Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Green Card Timeline

Green Card Timeline

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Green Card Timeline

Can anyone who has gone through an employment-based GC application recently give me a general idea of how long it takes?

Once I get approval I intend to get my AOS/visa through consular processing in the UK, so I'm really trying to find out how long the "first bit" takes.

I've been on an H1B for 4 yrs, with 2 left (ending May 2006), and intend to submit my application at the end of the summer, under the exceptional professor status. Our university immigration person is not too helpful or competent, so I don't trust her advice.

I know this belongs on the US Immigration board, but I've posted it twice and got very little in the way of helpful responses. I was pretty surprised as I don't think it's a particularly complicated question. My guess is that there are plenty of people on this board who do not visit the Immigration boards.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:38 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

only Consular Processing is down via the UK, AOS will be handled in the USA.

Check out http://www.cptracker.com which shoes how long all the steps take after an I-140 is approved, and an estimate of how long the I-140 will take can be found at: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

Good Luck
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, we are about to start the application for an employment based green card. My husband currently has an H1b visa.

The attorney my husbands company have hired told us it could take anywhere between two and four years - have you had any luck getting any timeline info?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

If you live in the areas covered by the Nebraska processing centre, apparently they're up to date with GC processing - I've been told by a company based in Iowa that they can get the first part of the process completed in 10 weeks and the whole thing through in less than 2 years.

The other processing centres (which unfotunately NC falls into, I think it's the Texas one, but I could be wrong) have processing delays up to and over two years before someone actually looks at the paperwork....

Luckily I've just moved to WA, if I can land a job with GC processing chucked in, it should be handled by Nebraska....
Old Jul 17th 2004, 1:58 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Big Vern
If you live in the areas covered by the Nebraska processing centre, apparently they're up to date with GC processing

You're funny.

We've been waiting nearly two and a half years and they're still several months away from even looking at our paperwork, and they're getting slower. That company in Iowa are making promises they can't keep.

http://www.visapro.com/Nebraska-Service-Center.asp

Currently processing applications received on the 1st of Feb, 2002.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

The lying b@stards!