Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going for my oath tomorrow

Going for my oath tomorrow

Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for my oath tomorrow

Originally Posted by julii2020

My (USC) husband and I are living in the UK now and he has just been accepted for UK citizenship. He has to go for a citizenship ceremony in a register office in Weybridge. The paperwork for the ceremony asked him to state whether he would be comfortable shaking hands when he received his certificate! Can you imagine that being a question in the US?????!!!
Thats the only ceremony I'll be going to is to watch my USC Hub's do his when we are back home, how long did Your Hub's have to wait ?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VJS
but does one have to renounce UK citizenship to become a US citizen?
no way josé
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

julii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nice

Originally Posted by britvic
Thats the only ceremony I'll be going to is to watch my USC Hub's do his when we are back home, how long did Your Hub's have to wait ?

It only took One Month (!) from his filing the paperwork to getting the acceptance letter. He used the Nationality Checking Service available from the council register office - this costs an extra £40 on top of the normal fee but ensures you get expedited service.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It only took One Month (!) from his filing the paperwork to getting the acceptance letter. He used the Nationality Checking Service available from the council register office - this costs an extra £40 on top of the normal fee but ensures you get expedited service.
Thats good, but I meant how long did he have to be in the country, I heard it was three years before applying.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

julii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nice

Sorry, yes - he did have to be in the country for 3 years. (You don't have to physically stay in the UK for the entire 3 years - you can go abroad for up to 270 days).

See the link below and click on Guide AN - naturalisation as a British citizen for all the details.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...msandguidance/
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, yes - he did have to be in the country for 3 years. (You don't have to physically stay in the UK for the entire 3 years - you can go abroad for up to 270 days).

See the link below and click on Guide AN - naturalisation as a British citizen for all the details.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...msandguidance/
Thankyou for that
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:13 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
no way josé
Well, only verbally........there's nothing in writing is there?

Hello luv.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop

Hello luv.

hello you...long time no see

you don't have to give up your uk passport, one can have dual which is the main thing eh chuck...dunno about anything verbal.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop

Hello luv.
I've been reading about this today. You just have to give up allegiance to your former country not actual citizenship.

On dual nationality:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

The Oath

Oath of Allegiance
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:11 pm
Banned

Hugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really nice

you don't have to give up your uk passport, one can have dual which is the main thing eh chuck...dunno about anything verbal.
Just like saying 'I love you', you don't look fat in that dress, of course I won't cheat on you if I go on vacation with the lads, don't worry I will tap you on the top of your head before I do.......... some times you just say stuff, right.

I am going to go to war against Britain if that ever happend, of course not, when England play the US in any sport am I going to cheer for the US, of course not. Don't worry about it mate, get your US passport if it is in your advantage to get one, if not don't bother.

You'll always be British, no matter what ****ing passport you have.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:05 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some words in the oath that some might find difficult to say, but its like anything isn't it? Depends on why you take the oath........

I was never asked to relinquish my passport and the dual status is just automatic.....

Yeah I bought a new lawnmower dear.....