed in the slow lane and only used the mddle or fast lane to overtake. There was virtually no lane hopping either. English drivers have a common courtesy that is sorely missing over here, and not just on the roads either. I miss roundabouts.

Last edited by Rockgurl; Apr 24th 2005 at 8:59 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

After 4 years I'm still amazed how much less considerate drivers are here.

And I come from London FFS!
I've noticed that when letting people in, they just don't expect it so stutter around for a bit...but I've seen a few drivers that were nice and let me in...so they ain't all bad...
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've noticed that when letting people in, they just don't expect it so stutter around for a bit...but I've seen a few drivers that were nice and let me in...so they ain't all bad...
Oh yes, I'm forever doing that (letting people in etc), but I often find that I have to use operatic hand signals to encourage them and convey to them that I really, really mean it!

Another thing I miss is the absence of flashing one's lights to convey one's intentions. Works so well back home, but here it's just not done...
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

Another thing I miss is the absence of flashing one's lights to convey one's intentions. Works so well back home, but here it's just not done...
problem with that is, a lot of people keep there fog lights or high beams on all the time that it's blinding...they do it because it helps spot deers and moose, but it's hardly needed in a city...so that gets a bit annoying, especially at day time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.