British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going through passprt control in UK - question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-through-passprt-control-uk-question-443890/)

TruBrit Apr 24th 2007 6:57 pm

Re: Going through passprt control in UK - question

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4691905)
Matt, dear, I've heard it said that Americans call queues "lines" merely because they don't know how to spell "queue".

not heard that one before.... haha my sides are aching with laughter :rofl: :rofl:

Lycanthrop Apr 24th 2007 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4691905)
Matt, dear, I've heard it said that Americans call queues "lines" merely because they don't know how to spell "queue". As someone who has been here longer than may be healthy, what are your views on this?

:rofl:

Weeeeell (steeples hands and looks almost intelligent), they paid this cowboy called Webster to bugger up the language of Poets and Playwrights.......

They seem to use a lot of our regional expressions and inflexions in some parts of the country but not in all......heard it referred to as a lift, pavement, fridge....etc. It does *ping* the memory when you hear a word not often heard and then realise its a word typical to the UK.......funny really.

They do query why we (English folk) have "shedules" but dont go to "shule" ;).......so we really are no different.......and as to why they call it Aluminum or Centrif....oogal I just don't know :confused: Acttually, until your question, I had given up wondering and now have many sleepless nights to look forward to again......:frown: :p

Btw.....I tried to hold a conversation the other day with an old friend back home without using Americanisms......failed miserably.......I am in for so much piss-taking......*groan* :rofl:

Elvira Apr 24th 2007 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 4691993)

Btw.....I tried to hold a conversation the other day with an old friend back home without using Americanisms......failed miserably.......I am in for so much piss-taking......*groan* :rofl:

I just got off the phone with a friend in London. She was telling me how lovely the weather has been these past few weeks, and how gorgeous all the. gardens look. I'm going there next week and we are planning to visit Kew Gardens and Isabella in Richmond Park.

If you'd ask me what I miss above all - apart from the ROH and my friends, obviously - it would be springtime in England.

Lycanthrop Apr 24th 2007 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4692018)
I just got off the phone with a friend in London. She was telling me how lovely the weather has been these past few weeks, and how gorgeous all the. gardens look. I'm going there next week and we are planning to visit Kew Gardens and Isabella in Richmond Park.

If you'd ask me what I miss above all - apart from the ROH and my friends, obviously - it would be springtime in England.

Next week? Great.....best wishes for a very safe trip.

It'll be terrific for sure.......dont know your part of the country but will visit London at least once or twice, the Tower, all that jazz.......otherwise its Bath, Bristol, Wells, Glastonbury and cow shit for us.......:eek:...
oh,.....Fish and Chips in Weymouth.....:thumbsup:

Its going to be rough without a/c ....... spoiled septic ;)

Elvira Apr 24th 2007 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 4692076)
Next week? Great.....best wishes for a very safe trip.

It'll be terrific for sure.......dont know your part of the country but will visit London at least once or twice, the Tower, all that jazz.......otherwise its Bath, Bristol, Wells, Glastonbury and cow shit for us.......:eek:...
oh,.....Fish and Chips in Weymouth.....:thumbsup:

Its going to be rough without a/c ....... spoiled septic ;)

Tower of London is always fun, especially with kids who are old enough to understand history but not too old to feel it's just a pile of old bricks...

This is a lovely day out in London:

- take bus to HPC and stroll through Green Park and on to Trafalgar Square.

- spend an hour or so at the National Gallery

- wander down to the Embankment and cross on the footbridge to the South Bank

- walk upstream just long enough to get a view of the Eye and the HoP

- proceed downstream past Shakespeare's Globe to the Tate Modern; take a peak inside if you feel like it, or not

- across the famously wobbly Millenium Bridge to St. Paul's; climb all the way to the top for a fabulous view of London (as good as from the Eye but no standing in line, and you get some exercise)

- take a bus down to St. Martin's Lane and go for a Chinese in Soho, or get a half-price theatre ticket from the booth in Leicester Square. Or, if you've been really clever you will have had the foresight to get a ticket for whatever's on at the ROH

:thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Apr 24th 2007 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4692175)
Tower of London is always fun, especially with kids who are old enough to understand history but not too old to feel it's just a pile of old bricks...

