Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:44 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

Originally Posted by syllk
In a 55mph zone, doing more like 60mph, and I'm approaching green traffic lights...the person at the red light wants to do a right on red...they see me approaching at some speed...person inches forward, unsure whether to pull out or not...I'm extremely cautious now, I know what's about to happen...person inches forward and brakes again, trying hard to decide whether or not they can pull out in time...I pass the lights at 55mph...and have to hit the brakes hard...the ****er's decided to pull out, but have they bothered to punch the accelerator to get up to speed? Have they bastard feckity hell like. The feckers.

"...and that, officer, is when I pulled out my Glock and shot him. It was clearly provocation."

However bad they drive round here, they're still the ones with the guns, and I'm not!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:20 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Last month a woman drove through a crash barrier and over the side of a bridge whilst talking to her sister on her cell phone.
Santa Fe actually has a law banning cell phone use while driving. Unfortunately it does not pay as well as speeding.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
"...and that, officer, is when I pulled out my Glock and shot him. It was clearly provocation."

However bad they drive round here, they're still the ones with the guns, and I'm not!
Hehe, don't get mad get even Follow the link below, I'm sure that'd impress the Texas locals!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...s/1277336.html
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

ahh.. I had a moment where I laughed SOOO hard I nearly crashed last week...

typical LA scene - woman in car priced at roughly a 2bed condo driving just a little to my left... she's eating a hotdog, talking on her mobile phone and driving with her knee whilst making sure she doesn't smudge her makeup... she was swaying back and forth so I backed off a little letting her get in front of me...

I got stopped at the next light; she didn't....

5mins later... I passed her, her nice Lexus Condo had become one with 2 parked cars about a mile up the road... I almost didn't notice the next red light I laughed sooo hard...
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:37 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
ahh.. I had a moment where I laughed SOOO hard I nearly crashed last week...

typical LA scene - woman in car priced at roughly a 2bed condo driving just a little to my left... she's eating a hotdog, talking on her mobile phone and driving with her knee whilst making sure she doesn't smudge her makeup... she was swaying back and forth so I backed off a little letting her get in front of me...

I got stopped at the next light; she didn't....

5mins later... I passed her, her nice Lexus Condo had become one with 2 parked cars about a mile up the road... I almost didn't notice the next red light I laughed sooo hard...
I can't understand why most drivers in the US love to eat and drink when they drive. Don't they eat enough indoors?

NC Penguin
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I can't understand why most drivers in the US love to eat and drink when they drive. Don't they eat enough indoors?

NC Penguin
By eating whilst driving they don't notice what cr4p they're eating.

Problem is they don't notice where they're going either...
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:42 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
You can spot them a mile off round here, Lincoln Towncars or Buicks. You know it's going to be a long drive home when you get stuck behind one.
When the current generation of Buick buyers dies, will the next generation (me?) buy them ?

Judging by the recent press comments that either the Pontiac or Buick brands may go away - maybe not.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I was hit by an 82 year old driving a Lincoln Town. When I heard the crunch I looked out of my rear view mirror at what I thought was an empty car until the door opened and out stepped a very small old lady. I started shouting at her and she asked what was the matter, she didn't even realise she had hit me. She had turned right on a red light without seeing me. When the police came I explained the situation and that I had the phone numbers of several witnesses. When Officer O'Brien asked the woman what color the traffic signal was when she turned right her reply was what traffic signal. Her husband called me later in the day and offered to pay for the damage to my car which he did. Looking back I should have let the insurance and police deal with it and there would have been one less dangerous driver on the road.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Grrrr - my driving pet peeve

Originally Posted by mandpete
I was hit by an 82 year old driving a Lincoln Town. When I heard the crunch I looked out of my rear view mirror at what I thought was an empty car until the door opened and out stepped a very small old lady. I started shouting at her and she asked what was the matter, she didn't even realise she had hit me. She had turned right on a red light without seeing me. When the police came I explained the situation and that I had the phone numbers of several witnesses. When Officer O'Brien asked the woman what color the traffic signal was when she turned right her reply was what traffic signal. Her husband called me later in the day and offered to pay for the damage to my car which he did. Looking back I should have let the insurance and police deal with it and there would have been one less dangerous driver on the road.
There is an old widowed man who lives a couple of doors away from me aged 97 (I've never even seen him) but another neighbour says he only stopped driving when he was 94 as he'd driven into a pedestrian! Fortunately he was driving so slowly that the pedestrian only had minor injuries, but his son (who flew up from Arizona) turned his father's driving licence over to the New Jersey DMV and sold his car. The poor chap relies on his friends to do his shopping and bringing in meals for him. The problem is, with no public transport in the suburbs, old people are practically trapped in their homes without a car. I've seen old people reversing into other cars in their huge Lincolns, Oldsmobiles and Buicks in supermarket car parks or outside the Post Office (they can't or won't turn their heads and they're oblivious to the blind spots in their mirrors) and they don't even realise that they've damaged another car.

Back in Blighty of course, people get their bus passes at retirement age - my mum thinks hers is great, she can use it from 9.30am onwards and can travel virtually anywhere in the West Midlands free of charge. It's really funny watching all the old dears congregating at the bus stops at 9.25am like it's a social event and they all love having a good chinwag - you just don't see that 'camaraderie' over here.....but what good would a free bus pass do in most places in the US?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
T
Back in Blighty of course, people get their bus passes at retirement age ...but what good would a free bus pass do in most places in the US?
What good indeed. Another reason why I would not want to grow old here (healthcare being another...). I want to be able to hop on the # 14 and head down to Piccadilly, even when I'm 90+
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Back in Blighty of course, people get their bus passes at retirement age - my mum thinks hers is great, she can use it from 9.30am onwards and can travel virtually anywhere in the West Midlands free of charge. It's really funny watching all the old dears congregating at the bus stops at 9.25am like it's a social event and they all love having a good chinwag - you just don't see that 'camaraderie' over here.....but what good would a free bus pass do in most places in the US?
Back in Oxford, oap's can use there pass after 8am, not free, but anywhere in the city a return ticket is 20p for rides crossing 2 or more zones, anything less is 10p...my mother loves it
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand why most drivers in the US love to eat and drink when they drive. Don't they eat enough indoors? ....
Obviously not!

I blame it on automatics with cruise control - the cars virtually drive themselves, so the "drivers" get board, and being American, their natural tendency is to want to eat something.

About the craziest thing I have seen is a woman driving an SUV, in the rush hour, on the interstate, in four lines of solid traffic, doing 50mph, and she is eating .... a bowl of cereal!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

NC Penguin
doggie bags from restraunts
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:37 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Obviously not!

I blame it on automatics with cruise control - the cars virtually drive themselves, so the "drivers" get board, and being American, their natural tendency is to want to eat something.

About the craziest thing I have seen is a woman driving an SUV, in the rush hour, on the interstate, in four lines of solid traffic, doing 50mph, and she is eating .... a bowl of cereal!
Thing is that I drive mostly in the "city" and I see people consuming all manner of food and drink in their vehicles while driving. Fortunately, I've yet to see someone eating a bowl of cereal.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:40 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Obviously not!

I saw, on the way into work one morning, a woman doing her make-up using the visor mirror and holding a paperback book open on the steering wheel with the other hand - at 50 mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.