Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting there....

Getting there....

Old May 17th 2009, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

kentuckybound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting there....

I am finally approaching the last stages of getting my CR-1 visa. Medical tomorrow and my interview on the 12th June in London.... Wish me luck

Its been a long road so far, 18months in all from our initial application in Oct'07, but thats just because they lost our initial application and made us wait 6months before admitting to it blaming the July '07 backlog for the delay.... So my advice to any future applicant would be that if they havent heard anything within a couple of months just to resubmit a new application. It would save a lot of heartache and disappointment.

Anyway, my actual question is this.......

When I arrive in the US to finally be with my wife and step-kids one of my first priorities is obtaining transport to enable me to get to work. I will not have a huge amount of money that would be classified as disposable due to the fact that for the past 2yrs we have had to maintain two separate living expenses whilst both in lowish pay. An experience I am sure many of you are very aware of. We will set up a joint account, and I will be transferring my AmEx into a US account. I am presuming that I would have no credit rating as I am a new immigrant, but would my wifes be used since we would have a joint account? If so what would be the best way of getting a car... would a used or new car be the best option considering how desperate the car industry is at the moment, and where would the best place to get a loan be, independent or through the dealership?

Thanks for any advice anyone may have who has gone through the same thing.
Old May 17th 2009, 1:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting there....

Hi kentucky-bound. I moved your post to the USA forum, since it's not really about visas, but rather about getting transportation.

Rene
Old May 17th 2009, 2:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting there....

Your wife could just get the loan in her name and buy the car. That way your lack of credit score wouldn't muddy the waters.

As long as you are an insured driver it doesn't matter who the vehicle is registered to.

We have found that more often than not our credit union offers better loans than we could get elsewhere. Like most things it pays to shop around. Usually the dealer gets commission on the loan so that can make it more expensive than if you arrange it elsewhere.

As to where to buy it depends what you want and how much you can spend.