Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is going home a mistake?

Is going home a mistake?

Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is going home a mistake?

Originally Posted by rivit
How long does one live in a place befor they call it 'home' though, i called the US home on my first day but i agree with you.
Depends entirely on the person and their circumstances - anything from "before they even got there" to "never" ...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Once you have your green card you can stay here whether or not you're still married.
While absolutely true if you have a 10-year GC, if you only have a 2-year GC via marriage to a USC... well, then it's only partially true.

Ian
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JP24
Hey,

Would love the advice/input from anyone who has been in a similar situation. I am a PR, have been here for 6 years. I have been very happy here in the US, never suffered from homesickness or ever wanted to go home for any reason except a very brief christmas visit.
Anyway, in the last week my wife and I have separated with absolutely no chance of getting back together (big shock to me) . I have made the decision to go home to be around family and friends etc. I leave tomorrow night.
I have a great job here in the US but no real friends. I am torn with looking to stay in the UK after everything is done (paperwork). or if i try to continue my life in the US.

Any opinions or experiences are appreciated.
Same as others, I'm sorry you have ended up in this siituation and I'm sure it's hard to think clearly.

the one piece of advice I would give is that no matter what you "think you think" (e.g., in a month you may think there is no way you'd go back to the US), be very very careful before deciding to give up on your PR status/chance to get US citizenship.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:30 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Once you 'clear your head' and have a trip back home, I would at least stick it out here long enough to get US citizenship. That gives you another option to stay - or leave and come back no matter how long you're away - that you wouldn't have without the natz certificate.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:02 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
How long does one live in a place befor they call it 'home' though, i called the US home on my first day but i agree with you.
How long's a piece of string??

(4'6")
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JP24
Hey,

Would love the advice/input from anyone who has been in a similar situation. I am a PR, have been here for 6 years. I have been very happy here in the US, never suffered from homesickness or ever wanted to go home for any reason except a very brief christmas visit.
Anyway, in the last week my wife and I have separated with absolutely no chance of getting back together (big shock to me) . I have made the decision to go home to be around family and friends etc. I leave tomorrow night.
I have a great job here in the US but no real friends. I am torn with looking to stay in the UK after everything is done (paperwork). or if i try to continue my life in the US.

Any opinions or experiences are appreciated.
That happened to me in a way too! I understand how you are feeling! I went back home to Germany and got terribly homesick for the US! It is very hard to keep your greencard when living abroad. If you can get American citizenship first, then leave if you must. I didn't do that and I regret that very much now. However, i have the permanent residence for New Zealand, I will move there in a few months. Never really settled in Germany...
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

You have lots and lots of options here! Firstly, you don't have to move 'home' (from where you came from.) Yes, by all means, spend the holidays with your family and old friends.

Secondly, who says you MUST choose between US and UK? Lots of other great places to live for a new start. When one of my relationships ended, I started all over in a new place altogether. New job, new house, new everything, and made it all my own.

Lastly, you have been in USA for 6 years and have no friends? You may need a bit more than a location change to remedy that. (Meaning, you may want to look more into 'you' than the location.)

I'm sorry it ended in a way that you did not want or expect. That often means the future looks pretty bright, as you are forced to make changes that the 'dumper' does not have to. Dumpees are a stronger breed of folk - they/we MUST move on and living well is indeed the best reaction.

Don't make any impulsive or drastic decisions. Take a leave of absence from your company and go visit your family.

As with all things, strong upsets will pass, and you'll be more clearer thinking in a few months time. All things take time... you WILL be fine - in the end.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

craigob1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I normally hide and read but this post prompted me to sign up, I came here 9 years ago from Sunny Newcastle upon Tyne and settled in Philadelphia with my American wife. We split 6 months ago I wont go into details but it wasn't pretty.

I felt exactly the same emotions about going home and trying to reset, I thought long and hard about it and decided to take a 3 week vacation to see if it really what I wanted. The vacation was an eyeopener, I had a great time with friends and family for the first week then I realized that Newcastle wasn't home any more, I spent the rest of the time visiting friends, having fun and getting over the split, I even took a cheap flight Amsterdam with friends for a boys jolly weekend!!.

On reflection, I left the UK for a reason, and that reason was to start over, I did it In Philadelphia, sure things have changed but really.. go back for a vacation. I'm sure its not as "home" as you remember.

and as for being a PR.. I'm one too but will be taking the citizens test in March 2011. I have another house, a great job.. I really don't feel like the Geordie I used to do.

Good luck with what ever path you take just make sure you weigh the pros and cons

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have been here too long, it is a Holiday not a Vacation!

But you put it better than I did.

And welcome.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:17 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
.....Lastly, you have been in USA for 6 years and have no friends? You may need a bit more than a location change to remedy that. (Meaning, you may want to look more into 'you' than the location.)....
Sorry, but that just isn't necessarily true.

Wheras you can too easily project the wrong image or attitude (which will turn people off) by dwelling on whatever negatives, I can say in all honesty, it has been very, very difficult to create lasting and genuine relationships with American men. Many aquaintances and colleagues here, but sadly no "simply ordinary friendships" like I recently discovered I still have back home

Well, thats how long my own piece of string is, anyway.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Sorry, but that just isn't necessarily true.

Wheras you can too easily project the wrong image or attitude (which will turn people off) by dwelling on whatever negatives, I can say in all honesty, it has been very, very difficult to create lasting and genuine relationships with American men. Many aquaintances and colleagues here, but sadly no "simply ordinary friendships" like I recently discovered I still have back home

Well, thats how long my own piece of string is, anyway.
Have you moved back?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have been here too long, it is a Holiday not a Vacation!

But you put it better than I did.

And welcome.
Actually, these days it seems to be called "annual leave" ... bloody English language is getting infiltrated by bureaucrat-speak. :curse:
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Actually, these days it seems to be called "annual leave" ... bloody English language is getting infiltrated by bureaucrat-speak. :curse:
Hasn't it always been called annual leave?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Split up for a week & heading back to blighty right away? Seems a bit extreme. I've been here 20 years, divorced the missus almost 7 years ago, haven't been back to the UK once in all the time I've been here. Heck, I don't even like going to Santa Monica (expat LA in-joke, it's like the last outpost of The Empire down there).

I certainly wouldn't be making any decisions about where I'd live barely a week after splitting up... & given the weather back there right now will make it even more depressing.

Last edited by RickWG; Dec 4th 2010 at 12:23 am.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RickWG
Split up for a week & heading back to blighty right away? Seems a bit extreme. I've been here 20 years, divorced the missus almost 7 years ago, haven't been back to the UK once in all the time I've been here. Heck, I don't even like going to Santa Monica (expat LA in-joke, it's like the last outpost of The Empire down there).

I certainly wouldn't be making any decisions about where I'd live barely a week after splitting up... & given the weather back there right now will make it even more depressing.
Some of us on this side of the Pond have stronger ties than others to our families back in the UK. I am sure that most people on Ex Pats have gone back to the UK more than once in the last 20 years. Just because you don't feel the need to go back home, don't judge other people's different opinions and/or decisions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.