Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going for CITIZENSHIP

Going for CITIZENSHIP

Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for CITIZENSHIP

Originally Posted by Elvira
I don't think that's correct. It's just that non-citizens don't get the same inheritance tax breaks.
Thats is correct .. the allowances are a lot less for non-citizens ...
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I don't think that's correct. It's just that non-citizens don't get the same inheritance tax breaks.
I knew someone was getting shafted with no lube somewhere.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:00 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I knew someone was getting shafted with no lube somewhere.
Of course if you are like me who actually owns nothing
its not a problem ...
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course if you are like me who actually owns nothing
its not a problem ...
All that I have...I am.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKgirl
As long as you have nothing to leave in your will your ok .,..

Oh really?

I have an American husband and a child. Does that mean if I don't become a citizen my will is invalid?
Big inheritance tax bill versus someone who has nothing to pay federally up to $2M...don't know about state...you can stump up to 60 odd % depending on how much you've got.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Big inheritance tax bill versus someone who has nothing to pay federally up to $2M...don't know about state...you can stump up to 60 odd % depending on how much you've got.
Are you sure it's as much as that??? That would be obscene!!!

Does anyone actually know? I once looked at the IRS website and recoiled in horror, so if someone has actually done to homework - or knows someone who has - I'd be ever sooooooooooo grateful!

(Okay, I didn't mean THAT grateful... )
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:47 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
I would be willing to pay $595 for someone to take mine off my hands

Do you have citizenship and regret going for it then?
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it's as much as that??? That would be obscene!!!
I didn't say it was that much, just that it can be as high as 60%, it all depends on how much you have...it's one reason not to receive anything while in the US, or die, till you get citizenship
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by UKgirl
I have been here on and off for about 17 years and still have not got US citizenship. The first time I looked into it, it was about $200 and I couldn't afford it then.
There is not much I haven't been able to do without it, so I probably won't bother.
well if you found a wealthy USC hubby, the IRS would be having his bags of dosh and not you, upon aforesaid hubbie's unfortunate demise.

Altho' you could always file a QDOT....

This gets really complicated, because most of the states want a share of that estate too.

check out -

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...&siteid=google
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

UKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud of

It isn't that my hubby is wealthy, but we own our own business and I would say we are reasonably comfortable. I am definately going to look into the citizenship thing now. We are still pretty young and aren't planning on dying just yet, but you never know.
Thanks for all this info. It has certainly woken me up.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

Ok, I'm going to don my fire suit and ask the bone question.

How do I go about getting my US citizenship? What is required etc.

I've been married 10 years now and my green card is valid until 2010. I'm just really bad about putting these things off. Heck I haven't even renewed my passport in 5 years nor registered my kids (8 & 4) with the UK consulate.

Any info kindly accepted....

Cheers,

Roy
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by explorerman

I've been married 10 years now and my green card is valid until 2010. I'm just really bad about putting these things off. Heck I haven't even renewed my passport in 5 years nor registered my kids (8 & 4) with the UK consulate.

Cheers,

Roy
Go the USCIS website....click on Citizenship and go from there.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by explorerman

Cheers,

Roy
get it done quick, there looking to bump the cost in Oct to a stupid amount...it's just under $400 now as it is...

Your looking for N-400 and there's a guide to naturalisation on the uscis website
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
get it done quick, there looking to bump the cost in Oct to a stupid amount...it's just under $400 now as it is...

Your looking for N-400 and there's a guide to naturalisation on the uscis website
Cheers

Roy
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Quick question about form N-400,

I never signed up for selective service when I entered the US on my K-1 visa. I didn't get my permanent resident status until after my 26th birthday. Is this going to mess up my application?

And do driving offenses (minor speeding and moving violations) qualify for Q18?....
"Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense"

TIA
Roy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.