British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Go Hillary!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/go-hillary-406735/)

Leslie Nov 8th 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Go Hillary!!!!

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Having a woman or a man as a President is not really what counts. Its having the right person for the job that is important. The problem is people will vote for a woman just for that reason only or not vote for her for the same reason.

I remember when Margaret Thatcher first came onto the political scene in the UK. Having a woman as a Prime Minister was a novelty......there were soon a lot of voters regretting this decision, will that be the case here as well?

Perhaps.... But there are a lot of women I wouldn't/don't support politically.

It isn't just her sex - she's really quite good.

BTW The novelty of having an unqualified idiot as president is certainly wearing thin. :eek:

Hayley Nov 8th 2006 6:00 pm

I have to say I'm with Obama, I can see Hilary causing the cons. to hate the liberals all the more- just as they are hated more because of bush.

while we are being controversial, my prob. with Hilary is that she was sappy enough to take Bill back after the scandal- also makes me wonder if she's not a bit of a cold fish for not keeping her man happy :scared:

Leslie Nov 8th 2006 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hayley
I have to say I'm with Obama, I can see Hilary causing the cons. to hate the liberals all the more- just as they are hated more because of bush.

while we are being controversial, my prob. with Hilary is that she was sappy enough to take Bill back after the scandal- also makes me wonder if she's not a bit of a cold fish for not keeping her man happy :scared:

Not keeping her man happy?!?!? Is this a Tammy Wynette song?

Hayley Nov 8th 2006 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Not keeping her man happy?!?!? Is this a Tammy Wynette song?

stand by your man was that one- I say leave the bugger!!

Elvira Nov 8th 2006 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hayley
..............makes me wonder if she's not a bit of a cold fish for not keeping her man happy :scared:

Crucify her I say - how can she have the audacity to aim to become President if she refuses to give BJs to her man!!! :rolleyes:

Hayley Nov 8th 2006 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Crucify her I say - how can she have the audacity to aim to become President if she refuses to give BJs to her man!!! :rolleyes:

Yes. exactly. :D

dan_alford Nov 8th 2006 7:09 pm

She has to be carefull, seeing as oral sex is still illegal in some states.

Elvira Nov 8th 2006 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford
She has to be carefull, seeing as oral sex is still illegal in some states.

I hear that in some states they still confuse it with ....... alternative-entry relations :D

dan_alford Nov 8th 2006 7:14 pm

I hear that in some states they still confuse it with ....... alternative-entry relations :D

Well thats easy to understand when a lot of the local's speak out of their (_(_)

ironporer Nov 8th 2006 8:17 pm

Perhaps.... But there are a lot of women I wouldn't/don't support politically.

It isn't just her sex - she's really quite good.

BTW The novelty of having an unqualified idiot as president is certainly wearing thin. :eek:

As a right winger, I can only pray that she is the 208 Presidential candidate. Another extreme liberal senator from the North east ...I can't wait...hell, even Jeb might win against her! :eek:

Lord Lionheart Nov 8th 2006 11:15 pm

Tom:

Reduced healthcare costs

- Really? How would she do that, while keeping the drug companies, HMO's, doctors, and associated lobbyists happy, apart from raising taxes??

Pro-choice

- Even Bush hasn't managed to change that

Pro-gay marriage

- Not a plus in my book

Anti-war

- Nonsense, an anti-war American president?? Less miltaristic than Bush perhaps but not anti war

IMO her presidency will be more geared toward the citizens/family needs and less of the power politics that we've seen for the past 6 years.

Nice idealistic thought however corporations, lawyers and lobbyists run the world with politicians/lawyers sucking at their tits

We can look forward to some attention and funding being paid toward schooling, job corps, daycare, healthcare, family leave, head start etc. Things that effect all of us.

= more taxes to pay for it

If you want to know what she stands for - Read her books or her many published legal papers. I've been following her career since before Bill was elected president. She's is a highly respected legal mind in the south - even right wingers will tell you she knows her stuff - even if they hate her.

I'm proud of her as a woman.......

