Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A good day (just a personal update & some info)

A good day (just a personal update & some info)

Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default A good day (just a personal update & some info)

Yesterday was a good day and I want to tell you why.

Firstly our house sale is looking good. For the first time I am actually starting to believe that on the 28th of this month we will be homeless... yippeeeeeee

Secondly, we bought a car from International Autosource who have been fantastic. www.intlauto.com In the end we went for the Ford Expedition 2004 Eddie Bauer 8 seater SUV 5.4 engine with all the trimmings, all leather, dvd player blah blah. Brand new - 3 year warranty, we chose the colours (black of course ) and options and it will be delivered on July 2nd. £17,500! Hello?? Can you believe that?! They even pay $500 towards your hire car charges whilst you wait for delivery. If you buy more than one car you get an additional $600 off and get the the other car heavily discounted too. They are selling Brand New custom ordered Ford Focus's for £7,000. Sick!

My third 'happy bit of news' is about insurance. I don't have the link right now but will post it later. Anyone out there using AIG? Well if you do, you know all this already but we didn't know and wanted to share.

For a one off payment of $400 you can buy a membership from AIG that allows you to access the best insurance rates and loan interest rates - (like with intl auto's deals, this is just for ex-pats). They take your UK driving history into account and they are happy to insure you on a UK license, no problem. You don't even need a social security number. Our example is this - for the Expedition, with 16yrs UK driving history (but no insurance history as a majority of the years were in company cars), and on a UK license a 6 month policy costs $647.00. (The excess was $200.00). We're not complaining

Finally, for anyone looking to rent an apartment - we are renting a town house in a gated apartment/town house complex that we found on www.rentnet.com - they are of corporate let standards, really clean and spacious with gym, pool and sometimes even golf facilities... basically it's like living in a resort for 3,6,12+ months.
Well we spotted one that we liked the look of on the site, in the right neighbourhood etc.. and called up to get a quote and see if they took cats. For a town house, 2 garage, 2 bed, 2 bath 1,300sf $981 per month, inclusive. YU pay utilites on top but you do that anywhere you live. Now of course it depends on your budget whether this is a good deal or not BUT my point is this - it was advertised on the internet as $1,275! So it's worth calling and seeing what special offers they can extend to you.

Okay that's enough of my chirpyness for one day
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good day (just a personal update & some info)

Originally posted by whatever .... we chose the colours (black of course ) ....
Congratulations, life looks peachy, Whatever. .... I just can't believe that you are buying a black vehicle in Texas!
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
Congratulations, life looks peachy, Whatever. .... I just can't believe that you are buying a black vehicle in Texas!

I just told my ol' man what you said about the car being black and now he's showing signs of panic! I really do not think we appreciate how hot it is going to be out there!
Now he's wondering if he should have got the red...
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm. I bought a black Hyundai Santa Fe.

It'll be fine... it's not like you sit on the outside, is it?
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whatever

Finally, for anyone looking to rent an apartment - we are renting a town house in a gated apartment/town house complex that we found on www.rentnet.com - they are of corporate let standards, really clean and spacious with gym, pool and sometimes even golf facilities... basically it's like living in a resort for 3,6,12+ months.
Well we spotted one that we liked the look of on the site, in the right neighbourhood etc.. and called up to get a quote and see if they took cats. For a town house, 2 garage, 2 bed, 2 bath 1,300sf $981 per month, inclusive. YU pay utilites on top but you do that anywhere you live. Now of course it depends on your budget whether this is a good deal or not BUT my point is this - it was advertised on the internet as $1,275! So it's worth calling and seeing what special offers they can extend to you.

Okay that's enough of my chirpyness for one day

I can't believe rent is so expensive, our morgage on a huge 4 bed/3 bath house with pool is so much cheaper....... crazy isn't it!!!
Suzie
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 1:17 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski

and??? I'm sure it comes with A/C. There are plenty of black cars in Dallas, when it gets to 110, it doesn't matter if its green with pink poka dots.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:34 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm amazed you got a $200 deductible (what they call "excess" here) on that insurance rate.... normal deductibles are $500... well in TX anyway.

Congrats... sounds like good deals all around!
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suzieque
I can't believe rent is so expensive, our morgage on a huge 4 bed/3 bath house with pool is so much cheaper....... crazy isn't it!!!
Suzie
Compared to Central and South Florida, $981 rent is cheap for a townhouse. Seems to be big differences between North and South Florida.

Sounds like it's all coming together for you..whatever
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 9:07 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by whatever
Yesterday was a good day and I want to tell you why.

Secondly, we bought a car from International Autosource who have been fantastic. www.intlauto.com In the end we went for the Ford Expedition 2004 Eddie Bauer 8 seater SUV 5.4 engine with all the trimmings, all leather, dvd player blah blah. Brand new - 3 year warranty, we chose the colours (black of course ) and options and it will be delivered on July 2nd. £17,500! Hello?? Can you believe that?! They even pay $500 towards your hire car charges whilst you wait for delivery. If you buy more than one car you get an additional $600 off and get the the other car heavily discounted too. They are selling Brand New custom ordered Ford Focus's for £7,000. Sick!

My third 'happy bit of news' is about insurance. I don't have the link right now but will post it later. Anyone out there using AIG? Well if you do, you know all this already but we didn't know and wanted to share.

For a one off payment of $400 you can buy a membership from AIG that allows you to access the best insurance rates and loan interest rates - (like with intl auto's deals, this is just for ex-pats). They take your UK driving history into account and they are happy to insure you on a UK license, no problem. You don't even need a social security number. Our example is this - for the Expedition, with 16yrs UK driving history (but no insurance history as a majority of the years were in company cars), and on a UK license a 6 month policy costs $647.00. (The excess was $200.00). We're not complaining
went with int auto source too. good for credit but not if you are paying cash, as they have a limited choice of cars. cant believe they are paying you 500 bucks for car hire (must be cause you are buying 2 cars). you're lucky, coz most people i know including myself got the car after 3 weeks. you wont get it until you get a ssn and even then it takes 1 week to process the documents. ask for 5 yr warranty. also 0% finance over 5 yrs. thats what i got.

dont forget you pay taxes in addition to what the car cost.

also got car insurance with AIG. statefarm is cheaper or comparable. so if you paid 400 from your pocket there's no saving. my company paid the 400 for me. i'm with aig but i'll move to statefarm as i've got my home owners insurance through them and i get to talk to the agent in person.

With AIG i got the HSBS credit card and t-mobile contract. happy with both but i'll cancel my card after one yr. home owners insurance was higher with AIG. you can also get the option of leasing a car.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:02 pm
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Hi Whatever !
Where are you moving to in Texas? We're just outside Austin, TX, been here since Jan 1999, before that Virginia, before that, Bahrain (Middle East) before that UK (Born in London)
Personally, I would not have ordered a black car- it does make a difference - even at 110 degrees when the A/C is on, but you'll be ok. It gets extremely hot in the summer months and quite humid too, depending on where you are in Texas. Hubby has a white super crew 4 door Ford F150 pickup, and I have a light metallic coffee coloured Mustang. (doesn't show the dirt too much !!)
It's a GREAT time to purchase a house of your own as interest rates are at an all time low. You can fix the low mortgage rate for the whole term of the mortgage over here - great !!!!
Good luck with everything.
Tracy
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree on the black car. Be sure to get your windows tinted to the darkest tint possible your state allows and you'll see that can help. Good luck!