Martha

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Martha

5 months in prison, 5 months home confinement.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Martha

Originally posted by manc1976
Give's her time to count her money.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

If she goes to her local nick she can get 12 cents an hour cutting the grass, but my money is on for next year releases of books on designer jail cells, gourmet maggots and peas and 500 things to make with mailbags.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by manc1976
It is a jolly good thing. She got off lucky, she could have got a lot more. This restores a minute amount of faith in the justice system.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Slap on the wrists for her.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 5:13 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

She hasn't gone down.

What is it about the American justice system ?
When you get sentenced by the judge the usual proceedure after this is the uniforms stick some shackles on you and lead you away to the cells.

But she's wasn't taken down - went back home.
Apparanlty her lawyers are sorting out appeals, so this means still free as a bird until they make a deal and eventually wriggles out of it.
(Money talks here - you can buy yourself out of anything.)

Should have got a 1 stretch by the way. Five months is piffle.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

If she goes to prison at all it will be in one of those minimum security golf club deals, where she'll be able to coordinate the uniforms with the curtains.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

You see what happened to her stocks after the announcement???

Wonder if she bought stocks just before she spoke?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:31 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AndySmithers
You see what happened to her stocks after the announcement???

Wonder if she bought stocks just before she spoke?
And did you follow the speech? "Don't take it out on my employees, they aren't to blame"

"More than 200 people have lost their jobs at my company as a result of this situation. I want them to know how very, very sorry I am for them and their families. I would like to thank everybody who stood by me, who wished me well, waved to me on the street...smiled at me, called me, wrote to me. We received thousands of support letters and more than 170,000 emails to Marthatalks.com, and I appreciate each and every one of those pieces of correspondence. I really feel good about it.

"Perhaps all of you out there could continue to show your support by subscribing to our magazine, by buying our products, by encouraging our advertisers to come back in full force to our magazines. Whatever happens to me personally shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the great company Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia.

"And I don't want to use this as a sales pitch for my company, but we love that company, we've worked so hard on that company, and we really think it merits great attention from the American public.

What a crock of crap. Only if she donated all her shares to charity. In fact that should have been the sentence.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:44 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by effi
It is a jolly good thing. She got off lucky, she could have got a lot more. This restores a minute amount of faith in the justice system.
You think 5 months for what she did is a fair sentence?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jambo_2004
You think 5 months for what she did is a fair sentence?
No I don't, I think it should have been a lot more. This woman was a director of the NYSE, so I think she probably had a pretty good idea of what she was doing, she lied about a shady stock deal. She said today that this started out as a small personal matter, wrong, it was a felony, she just did not expect to get caught. She was greedy to the tune of $200K, what does that tell you about her character, she is a multi millionaire for CS. This was a piddling amount of money for someone in her position. to lose The whole case though revolves around obstruction of justice. She was charged with 4 felony counts, they should have thrown the book at her. Of course it will be months before she has to spend any time in jail, what with all the appeals etc. I don't know why she just does not get it over with, it might help to save her company. I know the stocks are up today, but I don't think that will last for too long.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 3:14 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Latest Martha:

She compared herself to Nelson Mandela on an ABC interview ->

"When asked how she would handle prison food, fellow inmates and strip searches, she said, "I could do it … I'm a really good camper. I can sleep on the ground.… If it is looming ahead of me, I'm going to have to face it, and take it and do it and get it over with. And there's many other people that have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela."

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/..._040716-1.html

-----

Wrote to the judge to plead her case and mentions all the charitable work she's done.

"Martha cited cocoa, baked bread, poor Peruvians in leniency bid"

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...43martha1.html

-----

And finally...

Martha's prison diary:

"7:00 - Breakfast in the dining hall; silverware was plastic! Centerpiece was a galvanized bucket with no decorations whatsoever! Napkins? Get this: the sleeve of my jumpsuit!!! **** that; it's unconstitutional!"

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/07/17/062810.php