Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Be grateful for the NHS!

Be grateful for the NHS!

Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:42 pm
Banned

sid50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Be grateful for the NHS!

As someone who worked in healthcare in the UK I was sick to the back teeth regarding the general abuse and ungratefulness the British people had towards healthcare workers there.

Because they didnt pay anything directly for the service they had no value for it. Trying to self manage a cold was too much for them there. They would run to a GP with 5 mins of sore throat.

The US should be a wake up call for Brits. no abuse of the system there, you can ask for whatever you want just get your AMEX out beforehand.

the NHS will go eventually and it will disappear due to the abuse and demands of the consumers using it and no other reason than that!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be grateful for the NHS!

It depends on your situation. The US health care system is great if you have access to it i.e. the right health insurance. It's the health insurance system that is the real problem.

Here in the US, I have access to doctors and other medical services at really short notice simply because I have a decent health insurance plan (which also adds dental, vision and prescription coverage). In the UK, I would likely have much less access to (and longer waits for) medical services.

However, if you don't have health insurance in the US, then you're in trouble if you get sick. People in this situation would be better off with the UK system.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid50
As someone who worked in healthcare in the UK I was sick to the back teeth regarding the general abuse and ungratefulness the British people had towards healthcare workers there.

Because they didnt pay anything directly for the service they had no value for it. Trying to self manage a cold was too much for them there. They would run to a GP with 5 mins of sore throat.

The US should be a wake up call for Brits. no abuse of the system there, you can ask for whatever you want just get your AMEX out beforehand.

the NHS will go eventually and it will disappear due to the abuse and demands of the consumers using it and no other reason than that!

I think you're preaching to the converted.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It depends on your situation. The US health care system is great if you have access to it i.e. the right health insurance. It's the health insurance system that is the real problem.

Here in the US, I have access to doctors and other medical services at really short notice simply because I have a decent health insurance plan (which also adds dental, vision and prescription coverage). In the UK, I would likely have much less access to (and longer waits for) medical services.

However, if you don't have health insurance in the US, then you're in trouble if you get sick. People in this situation would be better off with the UK system.
You can get the same stuff at short notice in the UK if you opt for private healthcare too.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think you're preaching to the converted.

Although it was nice to ring the orthodontist for one of my daughters and get an appointment for next week (called on Tuesday)....although slightly worried about the cost as we are only 50% covered for orthodontic care (up to a max of $5K then it's no cover )....yikes!

In the UK my other daughter was put on the waiting list just before we came over here and we got a letter saying there was an 18mth waiting list for the initial appt and then another 18mth waiting list for treatment!!! I think if it was 'urgent' we would have paid to go privately but thankfully our dentist took the waiting list's into account and referred her early!! Anyone know how much braces cost here?!?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig

Although it was nice to ring the orthodontist for one of my daughters and get an appointment for next week (called on Tuesday)....although slightly worried about the cost as we are only 50% covered for orthodontic care (up to a max of $5K then it's no cover )....yikes!

In the UK my other daughter was put on the waiting list just before we came over here and we got a letter saying there was an 18mth waiting list for the initial appt and then another 18mth waiting list for treatment!!! I think if it was 'urgent' we would have paid to go privately but thankfully our dentist took the waiting list's into account and referred her early!! Anyone know how much braces cost here?!?
I think around $5/6K.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think around $5/6K.
Thanks, that's probably why the max is $5K...will start saving as my middle one has been referred for over crowding...she has a small mouth apparently....just a lot comes out of it!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:09 pm
Banned

why do you think the NHS is full of whining malingering hyperchondriacs? Its because its free. You think if they had to pay to get all that stuff done they would?

Hell no!!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just look at Whitney.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:22 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

And 'free' prescriptions in Scotland, I just paid $102 for a nasal spray for the dude which will last 30 days as we haven't met our $3000 prescription deductible (that's a whole lots of drugs!!!) and it has no generic alternative.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, there is still abuse of the system in the US. People who have no deductible (or who have already reached their deductible limit for the year) can go to town on medical services at no or reduced cost.

There are 6 people in my family and our annual deductible is reached every year. So we have absolutely no incentive not to go seek medical services because we know that our deductible will be reached at some point anyway - usually before June. So we essentially have access to free medical care during the 2nd half of the year.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
And 'free' prescriptions in Scotland, I just paid $102 for a nasal spray for the dude which will last 30 days as we haven't met our $3000 prescription deductible (that's a whole lots of drugs!!!) and it has no generic alternative.
I have to laugh when my rellies complain about the cost of prescriptions in the UK.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig

Ask for several opinions and prices. Two of our four needed braces and the difference in the treatment options and cost was huge.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

why do you think the NHS is full of whining malingering hyperchondriacs?
Respectfully, I think this is the exact opposite of what you intended to write.

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
By the way, there is still abuse of the system in the US. People who have no deductible (or who have already reached their deductible limit for the year) can go to town on medical services at no or reduced cost.

There are 6 people in my family and our annual deductible is reached every year. So we have absolutely no incentive not to go seek medical services because we know that our deductible will be reached at some point anyway - usually before June. So we essentially have access to free medical care during the 2nd half of the year.

yeah but u still got to shell out yr co pay a co pay in england would make most NHS patients not bother going to the ED or even their own GP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.