British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going for my oath tomorrow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-my-oath-tomorrow-433068/)

Hugh Handbag Mar 7th 2007 10:56 pm

Going for my oath tomorrow

After 5 years of INS bullshit it all comes to an end tomorrow when I become a US Citizen.

Badge of convieinece really incase I ever have to return home for any length of time because of my ageing parents. But still nice to see the end of the road.

Wife is comming along for the day so should have some fun tomorrow after it is all over.

TruBrit Mar 7th 2007 10:59 pm

Re: Going for my oath tomorrow

enjoy tomorrow hugh and if i were you i'd leave your handbag behind :sneaky: :lol:

DollyLlama Mar 7th 2007 11:01 pm

Good luck! :)

tony126 Mar 7th 2007 11:01 pm

Yes, enjoy your day.

Jerseygirl Mar 7th 2007 11:21 pm

Congrats and good luck...we have our interview and oath ceremony in 4 weeks.

farmerwife Mar 7th 2007 11:23 pm

Yes - Enjoy your day! And double check the location address!
Hubby and I showed up at the USCIS building: couldn't find the room.... :eek: only to find out it was at the Federal Courthouse.... so we had a mad dash across town. Arrived breathless just in time.
This happened because son had been to his ceremony a few months earlier, and it WAS at the USCIS. I was caught in background check and just happened to get scheduled for the courthouse ceremony with the name change group, and hadn't realised it was a different place....but it all worked out.

bettyboop80 Mar 8th 2007 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hugh Handbag (Post 4495176)
After 5 years of INS bullshit it all comes to an end tomorrow when I become a US Citizen.

Badge of convieinece really incase I ever have to return home for any length of time because of my ageing parents. But still nice to see the end of the road.

Wife is comming along for the day so should have some fun tomorrow after it is all over.

Come back and let us know how it went! Mines on 23rd in Nashville...where is yours?

penguinsix Mar 8th 2007 4:26 pm

My wife just had her ceremony the other day. There were about 45 people in the court room (at the District Courthouse, not the INS office) and it took about 2 hours for the whole thing. They went through each person individually checking their names, spellings, etc, and then took about 20 minutes to explain what was going on, what comes next. Then the judge came out and spoke a bit, gave an oath, and shook eveyones hand.

Whole thing was about a 2 hour process for 45 people. Your time may vary.

another bloody yank Mar 8th 2007 4:38 pm

Congratulations!

:unsure:

frrussre Mar 8th 2007 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4495223)
Congrats and good luck...we have our interview and oath ceremony in 4 weeks.

Hi Jersey, hope your telling them about all those bank robberies we did.
Reg. Frank

frrussre Mar 8th 2007 5:26 pm

Congrats.
Reg. Frank R.

unicorndreams Mar 8th 2007 5:34 pm

Hi,

Congrats.
Enjoy your day.
Dont forget to get the application for a US Passport once its done.

Hugh Handbag Mar 8th 2007 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by unicorndreams (Post 4498474)
Hi,

Congrats.
Enjoy your day.
Dont forget to get the application for a US Passport once its done.

Well I am back. We got the courthouse in downtown Chicago at 8am and it took about an hour to file everyone into the room, the whole thing was over by 10am. There were 140 people there from 34 countries.

I got lucky with this whole naturalization application as the company I work for has started a scheme to encourage those who are able to apply for citizenship to do so, they will pay me application fees, all the cost to get a passport ASAP as they want me to go to Mexico ASAP to evaluate a plant down there and also a $500 gift for becoming a citizen!

Magic. Finally I can delete all by bookmarks for the INS timelines etc. Will box up the whole paperwork trail I have collected and put in the basement forever. It does feel good I must admit.

julii2020 Mar 8th 2007 7:58 pm

Congratulations on your citizenship. I had mine at Jacob Javits Centre in NYC, 1000 people, so it didn't exactly feel personal.

My (USC) husband and I are living in the UK now and he has just been accepted for UK citizenship. He has to go for a citizenship ceremony in a register office in Weybridge. The paperwork for the ceremony asked him to state whether he would be comfortable shaking hands when he received his certificate! Can you imagine that being a question in the US?????!!!

VJS Mar 8th 2007 8:42 pm

Congratulations!
I know this is probably a well worn question, but does one have to renounce UK citizenship to become a US citizen?