Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting UK Citizenship for Adopted Children - How hard is it?

Getting UK Citizenship for Adopted Children - How hard is it?

Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting UK Citizenship for Adopted Children - How hard is it?

There used to be a poster on here (his name is Patrick) and if memory serves me, he and his American wife did the same thing. That is they adopted their foster children and then he applied for British citizenship for them and was granted that (and their British passports, of course)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=2136

He hasn't posted since 2007, so don't know that he would reply to a private message. However, it looks as if his old posts are there, so have a look.

Best of luck!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

excuse me for replying from memory as I am not at home right now to look at the forms we completed. I phoned the relevant department in the UK to check if we could apply for UK Citizenship for our son (adopted) it was OK as he was born in the US but I was told that there are some countries that they do allow even though the US has no problem with approving adoptions from that country.

If you say that many Brits adopt from Russia, I suggest you phone the relevant department in UK government to find out why they won't give your Russian child UK citizenship, then you can attack from there before you employ legal counsel.

And not that it applies to you right know but applications for citizenship for adoptees has to be done before they are 18.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:31 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyarizona
We are going to try the MN1 application for both kids and see how it goes. The US born child shouldn't be an issue and if our Russian born daughter isn't approved then we will seek legal assistance to determine if there are any other options. As was said, both have US adoptions so hopefully that will work. Thanks for all of the feedback and information. Wish us luck!
Good luck. I will post a reply from my friend when I finally catch up to her
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyarizona
I am new to this forum so please excuse any etiquette errors. Below is a lengthy explanation but while I have searched the web and this forum, I don't see our exact scenario anywhere. I am trying to decide if we need to get a solicitor to help us with the MN1 registration application or if it is straight forward enough to manage ourselves. Any advice or past experience would be appreciated.

My husband is a UK Citizen (born and raised in the UK to British parents).
He became a US Citizen about 5 years ago.
I am a US Citizen.
We live in the US.

We have two adopted daughters.
Daughter #1 was adopted from foster care in the US. She has US passport. She was adopted at 4yrs old and is now 8yrs old.
Daughter #2 was adopted from Russia. She has a US passport and a Russian passport. She was adopted at 4yrs old is now 7yrs old.

My husband is concerned that we'll have to fight for their citizenship since they are adopted (I don't think so) and that we'll need help completing the form because there is a high probability they will reject it. (He does tend to worry in general). Anyone done MN1 forms in similar situations?
There was some discussion on the thread about whether the Russian adoption is valid for UK purposes. You've told us the child was effectively re-adopted in the United States, so normally that should count as a US adoption.

You may wish to look at the Nationality Instructions, which a Home Office caseworker will use.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...ctions/nivol1/

There's a lot of detail there, but you should download chapter 9 and then go straight to section 9.8 which deals with overseas adoptions.

Something else to think about - you have a US passport for your daughter from Russia, but for long term security you should also register her status with the USCIS by completing an N-600 form to get a certificate of US citizenship for her. The N-600 is expensive and some will tell you it's not needed, but I would consider it like an insurance policy.

The consequences later on of a delay or difficulty in being able to re-evidence acquisition of US citizenship many years previously can be quite serious.