British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going back to UK Jan 2008 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-back-uk-jan-2008-a-483858/)

lanky spoken here Sep 27th 2007 10:30 am

Going back to UK Jan 2008

Got cheesed off with the low salary in Texas, and the high cost of healthcare.

If you've not got a college degree here, you're basically stuffed.

My USA wife refuses to move, so thats it:eek:

Moving back to UK mid Jan 2008, its been a good 3 years in USA, but I feel I've missed out on a lot of things.

Anyone else felt this way?

nethead Sep 27th 2007 11:50 am

Re: Going back to UK Jan 2008

Sorry to hear about you and your wife that must have been a difficult decision. I don't feel like I've missed out on stuff no, so can't say I feel that way. But good luck back in Blighty I hope things go well for you.

I do agree with you about healthcare and I get tired and stressed having to deal with insurers and health providers wondering if we're covered for this or that, how much the copay is, if our insurer 'allows' us to use certain doctors etc etc. It's like an on going nightmare.

elfman Sep 27th 2007 11:58 am

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5359919)

Moving back to UK mid Jan 2008, its been a good 3 years in USA, but I feel I've missed out on a lot of things.

Obviuosly a lot can happen in six weeks....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474056

sorry to hear it's not worked out, hope it all goes well on your return to Britain.

lapin_windstar Sep 27th 2007 12:47 pm

Isn't it the same in the UK, unless you've got a trade? (genuine q)

jumping doris Sep 27th 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5360299)
Isn't it the same in the UK, unless you've got a trade? (genuine q)

I like it here but not as much as I liked my life in the UK.

As I have said before it is the health care that gives me sleepless nights.We have reasonable coverage and we did our research before we came but nothing prepares you for the reality of this system.
Yet again our community is trying to raise money for a young father to have some potentially life saving treatment.His insurance won't pay because the treatment will take place in a hospital that they consider to be a research facility and therefore the treatment is considered experimantal and not covered.
What a nightmare to be facing.
I know lots has been said on here about the NHS v. US care and I don't want to start that up again.
When I hear on the radio how much more the government here wants to spend on Iraq and yet so many don't have any healthcare ..it beggars belief.

I also agree that it is harder here without a college degree. I have been looking at jobs as I now have my EAD and you almost need a degree to fry chips.

Good luck back on the mothership.

fatbrit Sep 27th 2007 1:58 pm

So go and get a degree. You can do it and still work in the US. And there are plenty of financing options. And it don't cost much more than the UK these days but is much more flexible. And as an added advantage, will also give you a good immersion in American culture so you'll be more adaptable. And as the relationship with the wife is obviously over, it's a great way to meet more people.

scotch03 Sep 27th 2007 2:24 pm

I agree that there are many education options available here and they are very flexible and many are also cost effective.

With health care I suggest that if you are worried about deductibles and co-pays you get supplemental health insurance via your employer, Supplemental is inexpensive and pays cash to you and covers these out of pocket expenses and more.

dunroving Sep 27th 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5360155)
Obviuosly a lot can happen in six weeks....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474056

sorry to hear it's not worked out, hope it all goes well on your return to Britain.

Blimey, quite a turnaround. Sorry it isn't working out, Lanky, but how come things changed so quickly?

jjmb Sep 27th 2007 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5360452)
I like it here but not as much as I liked my life in the UK.

As I have said before it is the health care that gives me sleepless nights.We have reasonable coverage and we did our research before we came but nothing prepares you for the reality of this system.
Yet again our community is trying to raise money for a young father to have some potentially life saving treatment.His insurance won't pay because the treatment will take place in a hospital that they consider to be a research facility and therefore the treatment is considered experimantal and not covered.
What a nightmare to be facing.
I know lots has been said on here about the NHS v. US care and I don't want to start that up again.
When I hear on the radio how much more the government here wants to spend on Iraq and yet so many don't have any healthcare ..it beggars belief.

I also agree that it is harder here without a college degree. I have been looking at jobs as I now have my EAD and you almost need a degree to fry chips.

Good luck back on the mothership.