I think that's the real reason and so many people followed you, interesting you are the only one to provide reasons why you would vote for her

anotherlimey Nov 8th 2006 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart

Nice idealistic thought however corporations, lawyers and lobbyists run the world with politicians/lawyers sucking at their tits

That's not a mental image I enjoy when it involves Hilary Clinton.. :eek:

BigDavyG Nov 8th 2006 11:21 pm

I think that's the real reason and so many people followed you, interesting you are the only one to provide reasons why you would vote for her

But, but.....she's a woman

TRPardoe Nov 8th 2006 11:46 pm

If she asked me politely I would do it.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's not a mental image I enjoy when it involves Hilary Clinton.. :eek:

Leslie Nov 8th 2006 11:50 pm

If you guys were actually interested in the Senator's stand on issues - you wouldn't be arguing with me. What you would be doing is checking her record and challenging anything that looks askew to you.

This is as good a place to start as any:

http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_cat...an_id=WNY99268

Irn-bru Nov 8th 2006 11:54 pm

If you guys were actually interested in the Senator's stand on issues - you wouldn't be arguing with me. What you would be doing is checking her record and challenging anything that looks askew to you.

that's good to know as all I'd like is to know who voted what. so thanks for that.

Lord Lionheart Nov 9th 2006 12:07 am

I'm not disagreeing or saying I would not vote for her, I'm asking why she is so wonderful?

She voted Yes on the Patriot Act
No on increasing the min wage
Yes on the 700 mile fence between Mexico
Yes on declaring English as US's official language
Yes on $500 Billion 2007 Defense budget
Abstained on bankruptcy reform bill

Irn-bru Nov 9th 2006 12:09 am

I'm not disagreeing or saying I would not vote for her, I'm asking why she is so wonderful?

gosh she sounds like a bush supporter :D

anotherlimey Nov 9th 2006 12:11 am

That's a bit deceptive unless you read the text of the bills; it seems lawmakers are always tagging things onto the end of "must pass" bills which may be objectional to other lawmakers who would then vote no.

BigDavyG Nov 9th 2006 12:13 am

That's a bit deceptive unless you read the text of the bills; it seems lawmakers are always tagging things onto the end of "must pass" bills which may be objectional to other lawmakers who would then vote no.

What, you mean like banning internet gambling, abolishing the Iraq Audit Board and making El Presidente immune from prosecution under the Geneva convention - what kind of dastardly fiends would stoop so low ??

anotherlimey Nov 9th 2006 12:16 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What, you mean like banning internet gambling, abolishing the Iraq Audit Board and making El Presidente immune from prosecution under the Geneva convention - what kind of dastardly fiends would stoop so low ??

Absolutely... here's Hilary's take on the minumum wage bill she voted against: http://www.vote-smart.org/speech_det...rase=&contain=

Jerseygirl Nov 9th 2006 12:16 am

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
gosh she sounds like a bush supporter :D

As with most politicians she'll vote for whatever she thinks will get her elected.

Irn-bru Nov 9th 2006 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As with most politicians she'll vote for whatever she thinks will get her elected.

Reading the above posts re that site it seems more complicated - just when I thought I had my head around it :o :confused:

Leslie Nov 9th 2006 12:22 am

- Really? How would she do that, while keeping the drug companies, HMO's, doctors, and associated lobbyists happy, apart from raising taxes??

- Even Bush hasn't managed to change that
- Not a plus in my book
- Nonsense, an anti-war American president?? Less miltaristic than Bush perhaps but not anti war

= more taxes to pay for it

If you want to know what she stands for - Read her books or her many published legal papers. I've been following her career since before Bill was elected president. She's is a highly respected legal mind in the south - even right wingers will tell you she knows her stuff - even if they hate her.

