Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GMAT- Experience of Taking This?

GMAT- Experience of Taking This?

Old Mar 7th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GMAT- Experience of Taking This?

Originally Posted by mediaguru
I took the GMAT in 2000 before applying to some business schools. I strongly recommend getting the books and computer software at least. You have to practise a lot. The scoring system places an awefully high value on how you answer the first few questions, so getting those right is essential.

Watch out for the essay questions - you have to write two. They're marked by computer and if you take the exam in the US and use UK spelling, it'll count against you!

The GMAT is actually not too difficult if you've already got an A-level + degree education in my opinion. Where your friend may find problems is with the B-School applications themselves. They took me AGES to complete. I needed to check them with many different people to make sure essays were good and that I hadn't missed anything. In retrospect, if you're considering any school in the top 10, you might want to pay someone with experience to help you.

I actually did really well in my GMAT and got a lot of "free offers" from schools wanting me to go there. But as it turned out, when the bubble popped I decided to skip B-school and stick with my job. Dropping a ton of money on an MBA and being a student with a family for 2-years just didn't give the right ROI, and that's the whole point.

Good luck!
Thanks for your comments. There had to be someone out there who'd taken the GMAT.

I'm going to email this thread to my friend.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:30 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm going to be doing a GRE later on this year. My one worry is it will be full of maths questions I haven't thought about since high school. Like measuring the angles of a triangle, triganometry and all that bollocks.
Does it have a lot of maths?
Sarah, it is done in three separate sections - essays, quantitative and verbal. Depending on the test centre depends on what order you get these. Both my essays and math were before my verbal, so by the time I got to the verbal I was tired. You can't take food or drink in to the room with you and I made the mistake of keeping going and not taking the 10 minutes break after the essays. The math is 45 minutes long and does include basic arithmatic, algebra, trig and stats. You can't use a calculator but you are given paper. Because students today aren't very good with quick numeracy as you can imagine the actual problems weren't that hard to do. It was more a case of remembering how to do stuff. I got the Baron's GRE book and was recommended it by a friend. Apparently it is the best one out there. I actually didn't use it for the math because my math score wasn't important (doing English at graduate school). I found that as long as I could do my kids math (eldest is in 9th grade), in other words high school math, I was fine and did really well on the math section.

to be honest I found the hardest bit was the verbal. You get 30 minutes to answer 30 questions, some of which are part of reading 3 separate passages. I started to panic by the end of that section and lost points because I had to rush. You just get no time to think at all. Whereas on both the math and the essays I had time to spare, and did very well on the essays.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:39 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

My driving theory test, written in American English, multiple choice, how was I to know you're meant to click 'all the above" if it appears
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with the suggestions to practice. Get the software, not the books. The software allows you to take practice tests and gives you feedback on what parts you need to work on. I have tutored people in the GRE in the past and it can make a big difference to your score. Like many tests, practice helps you feel more relaxed and not panic (so much).

I took the GRE in a sweaty, non-air-conditioned elementary school in the summer of 1990, had never taken a multiple choice exam in my life, and had no idea what to expect. I scored above the 90th percentile on all 3 sections and thought that compared to all the essay and open ended questions on UK exams I'd taken as an undergraduate student, the GRE was cake.

Fortunately, these days if you do poorly, you don't have to wait months to re-take it. Where I took it, for example, it was offered only twice a year.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Fortunately, these days if you do poorly, you don't have to wait months to re-take it. Where I took it, for example, it was offered only twice a year.
That's true, its' usually offered every couple months...and as for not bothering with the books, well the books usually come with practice test software, well the kaplan one does.