Good luck with the job search. I have had my EAD/now gc for more than 2 yrs and the only job I have had is a crap one at Sears, with the worse hours imaginable. Lasted out for 3 months before I could take it no more.

I have a degree in fine art and 2 yr post grad dip in Art therapy. Unfortunately the college where I did my post grad merged with another university in Edinburgh and lost our records. So there is no way I can get a transcript.

We currently have 3 kids in college (eldest is about graduate, :thumbsup:!) so the money would come in handy but even Target and a call center turned me down. Apparently Call centers aren't keen on non-american voices, according to my eldest daughter. Her ex was a supervisor in one.

To the OP, sorry it didn't work out, how about moving to another state? It might easier elsewhere or is your wife just stuck on Texas?

</IMG>

TruBrit Sep 27th 2007 3:16 pm

hiya lanky, sorry to hear your news and yes i've missed out big time during my 6yrs here however i'm headed back in the not too distant future....can't wait :thumbup:

all the best and keep us posted.

penguinsix Sep 27th 2007 3:31 pm

I'm sure it is quite a pain right now, and I don't really have an answer for you. I hate to see a marriage end on something like a job or location (as I hate to hear about so many expat marriages that run into these problems) but you probably know more about your current situation than any of us. Good luck with the decisions you are about to make.

As for getting an education, I harken back to a story involving an uncle of mine. He was about 30 at the time and was always considering getting his PhD in engineering, but he was with a family and a full-time job. His wife told him to look into night school and some other types of classes, but then he discovered it would take quite some time.

"It will take 10 years to get his degree" my uncle said. "Do you realize I won't get the degree until I'm 40?"

"So what," my aunt replied. "In ten years, would you rather be a 40-year-old with a PhD or just a 40-year-old"?

Anyway, not directly on point, but thought it worth mentioning if you are looking for ways to stay here. (FWIW, my uncle got his PhD, ran a civil engineering firm for years, retired, but then got bored staying at home and took a part time job at Home Depot, which he absolutely loves as he gets to help people and HD loves because he is an engineer who can offer some pretty good advice)

jumping doris Sep 27th 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5360883)

Anyway, not directly on point, but thought it worth mentioning if you are looking for ways to stay here. (FWIW, my uncle got his PhD, ran a civil engineering firm for years, retired, but then got bored staying at home and took a part time job at Home Depot, which he absolutely loves as he gets to help people and HD loves because he is an engineer who can offer some pretty good advice)

That could be my BIL. :D
He worked for a big computer company and was quite important. Took early retirement because he could afford to, and then decided he was bored. He went to work in Tesco, stacking shelves and loves it. Tesco keep trying to send him off on management courses and he won't go. He just loves his shelves!

veryfunny Sep 27th 2007 6:22 pm

I really sorry to read about your situation. I think three years is to soon to throw in the towel, keep trying I think it will get better, plus what types of work are you looking for?

Giantaxe Sep 27th 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5360568)
So go and get a degree. You can do it and still work in the US. And there are plenty of financing options. And it don't cost much more than the UK these days but is much more flexible. And as an added advantage, will also give you a good immersion in American culture so you'll be more adaptable. And as the relationship with the wife is obviously over, it's a great way to meet more people.

Very good advice, imo. Start part-time at community college. Don't know about TX, but in CA it's remarkably cheap. Plus you can do some kind of work in parallel, and you typically can transfer to a four year college if your grades are good enough and that is your desire.

I'm also going to comment on the "missed out on a lot of things" comment by the OP. Of course you miss out on things happening in the UK, which can be especially difficult if they are family-related. But to make living in a "new" country a success, you need to build new relationships/friendships/interests that replace those you had in the country you came from. It takes work - and US society tends to throw up a lot of obstacles in this regard imo - but without this you really can't make a go of it.

Circus-of-Power Sep 27th 2007 7:56 pm

How about relocating within the USA? A different state can be like a whole new country ... I bet Illinois is nothing like Texas ...Its cheap here btw!!!

Sorry to hear about the marriage though ....good luck with whatever you decide ...and if you go back to the UK ..drink a pint of Holts for me