At this point, what we are really voting for and about is ideology. If we scrutinize each and every record of each candidate we can come to a conclusion about their tendencies and vote accordingly. I'm not campaigning for her (yet) on BE. :D

For those of us from the Bill Clinton camp ..... old loyalties die hard. I believe it would be fair to bring out the statistics and record of Bill Clinton. From his own mouth - Hillary is and always has been his most trusted political ally. Clinton did not hold back with expressing his open trust and support of his wife. Upon being elected, he appointed her head of the newly formed Task Force on National Health Care Reform. What started as a hopeful time in health care ultimately failed. There are still some residuary regulations implemented during the Clinton administration that made Medicare a much more useful tool for the elderly. Really, the only thing we were left with was the impression of some very powerful people putting their necks out there for something that effects each and every one of us .... and in the US health care is in a complete shambles.

BigDavyG Nov 9th 2006 12:24 am

Absolutely... here's Hilary's take on the minumum wage bill she voted against: http://www.vote-smart.org/speech_det...rase=&contain=

If politicos really want to prove that they are public servants this kind of awmaking through the backdoor needs to be outlawed whether it be explicitly or by some form of 'gentleman/woman's agreement'.
Failing that maybe they could tack it onto the end of the next bill they use to vote themselves a pay rise.

Sally Nov 9th 2006 12:24 am

Yeah but do they provide that in board-book format?

Leslie Nov 9th 2006 12:27 am

She may not be "wonderful" for you, Tom. It depends on what you care the most about and what moves you to choose a candidate. I've outlined some of the reasons that I would vote for her .... and I'm satisfied with that.

She is a viable presidential candidate - and she's not the only Democrat that is. I'm ready to get people talking about who might run in 2008. :cool:

jen_andreson Nov 9th 2006 12:30 am

She may not be "wonderful" for you, Tom. It depends on what you care the most about and what moves you to choose a candidate. I've outlines some of the reasons that I would vote for her .... and I'm satisfied with that.

She is a viable presidential candidate - and she's not the only Democrat that is. I'm ready to get people talking about who might run in 2008. :cool:

Now that you mention it...do you think Obama will run, and if so do you think he'd run against Hilary in a primary, or do you think they'll work together (he as VP)? Any other Dems who might run?

Just curious, as I don't know much about Obama, other than he is the new 'it' guy.

Leslie Nov 9th 2006 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Now that you mention it...do you think Obama will run, and if so do you think he'd run against Hilary in a primary, or do you think they'll work together (he as VP)? Any other Dems who might run?

Just curious, as I don't know much about Obama, other than he is the new 'it' guy.

That's the million dollar question, my dear. IMO he'd be best to wait and establish himself. He is relatively new on the scene and he is (at the present) overwhelmingly respected. If he will build on that he'd be in a perfect position to run in 2012. He's on the fast track either way. :cool:

Lord Lionheart Nov 9th 2006 12:42 am

She may not be "wonderful" for you, Tom. It depends on what you care the most about and what moves you to choose a candidate. I've outlined some of the reasons that I would vote for her .... and I'm satisfied with that.

I guess I'll tell you in 2 years when we see who is running, it was you that started the 'Go Hillary!!!!' thread before we even know who the candidates are :confused:

jen_andreson Nov 9th 2006 12:51 am

That's the million dollar question, my dear. IMO he'd be best to wait and establish himself. He is relatively new on the scene and he is (at the present) overwhelmingly respected. If he will build on that he'd be in a perfect position to run in 2012. He's on the fast track either way. :cool:

I agree. I get the impression that he will be put under pressure to make a run, and I wonder if he'd be willing to run as a VP. I've not listened to him speak enough about the future to know if he's mentioned that or not.

I'm a bit to the right of his views (and most of Hillary's) but he caught my eye on a Meet the Press interview recently. Incredibly well-spoken, and definitely has a clear idea of his opinions on various matters. And, he's got a very interesting background.

My hope is that we have a variety of strong candidates, and an interesting race--looks like we're guaranteed at least that!

BigDavyG Nov 9th 2006 12:58 am

Trying to push either a woman or a minority for Pres in this country just ain't going to work - trying to push the pair as Pres and VP is just a fantasy - that is the reality of the situation regardless of anyone's personal views and opinions.

