Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going back to UK Jan 2008

Going back to UK Jan 2008

Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:02 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to UK Jan 2008

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
Got cheesed off with the low salary in Texas, and the high cost of healthcare.

If you've not got a college degree here, you're basically stuffed.

My USA wife refuses to move, so thats it

Moving back to UK mid Jan 2008, its been a good 3 years in USA, but I feel I've missed out on a lot of things.

Anyone else felt this way?
Have you considered getting a degree in the US? You seem to have identified the cause of not being able to get a decent wage.

What do you have to return to in the UK and how do you think the move to the UK is going to affect your marriage?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:19 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So go and get a degree. You can do it and still work in the US. And there are plenty of financing options. And it don't cost much more than the UK these days but is much more flexible. And as an added advantage, will also give you a good immersion in American culture so you'll be more adaptable. And as the relationship with the wife is obviously over, it's a great way to meet more people.
I'm a time served tradesman and to be told in Texas I'm only worth $ 9 an hour is galling saying i've had a Grammar School education. The minimum wage in England is more than twice the minimum wage here. American pay stinks, and the vacation times stinks.:curse:
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dunroving
Blimey, quite a turnaround. Sorry it isn't working out, Lanky, but how come things changed so quickly?
I changed jobs in July and the blatant discrimination when people find out you're not American and a flag waving idiot is amazing.

I do symphathise with all the immigrants who arrive here, the average Texan is poorly educated, narrow-minded and insular.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:26 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I changed jobs in July and the blatant discrimination when people find out you're not American and a flag waving idiot is amazing.

I do symphathise with all the immigrants who arrive here, the average Texan is poorly educated, narrow-minded and insular.
So, what about moving to a part of the US where the people are more open-minded and the cost of living is reasonable?

Have you looked at the DOL website at industries/jobs that will be in demand in the future? That could give you some direction as to which degree you should consider studying.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:57 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your problems, but if you want to stay within the US, just move. And get a degree in the evenings. My hubby put himself through the Tooling and Manufacturing Association's Toolmaker programme and made $25 / hr doing that.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Well you do live in one of the weirdest parts of Texas (sorry!)

It is possible to earn more than $9 an hour without a degree here though...my husband is proof of that. It did take him some time and a lot of different jobs before he finally found somewhere where he could also study and gain licences and start to earn a fairly decent wage. Not all Texans are flag waving idiots you know..........most of the ones we know are good decent helpful people. It's hard work being an outsider but you can make it work if you want to. I'm sorry your marriage has to end because of this. Good luck in whatever you decide to do
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

So go and get a degree. You can do it and still work in the US.
get a degree?...He's from Manchester.....be better if we just have a whip round for his fare home.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:17 am
Account Closed

So go and get a degree. You can do it and still work in the US. And there are plenty of financing options. And it don't cost much more than the UK these days but is much more flexible. And as an added advantage, will also give you a good immersion in American culture so you'll be more adaptable. And as the relationship with the wife is obviously over, it's a great way to meet more people.
Wish I could get a degree, I'm doing 40 hours as it is. My parents are old and frail in UK, and I've decided to take care of them...Cost me my marriage, but my hearts in the right place.

Got a job as a aircraft refueller here, so that will do me good at Manchester Airport

Thank you for the kind and good advice.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jjmb
Good luck with the job search. I have had my EAD/now gc for more than 2 yrs and the only job I have had is a crap one at Sears, with the worse hours imaginable. Lasted out for 3 months before I could take it no more.

I have a degree in fine art and 2 yr post grad dip in Art therapy. Unfortunately the college where I did my post grad merged with another university in Edinburgh and lost our records. So there is no way I can get a transcript.

We currently have 3 kids in college (eldest is about graduate, !) so the money would come in handy but even Target and a call center turned me down. Apparently Call centers aren't keen on non-american voices, according to my eldest daughter. Her ex was a supervisor in one.

To the OP, sorry it didn't work out, how about moving to another state? It might easier elsewhere or is your wife just stuck on Texas?

