Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Green Card Question

Green Card Question

Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Sniganoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card Question

Is there any way to get a Green Card based on the amount of time you have been working in the US? For example, if you work in the UK as an alien for 4 years you get the equivalent of a Green Card. Is there a similar situation in the US or do you have to just apply like aeveryone else and wait 3 years.

Many Thanks,

Steve
Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Question

Originally posted by Sniganoo
Is there any way to get a Green Card based on the amount of time you have been working in the US? For example, if you work in the UK as an alien for 4 years you get the equivalent of a Green Card. Is there a similar situation in the US or do you have to just apply like aeveryone else and wait 3 years.

Many Thanks,

Steve
Depend on what visa you are on ..is it a immigrant or non-immigrant type
Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

I am on an H1-B and I am approaching 4 years in the US (I recently had my H1-B extended). If I apply now for a Green Card I my H1-B will have expired in 2 years and I doubt the Green Card will have processed by then. I am getting tired of getting nervous every time I have to switch sponsors due to forced job changes. I have been told that working for 4 years in the US can be a way to get a Green Card.

Thanks for your quick reply.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 8:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sniganoo
I am on an H1-B and I am approaching 4 years in the US (I recently had my H1-B extended). If I apply now for a Green Card I my H1-B will have expired in 2 years and I doubt the Green Card will have processed by then. I am getting tired of getting nervous every time I have to switch sponsors due to forced job changes. I have been told that working for 4 years in the US can be a way to get a Green Card.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I an no expert in H1-B and it is a non-immigrant visa but this seems to apply to you.

Extensions beyond Six Years for H-1Bs Awaiting Green Cards:
H-1B nonimmigrants will be permitted to apply for one-year extensions beyond the six-year maximum provided that they have either filed an I-140 immigration application or an I-485 adjustment of status application AND that one year or more has passed since the filing of labor certification or the I-140. This important development enables H-1B workers who have reached the six year maximum to stay and continue working in the U.S. while waiting for their green cards. Prior to this, such individuals were forced to leave the U.S. if they had not received their green card in time.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that information. It is much appreciated.