Leslie Nov 9th 2006 1:00 am

I guess I'll tell you in 2 years when we see who is running, it was you that started the 'Go Hillary!!!!' thread before we even know who the candidates are :confused:

I was swept up in the joy of last nights election returns. :D Thankfully, this mid-term election has invigorated the Dems of which I am one.

Leslie Nov 9th 2006 1:12 am

I agree. I get the impression that he will be put under pressure to make a run, and I wonder if he'd be willing to run as a VP. I've not listened to him speak enough about the future to know if he's mentioned that or not.

I'm a bit to the right of his views (and most of Hillary's) but he caught my eye on a Meet the Press interview recently. Incredibly well-spoken, and definitely has a clear idea of his opinions on various matters. And, he's got a very interesting background.

My hope is that we have a variety of strong candidates, and an interesting race--looks like we're guaranteed at least that!

There are going to be more and more interesting Democratic players emerge on the scene. With the overwhelming victory that we've enjoyed over the last 24 hours ..... I'd be willing to bet that it's going to get very interesting very soon.

As per usual with American voting trends there is an ebb and flow to things. Finally, the Republican party has (again) shown itself as the party of the "aged and decrepit". (terribly sorry to all of the many Republicans that I adore :D ) ..........

They'd better pull something better than Jeb Bush out of their ass. :D

Lord Lionheart Nov 9th 2006 1:15 am

I was swept up in the joy of last nights election returns. :D Thankfully, this mid-term election has invigorated the Dems of which I am one.

I'm definitely more of a Dem fan than Republican.
Unfortunately, I can't help but think they're pretty much all greedy, lawyers who would rapidly vacate all political positions, were it not for the money, lobbyist contributions,career advancement, book writing deals, positions on company boardrooms and lucrative after dinner speaking/lecture circuits these positions of power afford them, all in the name of 'democracy and the American people'.

TRPardoe Nov 9th 2006 1:27 am

There are going to be more and more interesting Democratic players emerge on the scene. With the overwhelming victory that we've enjoyed over the last 24 hours ..... I'd be willing to bet that it's going to get very interesting very soon.

As per usual with American voting trends there is an ebb and flow to things. Finally, the Republican party has (again) shown itself as the party of the "aged and decrepit". (terribly sorry to all of the many Republicans that I adore :D ) ..........

They'd better pull something better than Jeb Bush out of their ass. :D

I think you are right - things are going to get interesting, even after Rumsfeld has gone. Is Rove far behind ?

I feel sorry for Jeb. He is the only good Bush.

Leslie Nov 9th 2006 1:38 am

I'm definitely more of a Dem fan than Republican.
Unfortunately, I can't help but think they're pretty much all greedy, lawyers who would rapidly vacate all political positions, were it not for the money, lobbyist contributions,career advancement, book writing deals, positions on company boardrooms and lucrative after dinner speaking/lecture circuits these positions of power affords them, in the name of 'democracy and the American people.

I know this all to be true. :D

However, you can actually have a leader that is something other than a fear-mongering war-hawk... as Bush has proved himself to be - it's not too much to ask. I'm actually getting excited to see what the upcoming election has to bring. :o

The worst truth of this whole mess is that the POTUS has relatively little power. However, it is of the most ultimate importance to have a reasonable and thoughtful President. The Bush presidency should ultimately be a reminder to us all .......... DO NOT ELECT ANY MORE STUPID PRESIDENTS ...

Think we've got it yet? :confused: :D

Leslie Nov 9th 2006 1:40 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I think you are right - things are going to get interesting, even after Rumsfeld has gone. Is Rove far behind ?

I feel sorry for Jeb. He is the only good Bush.

That's an interesting comment. I've always believed that Jeb was intelligent... which could be a problem when dealing with his own family. :eek: :D

Sally Nov 9th 2006 1:45 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Trying to push either a woman or a minority for Pres in this country just ain't going to work - trying to push the pair as Pres and VP is just a fantasy - that is the reality of the situation regardless of anyone's personal views and opinions.

But what about the American Dream that anyone can be President?

Lord Lionheart Nov 9th 2006 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Sally
But what about the American Dream that anyone can be President?

I think you've answered your own question