Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting your heat on? :/

Getting your heat on? :/

Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:22 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting your heat on? :/

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That sounds unduly conservative, though it depends on whether the pipes are insulated, how much water you use, and where the pipes are located. Certainly in Canada, pipes should not be located embedded in exterior walls, but down here it is common. For water to actually freeze the temperature inside the house where the pipes are located actually has to get down to freezing, but if the pipes are in an exterior wall, and not well insulated maybe you really do need to keep the temperatures at 50°F or more, though even in my opinion, that is pretty dämned cold for indoors! If you have pipes in a crawl space or unheated basement you could hang a 100w (or 2x60w) light bulb in the area as it will generate enough heat to make a difference without spending a fortune on extra heating for the whole house, especially if you're going away for a while and want to turn the heat down.

A neighboring house to me has had occasional problems with water freezing in the well head, in the middle of the front yard, so sometimes it is just a bad installation situation, and that house now has the well cover filled with attic insulation wrapped in plastic! In seriously cold weather they run a power cord out to feed an incandescent light which generates enough heat to keep the pipe from freezing, as I described above.
Thanks for this info, Pulaski. It's interesting to me that the ONLY house in several countries I've ever lived in that had any problem with water freezing in the pipes was in the southeast UK. That particular 1960s-built house had some pipes on the outside of the outer walls and one did get blocked up on freezing days, despite being insulated with a plastic-foam sleeve thing, though even that pipe never burst, and usually unblocked after sufficient hot water from the tap worked its way down & out.

Our previous US landlord was very worried about freezing pipes, and wrote a clause into the lease that we could not set the thermostat below 50F in the winter. He was relieved when we agreed we didn't want to let the house get below around 55 even at night.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced burst pipes due to house temp being too cold? Usually it seems to be when people leave for a significant period of time and the temps outside drop drastically...

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 17th 2013 at 3:40 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
.... Just wondering if anyone has experienced burst pipes due to house temp being too cold? Usually it seems to be when people leave for a time and the temps outside drop drastically...
I've had pipes freeze when we were away for several weeks, I assume (a bucket of paint on the laundry room floor inside the house, above the plumbing in the crawl space, had a block of ice in it, and the ice split the bucket! so I am certain the supply pipes down below must have frozen solid), but most of my plumbing is PEX, which is flexible enough to be frozen and thawed without bursting or other damage.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

), but most of my plumbing is PEX, which is flexible enough to be frozen and thawed without bursting or other damage.[/QUOTE]

please don't bet on it. I've seen failures where the joints on the ends have blown off, and I've fixed a split pipe once too
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if anyone has experienced burst pipes due to house temp being too cold? Usually it seems to be when people leave for a significant period of time and the temps outside drop drastically...
Haven't had a burst, but my first house in CT had pipes that were too close to the outer wall in the kitchen and the first winter we were there they froze before we were aware of the problem. We gradually thawed them with a hairdryer and the tap opened and there was no burst. Thereafter, when it was cold enough we'd leave the doors of the cupboard under the kitchen sink open at night so that the warmth penetrated into the cubby hole with the pipes.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
..... please don't bet on it. I've seen failures where the joints on the ends have blown off, and I've fixed a split pipe once too
Thx, interesting. Good advice. The plumbing I installed this year has all been fully encased in tubular foam insulation. The next time I am in the crawlspace where the pipes froze I will wrap them in insulation too.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We don't normally get cold enough to cause problems, but an extended cold snap a couple of years ago caused 2 main problems. 1) lots of young palm trees died, and 2) the back flow preventers on a lot of folks sprinkler systems gave way. The kids loved riding round the neighborhood spotting all the new fountains! The opportunists came out and the going rate for repairs was around $300-$350 not a bad markup...I had to replace mine last summer, and it cost me $65 for the new valve, and less than 20 minutes to fit it. The year after the cold snap, everyone was lagging their valves at the slightest hint of cold weather
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For the last few nights no air con upstairs...windows open...bedroom a nice cool 68f. Happy husband.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For the last few nights no air con upstairs...windows open...bedroom a nice cool 68f. Happy husband.
Happy Maldives too!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question. We've been told that household pipes will freeze over the winter if we don't keep the house thermostats set to around 55F .... or some say 50F is the absolute lowest we can risk. Is this true? (We have a wood stove and hot-water baseboards, if that makes any difference.)
Depends on the pipe and the basement. New plumbing should be good, old plumbing and it's likely.

Tend to see it in the pipes if you've got a dodgy septic tank installed or a under powered sumpump. Bathroom taps if they're exterior wall side, or kitchen sink, then on cold nights and especially if you're away, keep the cupboards open at night.

We've had a pipe split in the basement and one in the wall that had a slow leak caused by some ice splitting it slightly. Luckily, it was all in a rental so wasn't our problem to sort out.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:51 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who responded to my question on the chance of freezing pipes.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Haven't had a burst, but my first house in CT had pipes that were too close to the outer wall in the kitchen and the first winter we were there they froze before we were aware of the problem. We gradually thawed them with a hairdryer and the tap opened and there was no burst. Thereafter, when it was cold enough we'd leave the doors of the cupboard under the kitchen sink open at night so that the warmth penetrated into the cubby hole with the pipes.
Originally Posted by Bob
... kitchen sink, then on cold nights and especially if you're away, keep the cupboards open at night.
OK, thanks, I will definitely start doing this. The extent of baseboard heating in the kitchen is a bit minimal for the square footage of the room (most of the possible baseboard space being taken up by cupboards and appliances), and I noticed when we bought the house that the kitchen can be somewhat cooler than the rest of the house.

In this part of the country we get daily freezing or below temperatures from around mid-November till the end of March. Fun!

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 18th 2013 at 3:53 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So now it's getting a bit chilly out...who's got the heat on?

Me, holding out for as long as possible, still have windows open and need to bring in the window AC units but I'm putting it off because I can't be arsed with pulling down the storm windows and getting the caulk gun out and sealing the windows back up and all the other faff about sealing the windows up properly with draft excluder's and the like. :/
Our central air is still running some nights. Haven't yet put the heating on. I don't presume we will do until it gets down to 35F ish.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thx, interesting. Good advice. The plumbing I installed this year has all been fully encased in tubular foam insulation. The next time I am in the crawlspace where the pipes froze I will wrap them in insulation too.
I have used Pex a lot both O2 Barrier and the regular, it can split, that would be unusual, more common would be for the joints to blow. It is not freeze proof, much easier to work with. You might get away with it a little bit where copper would split.

A well designed system should drain back, so you have no potable water in the lines when winterised.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have used Pex a lot both O2 Barrier and the regular, it can split, that would be unusual, more common would be for the joints to blow. It is not freeze proof, much easier to work with. You might get away with it a little bit where copper would split.

A well designed system should drain back, so you have no potable water in the lines when winterised.
Winterised? Usually we don't get anything that you, or I, would recognise as "winter" in these parts!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Heat has been on here for about 3 weeks now, only getting up to the low 60s on the warmest days, with night falling into the mid to high 40's.

Heat is all electrical baseboard heaters.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:27 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

No heating for us yet, today is the first day the a/c hasn't clicked on at some point, I even had a cardi on outside

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.