Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping UK (South East) to NYC

Shipping UK (South East) to NYC

Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of
Default Shipping UK (South East) to NYC

Hello,

Has anyone had to fund their own shipping and used a company from UK to US they would recommend? I have marginal support on shipping from the company so am keen to make savings wherever possible.

thanks!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping UK (South East) to NYC

Originally Posted by ryanayr
Hello,

Has anyone had to fund their own shipping and used a company from UK to US they would recommend? I have marginal support on shipping from the company so am keen to make savings wherever possible.

thanks!
What volume are you talking about...furniture or personal items that could go in boxes?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of

Sorry - from what I have heard I might fit into a 20ft container. We are talking about one bed, a cot, dinner table, several boxes. I would lfy out there twice before the move so would start hauling things by hand too!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - from what I have heard I might fit into a 20ft container. We are talking about one bed, a cot, dinner table, several boxes. I would lfy out there twice before the move so would start hauling things by hand too!
Bed sizes are different over here...not sure about the cot. Some beds aren't that much different but is does make a difference to fitted sheets.

http://www.here-be-dreams.com/bedroom/bed-sizes.html

As houses/rooms tend to be larger over here...so is the furniture. My old dining suite would be lost in my current dining room.

As shipping costs are a concern it may be worth leaving the furniture behind that way you wouldn't need a container. Also shipping a container will probably take a couple of months and could be held at customs at extra cost. Best best is to get a quote from some removal companies like Pickfords...sounds like you would only need a part container but that can still cost thousands. Take a look through this thread by Ozzidoc who shipped boxes only.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 28th 2012 at 9:07 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice!
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is the stuff top quality or antique?

If not, sell it and use the money to buy in the US, it'll be cheaper.

Smaller items, use a parcel force type shipper, of which there are loads, a few mentioned in the wiki.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:09 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

It cost 800 GBP to for me to ship 13 boxes (including 3 guitars) which included the insurance premium (about 165 or so if IIRC). Unless it's very valuable I wouldn't recommend shipping over large furniture as it will be expensive. Mine only took up a portion of a container.

I used Dymocks International which is part of Doree Bonner International (this was Jan 2010).
Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

We are lucky that my husbands company is paying shipping costs. We have just had people out from two companies to quote for the contract.
The companies are DT Moving and InterDean.
We haven't seen the costings yet, but both companies have been very professional so far. They both have websites if you want to google them.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

I used anglo-pacific when I moved (1 year ago today!) from London to Connecticut - after a bit of negotiation they moved the contents of a 2 bed apartment for 800 pounds.

(No beds/sofas or appliances)

They were very good and it took around 4 weeks door to door
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - I am almost certainly going to take the advice to sell here, buy there!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

There are Ikea's on Long Island and CT so stuff can be replaced - you know the "quality" from probably buying stuff from there in the UK and the beds/duvets/sheets etc are the sizes you will be used to.

Also when you come over there may be someone from the forum that are leaving NYC/CT and going back to the UK and may want to get rid of their electrical itmes (may be worth a post nearer the time..............)

Looking forward to the summer BBQ's!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NSBlake
There are Ikea's on Long Island and CT so stuff can be replaced - you know the "quality" from probably buying stuff from there in the UK and the beds/duvets/sheets etc are the sizes you will be used to.

The words quality and Ikea don't really belong in the same sentence.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The words quality and Ikea don't really belong in the same sentence.
Hence the use of "Quality" :-)

I think the quality is good for the price - its relative. It's quite often better than the US rubbish made of fake dark wood that appears to be sold everywhere.

You could consider Crate and Barrel also, it's more expensive than IKEA, but is better quality.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSBlake
there may be someone from the forum that are leaving NYC/CT and going back to the UK
I hope that is a proper "someone" and not you!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

I hope that is a proper "someone" and not you!
LOL - someone posted on here a week or so ago that they were leaving NYC to go back home to the UK. (Someone like them..........)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.