</IMG>
Her family is based here, it would be very unfair to ask her to move, shes' been here all her life. It wasn't an easy decision. I do like the States, but I felt very unsettled after a few years.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I'm sure it is quite a pain right now, and I don't really have an answer for you. I hate to see a marriage end on something like a job or location (as I hate to hear about so many expat marriages that run into these problems) but you probably know more about your current situation than any of us. Good luck with the decisions you are about to make.

As for getting an education, I harken back to a story involving an uncle of mine. He was about 30 at the time and was always considering getting his PhD in engineering, but he was with a family and a full-time job. His wife told him to look into night school and some other types of classes, but then he discovered it would take quite some time.

"It will take 10 years to get his degree" my uncle said. "Do you realize I won't get the degree until I'm 40?"

"So what," my aunt replied. "In ten years, would you rather be a 40-year-old with a PhD or just a 40-year-old"?

Anyway, not directly on point, but thought it worth mentioning if you are looking for ways to stay here. (FWIW, my uncle got his PhD, ran a civil engineering firm for years, retired, but then got bored staying at home and took a part time job at Home Depot, which he absolutely loves as he gets to help people and HD loves because he is an engineer who can offer some pretty good advice)
My mother worked as a research scientist in the 60's on Bluestreak missiles, and when she emigrated to Australia in 1969, all she could get was a cigarette maker job.:curse:

I'm just an aircraft refueler in Texas, but when I get home, I can use my UK qualifications and become a Pharmacist
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you considered getting a degree in the US? You seem to have identified the cause of not being able to get a decent wage.

What do you have to return to in the UK and how do you think the move to the UK is going to affect your marriage?
I have a house and a unfinished degree in Pharmacy, but my parents' health is quite poor, and I'm an only child.

I hope the marriage can survive, I'm sure we can work something out.

Thank you PenguinSix
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a time served tradesman and to be told in Texas I'm only worth $ 9 an hour is galling saying i've had a Grammar School education. The minimum wage in England is more than twice the minimum wage here. American pay stinks, and the vacation times stinks.:curse:
There's little respect for tradesmen anywhere in the US -- I think there should be, but with so much work having gone overseas, and an endless flow of immigrants, this isn't surprising. Saying that, there are a lot of British tradesmen who complain about the influx from Eastern Europe and they're headed to Australia!

Taking care of your parents is admirable; to me that's a great reason to return. Do you have US citizenship in case you want to return later in life?

Were I your wife, I'd love to try living in the UK, but if she doesn't want to try, then....even if she were to only live there a year I believe she would benefit and learn from the experience.

And try and finish your degree; pharmacists are in ever-growing demand as the population ages.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:28 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
get a degree?...He's from Manchester.....be better if we just have a whip round for his fare home.
:curse:....

I managed a degree and I'm from Wigan ..Even studied for it in Manchester ...nice dig though I'll give you that one
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Cool Re: Going back to UK Jan 2008

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There's little respect for tradesmen anywhere in the US -- I think there should be, but with so much work having gone overseas, and an endless flow of immigrants, this isn't surprising. Saying that, there are a lot of British tradesmen who complain about the influx from Eastern Europe and they're headed to Australia!

Taking care of your parents is admirable; to me that's a great reason to return. Do you have US citizenship in case you want to return later in life?

Were I your wife, I'd love to try living in the UK, but if she doesn't want to try, then....even if she were to only live there a year I believe she would benefit and learn from the experience.

And try and finish your degree; pharmacists are in ever-growing demand as the population ages.
Thank You! I have arthritis, and unfortunately my mother has arthritis and osteoporosis and sadly, my marriage has to come second for a while. I have 10 Year Green Card pending, my wife is a Radiologist, no problem her getting a job in EU, but she won't leave Texas. I'm just resigned, its really out of my hands, but knowledge is never wasted. Pharmacy is one of the main growth areas all across the World.

P.S. I cannot ever envisage going back to the USA, compared to UK, its Medieval.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
:curse:....

I managed a degree and I'm from Wigan ..Even studied for it in Manchester ...nice dig though I'll give you that one
LOL I'm from Bolton, and thats scraping th' barrel

but I have 270 credits towards a 360 Degree Course at a good Uni in Manc.

Best Learning Centre in the Bloody World....MANCHESTER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.