Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Great places to live in the US??

Great places to live in the US??

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:24 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great places to live in the US??

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Seasons are refreshing, and I like the 'Englishness' of the east coast. There are lots of village-like towns near the large cities. We ended up in Ohio for family reasons, but even here we found a suburb/village that reminds me of west London (Chiswick/Richmond) where I lived. It was founded in 1800s, old church on the green, town centre with post office, shops, cafes, library, 2 pubs, all within walking distance, yet parking is free/plentiful when we need to drive. And, the historical committee has blocked the fast food guys from moving in--not a McDonald's in site. Just an example of the type of suburbs that can be found, if you're not interested.

If I had my choice where to live then I would go east--all places suggested thus far are worth a look.

Try these, too for more info (I can't remember specifically how helpful any of them are overall).

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/

http://www.city-data.com/

http://www.findyourspot.com/
I just did one survey and it came up with numerous citiies in Virginia and North Carolina, 3 cities in Pennsylvania, Albany and Long Island NY were other options
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I just did one survey and it came up with numerous citiies in Virginia and North Carolina, 3 cities in Pennsylvania, Albany and Long Island NY were other options

You don't want to live in a city with small children do you....a village or as they say here town...with city access is best. I did post a link to the 'towns' around here then deleted it...I'll PM it to you Tom.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be nosy but what are you planning to do for work?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sorry to be nosy but what are you planning to do for work?
As Ray would say....You nosey cow.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

I know you said you'd like the East, but you might want to consider the Pacific northwest. Seattle is a wonderful city, though rent can be a bit pricey. There is a lot of cultural life there and jobs. Portland is cheap to live in and one of the most beautiful places you can live in the U.S. It, too, has a lot of cultural life. In both places the people are unusually sane, friendly and happy and the crime rate in low. There is very little illiteracy in that part of the country and most people are fairly well educated compared to the rest of the country. The religious fanaticism that afflicts much of the U.S. is less evident there, too.The air is very fresh and clean and there is a lot of greenery everywhere. Eugene, Oregon is another great place to live, a university town, though jobs can sometimes be scarce. There is a lot of rain and some snow in the Pacific northwest area, but it has mild winters compared to the Eastern cities.

I agree with the other people here that Boston has a good cultural atmosphere, civilized etc.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Okay, it's decision time. Having been here 20 years I'm thinking it's time to move on from CA due to various personal reasons. Where is a good place to relocate

i.e stable economy, safe, good school districts for kids, relatively affordable housing etc. etc.
I'm thinking somewhere that is accessible to major eastern cities such as NY, Philadelphia???, Washington DC for some culture, history and art galleries. Being a city boy I don't think I'd like to be too far out in the sticks and nowhere too hot like AZ, TX, NV.

Any ideas or recommendations, please give me your reasons why you would recommend it?
Williamsburg, Virginia. (or the surroundings)
Its close to Yorktown - but lets not mention the war (also 4 hrs to DC).
As far as the US goes, it is quite historical, low crime, nice weather, clean and good for work: not sure what you do for a living, but the place is quite affluent.

PS There is a grocery store which sells bangers and real beer also.

Last edited by gardnma; Nov 3rd 2006 at 10:45 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Despite what everyone says I love living in NJ - Mercer County to be exact. We are about an hour from NY City, 40 minutes from Philly and 40 minutes from the shore.

Housing wise you get more for your money here than in Northern Jersey.

NJ is ranked as one of the best states in the country when it comes to public education.

We like to walk along the D&R canal and visit lots of the historic towns along the Delaware River. We live about 10 minutes from the center of Princeton and love to stroll around the university area - plus there are quite a few decent restaurants in Princeton.

We have proper seasons, hot/humid summers, cold/snowy winters and very colorful autumns.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend NJ (even though I have never lived anywhere else in the US).

Oh I nearly forgot we also have a lovely Wegmans very close by too.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Williamsburg, Virginia. (or the surroundings)
Its close to Yorktown - but lets not mention the war (also 4 hrs to DC).
As far as the US goes, it is quite historical, low crime, nice weather, clean and good for work: not sure what you do for a living, but the place is quite affluent.
Even I would say it's very nice there Tom, only an hour from the Sea, very Posh you would fit right in
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mandpete
Despite what everyone says I love living in NJ - Mercer County to be exact. We are about an hour from NY City, 40 minutes from Philly and 40 minutes from the shore.

Housing wise you get more for your money here than in Northern Jersey.

NJ is ranked as one of the best states in the country when it comes to public education.

We like to walk along the D&R canal and visit lots of the historic towns along the Delaware River. We live about 10 minutes from the center of Princeton and love to stroll around the university area - plus there are quite a few decent restaurants in Princeton.

We have proper seasons, hot/humid summers, cold/snowy winters and very colorful autumns.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend NJ (even though I have never lived anywhere else in the US).

Oh I nearly forgot we also have a lovely Wegmans very close by too.

Only Gruff was allowed to use the 'W' word.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Only Gruff was allowed to use the 'W' word.

I think I was the one who introduced Gruff to W.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Even I would say it's very nice there Tom, only an hour from the Sea, very Posh you would fit right in

Hmmmhh... Perhaps a tad boring for our Tom,wouldn't you say?

And I'm not sure how easily he'd mix with the locals
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:48 pm
Homebody

Are you 2 going to fight?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you 2 going to fight?
No, I've just had my tea.

Just noticed this is my 1000th post - not bad seeing as though I've been a member for over 3 years.

Last edited by mandpete; Nov 3rd 2006 at 10:56 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah but it reminds me of him....just not the same without the zany dancing chicken man.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmhh... Perhaps a tad boring for our Tom,wouldn't you say?

And I'm not sure how easily he'd mix with the locals
Well he can mix with me any time, I'm only down the road from there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.