Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GMAT- Experience of Taking This?

GMAT- Experience of Taking This?

Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Question GMAT- Experience of Taking This?

I have a British friend who’s thinking of taking the GMAT exam. It seems these kind of exam are quite far removed from British style tests in that the GMAT is mostly multiple choice and is taken on a computer.

Have you (Brits only) taken it or something similar? Have you found that as a British English speaker, you’ve had to think carefully about how you answer questions because they’re written in American English?

What about the format itself? How did you prepare for such a huge number of multiple choice questions.

Any comments from Brits who’ve taken the GMAT or similar US graduate school entry exam would be welcome.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:56 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GMAT- Experience of Taking This?

Originally Posted by Celsius
... Any comments from Brits who’ve taken the GMAT or similar US graduate school entry exam would be welcome.
I've sent you a PM.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:00 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I did the GRE a long time ago. Pretty much did it cold and did OK. In retrospect, the best thing would have been to do a bunch of practice tests. You can get those for GMAT too. These tests tend to be unimaginative - so practice lots and all will be good.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:31 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I did the GRE a long time ago. Pretty much did it cold and did OK. In retrospect, the best thing would have been to do a bunch of practice tests. You can get those for GMAT too. These tests tend to be unimaginative - so practice lots and all will be good.
yeah, I've just taken the GRE and would agree with you that the practice tests are a good idea.

The only thing I would say is if a Brit takes one of these tests and knows hardly anything about American culture and American society, that is hasn't lived here, doing the practice tests is a must. Sometimes presumptions are made about things that are specific to American culture.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
yeah, I've just taken the GRE and would agree with you that the practice tests are a good idea.

The only thing I would say is if a Brit takes one of these tests and knows hardly anything about American culture and American society, that is hasn't lived here, doing the practice tests is a must. Sometimes presumptions are made about things that are specific to American culture.
Like what? Politics? Sport? TV?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 3:08 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Like what? Politics? Sport? TV?
Your local Borders or equivalent book shop will probably have half a shelf of books on doing the GMAT ... also, Kaplan probably run courses on sitting the GMAT ... look up GMAT on google and see what's on offer.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:13 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben

I'm going to be doing a GRE later on this year. My one worry is it will be full of maths questions I haven't thought about since high school. Like measuring the angles of a triangle, triganometry and all that bollocks.
Does it have a lot of maths?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:55 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm going to be doing a GRE later on this year. My one worry is it will be full of maths questions I haven't thought about since high school. Like measuring the angles of a triangle, triganometry and all that bollocks.
Does it have a lot of maths?
Shirley ... Anyway, maths (or math in the USA) is fun and dead easy ... I really wish the admissions test (LSAT) was 100% math! :scared:
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:01 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
Shirley ... Anyway, maths (or math in the USA) is fun and dead easy ... I really wish the admissions test (LSAT) was 100% math!
Weirdo!
I wish it was 100% on the use of imagery in Shakespeare!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:55 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

I know math and the hard sciences are not too popular over here (same in the UK) and are often denigrated. But I do feel very strongly that math, the hard sciences and the engineering disciplines are very important and so math should be heavily tested on the graduate school admissions tests.

As an aside, India is producing at least four times as many PhDs in the hard sciences and engineering as the USA. It is no wonder that a lot of the knowledge based outsourcing is going to India. Lots of hi-tech is moving there, not necessarily to save money, but to tap into the PhDs and associated hard science/engineering talent found out there. My firm is seriously thinking of opening shop over there, again not to tap into a cheap labor market (which anyway is getting more expensive), but because the "action" is over there and less so over here.

Last edited by User Name; Mar 7th 2006 at 10:01 pm. Reason: changed "serious" to "seriously" ...
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:04 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Sarah
Weirdo!
I wish it was 100% on the use of imagery in Shakespeare!
I know math is a blow-out for many ... but can the USA export imagery in Shakespeare? Wasn't that dude English?

Actually, I love a bit of Shakespeare ... still can't get over the imagery in Hamlet ... so much tragedy with a wee bit of comedy, "blah blah blahs, I will be brief ..."
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Your local Borders or equivalent book shop will probably have half a shelf of books on doing the GMAT ... also, Kaplan probably run courses on sitting the GMAT ... look up GMAT on google and see what's on offer.
Your local library will have practice stuff for it too. Or google and you shall find, I'm sure.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

mediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant future

I have a British friend who’s thinking of taking the GMAT exam. It seems these kind of exam are quite far removed from British style tests in that the GMAT is mostly multiple choice and is taken on a computer.

Have you (Brits only) taken it or something similar? Have you found that as a British English speaker, you’ve had to think carefully about how you answer questions because they’re written in American English?

What about the format itself? How did you prepare for such a huge number of multiple choice questions.

Any comments from Brits who’ve taken the GMAT or similar US graduate school entry exam would be welcome.
I took the GMAT in 2000 before applying to some business schools. I strongly recommend getting the books and computer software at least. You have to practise a lot. The scoring system places an awefully high value on how you answer the first few questions, so getting those right is essential.

Watch out for the essay questions - you have to write two. They're marked by computer and if you take the exam in the US and use UK spelling, it'll count against you!

The GMAT is actually not too difficult if you've already got an A-level + degree education in my opinion. Where your friend may find problems is with the B-School applications themselves. They took me AGES to complete. I needed to check them with many different people to make sure essays were good and that I hadn't missed anything. In retrospect, if you're considering any school in the top 10, you might want to pay someone with experience to help you.

I actually did really well in my GMAT and got a lot of "free offers" from schools wanting me to go there. But as it turned out, when the bubble popped I decided to skip B-school and stick with my job. Dropping a ton of money on an MBA and being a student with a family for 2-years just didn't give the right ROI, and that's the whole point.

Good luck!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Kaplan, probably best way to go, but have to make sure you get an up to date copy, and the practice tests weren't that great, well on the GRE's at least.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:56 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Bob
Kaplan, probably best way to go, but have to make sure you get an up to date copy, and the practice tests weren't that great, well on the GRE's at least.
*nods*
For a Brit not used to such tests - it might pay (literally) to also attend some classes to get a feel for what's involved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.