British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going through passprt control in UK - question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-through-passprt-control-uk-question-443890/)

danfan Apr 21st 2007 3:07 pm

Going through passprt control in UK - question

I'm planning my first trip back since I moved here in 2003. My husband might not be able to go so I will be taking my daughter (UKC) and son (USC only).

My question is probably obvious but just in case there is an easier solution, I thought I'd ask: when we arrive & get to the short queues for UK passort control & the long queues for non-UK, do we have to take the long way for his passprt checks or will my son be allowed through the UK control with me as his guardian?

Elvira Apr 21st 2007 3:22 pm

Re: Going through passprt control in UK - question

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4677561)
I'm planning my first trip back since I moved here in 2003. My husband might not be able to go so I will be taking my daughter (UKC) and son (USC only).

My question is probably obvious but just in case there is an easier solution, I thought I'd ask: when we arrive & get to the short queues for UK passort control & the long queues for non-UK, do we have to take the long way for his passprt checks or will my son be allowed through the UK control with me as his guardian?

I'm sure you're son will be allowed through the UKC line! :)

However, why don't you get him a UK passport? I think that would be a really smart thing to do - not just that, but actually registering the birth at the UK embassy and getting him a UK-style birth certificate.

danfan Apr 21st 2007 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4677598)
I'm sure you're son will be allowed through the UKC line! :)

However, why don't you get him a UK passport? I think that would be a really smart thing to do - not just that, but actually registering the birth at the UK embassy and getting him a UK-style birth certificate.

No, sorry I didn't expain properly; he's not a UKC, he was born here & is not my birth-son. Probably stuck in the long queues, huh?

AdobePinon Apr 21st 2007 3:35 pm

Been here since 2003 and not yet learned to act like an American? :rofl: Throw off those proper, orderly British ways and head straight for the short queue! What's the worst they can do to you? :rofl:

Elvira Apr 21st 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4677607)
No, sorry I didn't expain properly; he's not a UKC, he was born here & is not my birth-son. Probably stuck in the long queues, huh?

Nah - you use the short queue!!! :)

danfan Apr 21st 2007 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 4677641)
Been here since 2003 and not yet learned to act like an American? :rofl: Throw off those proper, orderly British ways and head straight for the short queue! What's the worst they can do to you? :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

penguinsix Apr 22nd 2007 11:36 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 4677641)

The non-UK passport line is really not that long unless you deplane after a flight from Africa or Asia. I usually just sit toward the front of the plane and walk at a brisk pace. I frequently go straight through to an agent without waiting in line. I've never been held up longer than my baggage

Lycanthrop Apr 22nd 2007 11:44 am

Does the same apply if you go through as a family and everyone is a UKC except for a spouse who is a USC? If she does use the short line do you need to say anything special in order to get her in there?

Bit of a retarded question to some, but we've never done this before now. :)

Deedee13 Apr 22nd 2007 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 4680343)
Does the same apply if you go through as a family and everyone is a UKC except for a spouse who is a USC? If she does use the short line do you need to say anything special in order to get her in there?

Bit of a retarded question to some, but we've never done this before now. :)

Just asked my gf who works for immigration!! She said kids with a parent as a UK citizen even if they are step kids should go thru the queue with parent ... this case UK queue. Two adults one adult UK the other USC they have to seperate and go thru their respective queues. She said make sure u have something on you tho if ur not the birth mother that states u have guardianship so that they will know u didnt nick him (her words not mine)!!!!!

Lycanthrop Apr 22nd 2007 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4680482)
Just asked my gf who works for immigration!! She said kids with a parent as a UK citizen even if they are step kids should go thru the queue with parent ... this case UK queue. Two adults one adult UK the other USC they have to seperate and go thru their respective queues. She said make sure u have something on you tho if ur not the birth mother that states u have guardianship so that they will know u didnt nick him (her words not mine)!!!!!

Well that sucks......:frown:

I'm their natural Father and their natural Mother is the USC. The kids and I are all UKC's. Thanks for asking your GF.....:) ........So, even tho we are travelling as a family.....no step kids....no cat.......no budgie, my OH will have to go through her own line and I (along with our kids) will need a letter from her stating that I did not steal my own sons........right?

Thanks a lot BTW........

Deedee13 Apr 22nd 2007 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 4680549)

I'm their natural Father and their natural Mother is the USC. The kids and I are all UKC's. Thanks for asking your GF.....:) ........So, even tho we are travelling as a family.....no step kids....no cat.......no budgie, my OH will have to go through her own line and I (along with our kids) will need a letter from her stating that I did not steal my own sons........right?

Thanks a lot BTW........

only if ur not the "birth" parent! !!!! if ur the natural parent its not an issue!

penguinsix Apr 22nd 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 4680549)

Thanks a lot BTW........

Just curious--isn't that the same procedure you follow when coming to the US (or do you have a GCard?).

JAJ Apr 22nd 2007 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4677607)
No, sorry I didn't expain properly; he's not a UKC, he was born here & is not my birth-son.

Have you legally adopted him? If so, you might be able to apply for him to be registered as a British citizen - but the application for citizenship would need to be made before age 18.

Lycanthrop Apr 22nd 2007 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4681046)
Just curious--isn't that the same procedure you follow when coming to the US (or do you have a GCard?).

No, I'm dual (funny that way........)

Haven't been out the country since WW1 :)

Lycanthrop Apr 22nd 2007 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4680578)
only if ur not the "birth" parent! !!!! if ur the natural parent its not an issue!

What? They just ask them do they.....or is the name enough.....which doesn't necc prove birth birth Father......:confused: