From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

  • Nursing in Canada is subject to provincial regulation, so you need to decide which province you want to go to first.

  • Look at coast versus inland, climate, size of community, city or rural, etc., and perhaps arrange to visit your area of choice for a reccie before making up your mind.

  • Getting licensed in Canada is a two-step process.
    • First you have to get provincial approval of your UK training.
    • Next, you have to take the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam. (However, many provinces allow you to start working on a provisional basis, and give you up to 12 months in which to pass the exam.)
      • You can purchase a study guide from the Canadian Nurses Association bookstore, but you may well pay a lot in shipping.
      • If you are a member of the RCN you may be able to borrow a study guide from their library for a small fee.
      • The CNA also have an "online readiness test" which you can access for a small fee.
      • The Canadian Registered Nurse Exam (CRNE) is held three times a year -- in February, June and October.
      • You have to take the CRNE in Canada.
      • The CRNE is held on the same day, all across Canada.

  • It is worth noting that some provinces require a degree; others still accept a diploma.

  • The CNA website has a page that provides links to Provincial and Territorial Regulatory Bodies. You can then consult the website of the regulatory body in the province or territory to which you are interested in moving to find out that province or territory's registration requirements.

  • As far as getting a job is concerned, there are loads of opportunities for internationally trained nurses in Canada. Generally speaking, an employer expects you to get your training transcripts approved for the province in which the employer is located, so that the employer can be sure that you are eligible for registration in Canada.

  • The process of getting your UK training recognized by a provincial regulatory body may take weeks, or it may take months. A lot depends on how geared up they are where you trained.

  • If you visit Canada on a reccie, it would be advisable to contact the Human Resources Department of the hospital at which you want to work. Ask for an informal meeting and tour, even if you haven't yet applied for a job. They will value the personal approach. If you can't do this, then at least phone them for a chat.

  • The Wiki article called Scouting Trip has excellent suggestions for making the most of your time.

  • Once you want to apply, convert your British CV to a Canadian resume. Please see the Be Wiki article on Resumes.

  • If you get an interview, it probably will be on the phone. Please see the Wiki article called Job Interviews. Also ask on the BE forum about interview questions that are specific to nursing.

  • As a registered nurse, you have a good chance of getting into Canada on a temporary work permit. Alternatively, you could apply through one of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs), which lead to permanent residence.

  • If you enter Canada on a temporary work permit, your spouse or common-law partner will be entitled to a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP).

  • As far as midwifery is concerned, not all provinces have UK-style midwives. In several Canadian provinces midwives are independent practitioners, operating private practices outside of the provincial health care insurance plans. For a more detailed explanation, please see the BE Wiki article entitled Midwifery.

  • The British Expats website has a discussion forum for Nursing.