Unreported Child of a US citizen...need advice

Unreported Child of a US citizen...need advice

Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:27 am
Just Joined

confusedgirly is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Unreported Child of a US citizen...need advice

hi all,

I hope someone may be able to help.

I am the daughter of a US citizen (my father), I currently hold a british passport (my mother is british). parents are divorced. My birth was not reported to the US embassy as we were unware that we needed and I have lived in britain only travelling to the USA every year on a holiday visa. I am in the process of trying to obtain my dual citizenship but have been told that due to my date of birth 21/06/1986 the requirements are slightly different, I must show proof that my father financially supported me up until the age of 18 but I have no proof of this. does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do or has anyone been in a similar situation?

look forward to finding out.

thanks

confused girly
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:20 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unreported Child of a US citizen...need advice

Were your parents married when you were born? If so, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States for a cumulative period (or periods totaling) ten years before you were born, at least five years of which were after the U.S. citizen parent reached the age of fourteen. If this requirement is met, you acquire U.S. citizenship under the provisions of Section 301(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. There is no requirement that your father financially supported you. Just apply for a US passport to get proof of your citizenship if you qualify.

Originally Posted by confusedgirly
hi all,

I hope someone may be able to help.

I am the daughter of a US citizen (my father), I currently hold a british passport (my mother is british). parents are divorced. My birth was not reported to the US embassy as we were unware that we needed and I have lived in britain only travelling to the USA every year on a holiday visa. I am in the process of trying to obtain my dual citizenship but have been told that due to my date of birth 21/06/1986 the requirements are slightly different, I must show proof that my father financially supported me up until the age of 18 but I have no proof of this. does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do or has anyone been in a similar situation?

look forward to finding out.

thanks

confused girly

Last edited by dreamercon; Nov 12th 2008 at 12:23 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

They married in the USA in florida when I was 3 years of age does this make a difference?

thank you
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

They married in the USA in florida when I was 3 years of age does this make a difference?

thank you
Were they living in Florida? Just so we're clear, this is your natural birth father (the USC) but they did not marry until 3 years after you were born, right?

Did your father ever live in the US, and if so, from what age to what age?

I think we've had a thread re. something similar, I'll have a hunt.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

thank you

I don't if the rules changed on this since 1948 but I became a USC automatically once my biological father who was a USC married my German citizens mother.

Suggest that you read:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

I had not heard anything about support needing to have been paid in order to claim parentage.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
Yep -- they need to have been married at the time of your birth not to have had the additional complication. This may not fly if your parents didn't do the requisite paperwork at the right time.

If this direct route doesn't work, your father can always sponsor you -- but there's a long wait. Additionally, there's some strange route through your grandparents -- but unfortunately it's beyond my peon brain. One day I intend to research it and understand it -- but I haven't got there yet.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
There is no requirement that your father financially supported you. Just apply for a US passport to get proof of your citizenship if you qualify.
Yes, there is for the law at the time of her birth.

Originally Posted by Rete
I had not heard anything about support needing to have been paid in order to claim parentage.
It's come up once or twice on these boards.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

re Tracey -

yes this is my biological father and his family have lived in the states and been citizens for many generations.

he was born in the USA and still resides there.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

re - tracey

also, they did not live in the USA but were married in FLorida, USA and then we moved to the UK. yes they got married when i was 3years old
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

re - tracey

also, they did not live in the USA but were married in FLorida, USA and then we moved to the UK. yes they got married when i was 3years old
So, just to clarify (sorry, i'm not fully awake yet) you were born in the UK to a USC father and a UKC mother. Your birth was not reported to the US embassy. Then, 3 years after you were born, your parents married in Florida. You all moved back to the UK (where you still live). Your parents then later divorced.

Your USC father was born, raised and still lives in the USA? Did he spend at least 5 years living in the US after he reached the age of 14, and prior to your birth? Is he listed as your father on your UK birth certificate? If the answers to these questions are yes, then, in my layman's opinion, it sounds to me like you could already be a USC.

However, since they didn't officially marry until you were 3, I suppose this could add in that additional requirement of financial support, which I have no knowledge of. I hope someone else can pipe up with help for you.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 12th 2008 at 1:24 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:24 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Your USC father was born, raised and still lives in the USA? Did he spend at least 5 years living in the US after he reached the age of 14, and prior to your birth? Is he listed as your father on your UK birth certificate? If the answers to these questions are yes, then, in my layman's opinion, it sounds to me like you could already be a USC.
You missed out the fact she was born out of wedlock and the USC was the father. Additional steps had to be taken before she turned 18 to clinch her US citizenship. If these weren't done, she's SOL.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You missed out the fact she was born out of wedlock and the USC was the father. Additional steps had to be taken before she turned 18 to clinch her US citizenship. If these weren't done, she's SOL.

ok you are using all these terms about me that i dont understand!

what is SOL?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

So, just to clarify (sorry, i'm not fully awake yet) you were born in the UK to a USC father and a UKC mother. Your birth was not reported to the US embassy. Then, 3 years after you were born, your parents married in Florida. You all moved back to the UK (where you still live). Your parents then later divorced.

However, since they didn't officially marry until you were 3, I suppose this could add in that additional requirement of financial support, which I have no knowledge of. I hope someone else can pipe up with help for you.
ok...heres the story
i was born in tenerife, spain, we went to USA where mum and dad married then came to the UK where i have been ever since.

my father had lived in the US all his life. he is on my birth certificate.

hope that wat you needed to know
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

ok you are using all these terms about me that i dont understand!

what is SOL?
SOL = shit out of luck. It's a quaint American saying.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

SOL = shit out of luck. It's a quaint American saying.

oh thats very nice isnt it! haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.