Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Subsequently changing your mind is different than having preconceived intent. It's the same for VWP entries. If you decide to get married and adjust in country your fine, but if you enter with the intent to adjust it isn't.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Subsequently changing your mind is different than having preconceived intent. It's the same for VWP entries. If you decide to get married and adjust in country your fine, but if you enter with the intent to adjust it isn't.
No, that analogy doesn't fit the case. The two people, OP and wife, are British so they don't have to tell anyone what their reason for travelling to the UK is. Their earlier intent is their private business, they can change their minds and settle in the UK at any time.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234

No, that analogy doesn't fit the case. The two people, OP and wife, are British so they don't have to tell anyone what their reason for travelling to the UK is. Their earlier intent is their private business, they can change their minds and settle in the UK at any time.
Well both require mind reading to know what the intent was.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 12:10 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

But that is the actual definition of Ordinarily Resident. I cut and pasted it from an NHS page, but the same sentence is used in numerous places. Obviously, the thing about a persons decision on getting off the plane is my gloss on it, but there's no getting away from it - that is the essence of Ordinarily Resident. I'm not quite sure why this is controversial? Surely people settle in the UK all the time, and a proportion of them subsequently change their minds?

I believe there is a provision for NHS services if you plan to make the UK your permanent home and give up your residence abroad, and presumably people are asked for some sort of demonstration of that intent when looking for NHS services (NOT when entering the country). It did not appear that this was the intent of the OP and spouse. Of course they are entitled to change their minds, as is anyone, but that is different from pretending to be ordinarily resident when you are not. Deception is different form changing your mind. I would like to be ordinarliy resident in the UK more than anything, but am not yet in a position to do that. I'm not comfortable faking it to get services towards which I have contributed little to nothing. I know of people who have used relatives' addresses etc to fake UK residence to get their students the home fees rate at uni, too. Not comfortable doing that either, and I view it as much the same thing.Having said that, if you speak English with any of the British accents as opposed to any other and you have a UK address and are it may well be that nobody ever asks.

These are the types of proof of being ordinarily resident that apparently you might be asked for.

https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs....i-am-entitled/

And here is more useful language from elsewhere on that site:

"NHS hospital treatment is not free for everyone. If you are visiting the United Kingdom (UK) and require treatment in our hospitals, you may have to pay for your treatment.

Anyone of any nationality who is not ordinarily resident in the UK at the time of treatment is regarded as an ‘Overseas Visitor’. This means that they may be charged for the treatment they receive at any of our hospitals.

In order to ascertain a person's eligibility, we apply baseline questions to all patients. These include, but are not exclusive to,
  • "Where have you lived in the last 12 months?"
  • "Can you provide evidence to show where you live?"
Anybody who can demonstrate that they lawfully reside in the UK is unlikely to incur treatment charges."

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 12th 2019 at 12:32 am.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 12:56 am
Account Closed

I do not know anybody who has done this, I have read various stories, very occasionally you come across somebody who was refused, seems that they were the ones who were not deceptive. Normally it seems nothing is asked.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 1:00 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do not know anybody who has done this, I have read various stories, very occasionally you come across somebody who was refused, seems that they were the ones who were not deceptive. Normally it seems nothing is asked.
I wouldn't be surprised, especially if your English sounds like someone born in the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I wouldn't be surprised, especially if your English sounds like someone born in the UK.
From what I can gather if your register at your local Surgery they want to see whatever to go through the process, Hospital seems to be different, might ask questions if you arrive by Ambulance form Heathrow.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I am still more concerned about the lack of consideration for the risks to the OP's wife and new born by traveling. Flying at 7 months on a long haul trip is seriously wrong, and could end up hugely expensive. Then after the birth both mother and baby need more than a month to return in my opinion. So many exposures to germs and sickness on a flight. I just think the risks outweigh letting the family be with the newborn.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 2:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If that’s what happened then no problem. However they are clearly stating their preconceived intent to visit the UK in order to give birth on the cheap and then return home to the US as soon as possible. They are a textbook example of healthcare tourism.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 4:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I am still more concerned about the lack of consideration for the risks to the OP's wife and new born by traveling. Flying at 7 months on a long haul trip is seriously wrong, and could end up hugely expensive. Then after the birth both mother and baby need more than a month to return in my opinion. So many exposures to germs and sickness on a flight. I just think the risks outweigh letting the family be with the newborn.
Have to agree, its not just the flight risk, its the issues that can arise following the birth. Most if the babies who end up in NICU or Special Care for weeks or months have gone through an uneventful pregnency. Yet some of the conditions that cannot be diagnosed until after birth require months of intensive care and the child might not be accepted on a commercial flight for months, worst case scenario the baby may never be well enough to fly.

if the family intend to live in the US then flying to the Uk just for the birth seems madness.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 4:31 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If that’s what happened then no problem. However they are clearly stating their preconceived intent to visit the UK in order to give birth on the cheap and then return home to the US as soon as possible. They are a textbook example of healthcare tourism.
And I think the OP took exception to being told this was inadvisable.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
if the family intend to live in the US then flying to the Uk just for the birth seems madness.
The general thought was that the OP and family are under-insured in the US. Though as the OP hasn't posted anywhere in the last few days, I suspect they've gone elsewhere to try and get the answer they want to hear.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 5:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
And I think the OP took exception to being told this was inadvisable.

The general thought was that the OP and family are under-insured in the US. Though as the OP hasn't posted anywhere in the last few days, I suspect they've gone elsewhere to try and get the answer they want to hear.
And I think you are probably right. Amazing the number of people that believe the will get a different answer somewhere else, what what they need to realise is whatever the answer on a public forum, rules are rules.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can gather if your register at your local Surgery they want to see whatever to go through the process, Hospital seems to be different, might ask questions if you arrive by Ambulance form Heathrow.

These days hospitals are no different, at least in our Trust in NE England. When I first went to the hospital here, a year or so after registering at the GP office and getting my new NHS number I was specifically asked if I had been resident in the UK for at least 6 months. A year later when I went in for day surgery on my heart I was instructed to bring proof that I was eligible to live in the country and proof that I was actually resident here. In my case I took along my British passport and a utility bill. I do have a strong NE accent so that was not a qualifying criteria
Old Jan 12th 2019, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by durham_lad
These days hospitals are no different, at least in our Trust in NE England. When I first went to the hospital here, a year or so after registering at the GP office and getting my new NHS number I was specifically asked if I had been resident in the UK for at least 6 months. A year later when I went in for day surgery on my heart I was instructed to bring proof that I was eligible to live in the country and proof that I was actually resident here. In my case I took along my British passport and a utility bill. I do have a strong NE accent so that was not a qualifying criteria
If we take the Passport as a given that leaves a utility bill and they said they had property in the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 6:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If we take the Passport as a given that leaves a utility bill and they said they had property in the UK.
They “had residence” in the UK. Not necessarily the same thing. Even if they did then the whole thing falls apart as soon as they are asked for their medical records.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.