Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Great locations for a family?

Wikiposts

Great locations for a family?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great locations for a family?

Originally Posted by tentonne
Thanks for your concern and for the welcome!

I just noticed Atlas MR are actually advertising at the bottom of this page!
well it's easy to promise, but have a search on the forums and you'll quickly see that things have changed over the last year, making it a lot tougher.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just pop the word 'retrogression' into the search box (top right) and you'll soon find many other threads from people about this. From what I understand, the agencies are still promising things because they want your money but there is no way of them delivering. I know that one of our members who is a nurse, Silverdragon, has been in the queue and waiting for her visa since 2002!!

You only option is to be prepared to wait a long, long time for a visa and hope things change, or to consider another country (Canada is v easy and quick for nurses to get to if that helps at all?).

Best of luck.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You only option is to be prepared to wait a long, long time for a visa and hope things change, or to consider another country (Canada is v easy and quick for nurses to get to if that helps at all?).
I wouldn't say that Canada is "v easy" for nurses, but it is more straightforward than the United States, in visa terms.

Australia is the most straightforward migration option, at least for those under 45.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I wouldn't say that Canada is "v easy" for nurses, but it is more straightforward than the United States, in visa terms.

Australia is the most straightforward migration option, at least for those under 45.
A job offer for a nurse in Canada can be obtained within a week, LMO (which the hospital applies for, no paperwork required by applicant) takes approx 6 weeks and then TWP (2 page form) can be applied for at POE so the whole process can take no more than 8 weeks. That is common for nurses in the Canada forum, they're lucky enough to be one of the few occupations that can get there quickly and also have a pick of where in Canada they want to go.

I have no idea about Australia but 8 weeks and a 2 page form seems 'v easy' in immigration terms to me.

Edited to add this Wiki article which may be of use to the OP just in case Canada is of interest............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nursing-Canada

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 8th 2008 at 5:48 am.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A job offer for a nurse in Canada can be obtained within a week, LMO (which the hospital applies for, no paperwork required by applicant) takes approx 6 weeks and then TWP (2 page form) can be applied for at POE so the whole process can take no more than 8 weeks. That is common for nurses in the Canada forum, they're lucky enough to be one of the few occupations that can get there quickly and also have a pick of where in Canada they want to go.

I have no idea about Australia but 8 weeks and a 2 page form seems 'v easy' in immigration terms to me.

Temporary residence, with all its inherent hassles and risks, does not count as "v easy" immigration. Permanent residence from Day 1 is available in Australia.

Nurses also usually have to do conversion exams in Canada, not in Australia.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JAJ
Temporary residence, with all its inherent hassles and risks, does not count as "v easy" immigration.
Perhaps I'm missing something but a TWP is far less hassle than PR, and I don't see where the risk for the OP would be? Don't forget that permanent residence can be applied for as soon as the applicant is in Canada working and takes around 6-9 months to obtain.

As I said, I have no idea about Australia so didn't have a clue how that compared, but I suggested Canada to the OP as most people think it's very similar to the US and is at least not far from the UK.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 9th 2008 at 3:47 am.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:14 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
We live in hamilton county indiana, voted by forbes as the best county in America to raise a family, Fishers, in hamilton, was 10th in the best cities to live in in the usa.

we love it here, great schools, great and crap weather, amazing people - loads to do.
While Forbes is a fine establishment, there was a study recently (yesterday?) on Yahoo from Business Week and Fort Wayne was # 1 in the Hoosier State.
Yayyyyyyyyyy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...Your-Kids-2009

'Mon the Zoo
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:51 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
While Forbes is a fine establishment, there was a study recently (yesterday?) on Yahoo from Business Week and Fort Wayne was # 1 in the Hoosier State.
Yayyyyyyyyyy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...Your-Kids-2009

'Mon the Zoo
I used to work for a company (Lincoln) whose HQ was in fort wayne!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:38 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
I used to work for a company (Lincoln) whose HQ was in fort wayne!

So did the mother-in-law. Job eliminated after 21 years and wasn't re-hired as she didn't have a degree. Nice. They still have a presence here in the Summit City.