- take bus to HPC and stroll through Green Park and on to Trafalgar Square.

- spend an hour or so at the National Gallery

- wander down to the Embankment and cross on the footbridge to the South Bank

- walk upstream just long enough to get a view of the Eye and the HoP

- proceed downstream past Shakespeare's Globe to the Tate Modern; take a peak inside if you feel like it, or not

- across the famously wobbly Millenium Bridge to St. Paul's; climb all the way to the top for a fabulous view of London (as good as from the Eye but no standing in line, and you get some exercise)

- take a bus down to St. Martin's Lane and go for a Chinese in Soho, or get a half-price theatre ticket from the booth in Leicester Square. Or, if you've been really clever you will have had the foresight to get a ticket for whatever's on at the ROH

You forgot M & S in Marble Arch. :blink:

Elvira Apr 24th 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4692273)
You forgot M & S in Marble Arch. :blink:

:eek:

I'm more of a Peter Jones gal myself... :p

Anyway, that would take a day by itself!

Lycanthrop Apr 24th 2007 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4692175)
..........................take a bus down to St. Martin's Lane and go for a Chinese in Soho, or get a half-price theatre ticket from the booth in Leicester Square. Or, if you've been really clever you will have had the foresight to get a ticket for whatever's on at the ROH

Taverrymuch......I've jotted a couple of them down. One things for sure, it wont be McD's or KFC for lunch.......:eek: ......absolutely loathe food shopping but can't wait to get into the nearest Tesco's or M&S......*odd stares at the wierdo kissing scotch eggs and crying openly over a pound of sausages* .........Not actually planning on leaving a pub for the first 72 hrs.......

Elvira Apr 24th 2007 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 4692403)
Taverrymuch......I've jotted a couple of them down. One things for sure, it wont be McD's or KFC for lunch.......:eek: ......absolutely loathe food shopping but can't wait to get into the nearest Tesco's or M&S......*odd stares at the wierdo kissing scotch eggs and crying openly over a pound of sausages* .........Not actually planning on leaving a pub for the first 72 hrs.......

A couple of decent quick-food places along the way:

- the cafe in the crypt of St.Martin's in the Fields
- the cafe at the National Film Theatre (behind the 2nd-hand books stalls on the South Bank)
- there's a decent pub along the South Bank, just before you get to the Globe

britvic Apr 24th 2007 9:22 pm

but can't wait to get into the nearest Tesco's or M&S......*odd stares at the wierdo kissing scotch eggs and crying openly over a pound of sausages*

:lol: I can understand that.

danfan Apr 24th 2007 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cal 74 (Post 4691829)
Hi all,
It doesn't actually matter which queue (line!) you stand in. We arrived back in the UK this morning. I'm a UKC and my wife is a USC. As always we stand in the 'citizens' line for our respective countries as it's usually the shortest.
If they allow it for married couples, I'm sure it's the same for parents and children.

Thanks. I'm just going to try it. As someone said, what's the worst they can do? (and if I get deported, I know who to blame LOL)

danfan Apr 24th 2007 9:53 pm

ROFL

My first 72 hours:
- get some cadbury's chocolate
- go to the pub
- have at least 3 curries (chicken chana balti & peshawri naan *Homer drool*)
- read the Saturday Guardian
- have lots of real bacon & thick juicy sausages
- go to M&S for some decent knickers

omg, I am so spoilt for choices - what should I do first???

TruBrit Apr 24th 2007 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4692764)
ROFL

My first 72 hours:
- go to the pub

omg, I am so spoilt for choices - what should I do first????

get through passport control safely :lol:

danfan Apr 24th 2007 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4692771)
get through passport control safely :lol:

yeah that'll be a good start!

Jerseygirl Apr 24th 2007 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4692764)
ROFL

My first 72 hours:
- go to the pub

omg, I am so spoilt for choices - what should I do first???

Cadbury's, M&S, pub...in that order....you can keep the rest. ;)