Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical insurance

Medical insurance

Old May 16th 2009, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

loftedfalcon will become famous soon enoughloftedfalcon will become famous soon enough
Default Medical insurance

Hiya,

I'm planning to move over to Kansas toward the end of the year to marry and live with my fiancée. It seems that her work medical insurance policy will include her spouse but obviously I need to know what the best opinion is until we are actually married.

Any ideas?

rob
Old May 16th 2009, 10:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance

Originally Posted by loftedfalcon
what the best opinion is
stay healthy.
Old May 17th 2009, 12:20 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

depends on how long between arriving and marrage and what sort of visa you are using! if a short stay, regular travel insurence, if on a visa for a long stay start with the company which insures her and work your way through the yellow pages!
Old May 17th 2009, 12:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Check to see if you'll get covered as soon as you marry or if you have to sign up within x number of days, or if they have a enrolment period sometime during the year when your allowed to sign on.
Old May 17th 2009, 2:01 am
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Check to see if you'll get covered as soon as you marry or if you have to sign up within x number of days, or if they have a enrolment period sometime during the year when your allowed to sign on.
Oftentimes, the insurance policies have a "dramatic change" clause or something along those lines in which if a major life change occurs, the spouse or new child is covered immediately and you don't have to wait until the next fiscal year to get them covered.

So let's hope that's the case with you
Old May 17th 2009, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
Oftentimes, the insurance policies have a "dramatic change" clause or something along those lines in which if a major life change occurs, the spouse or new child is covered immediately and you don't have to wait until the next fiscal year to get them covered.
Usually, but not always. I had that issue myself when I first moved here...
Old May 17th 2009, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed healthy.
Old May 17th 2009, 1:24 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved over here I got an 'Intended immigrant' Insurance policy.

The coverage was good and the price was pretty reasonable, especially when I now look and see what some of my co-workers are paying for Insurance.

If you google 'Intended Immigrant Health Insurance' something should come up, or IIRC the company was 'Buy american insurances' You can get coverage for pretty much however many months you need it for, and can renew it afterwards. Also if you get covered before your policy is over you can get a refund for the time you have not used.

Incidently, Since we moved here in December we have not needed to go to a Doctor, so I can't comment on how quick or reasonable they are to pay up if you do have to claim....... and sods law now we're not covered I need to go!
Old May 17th 2009, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

loftedfalcon will become famous soon enoughloftedfalcon will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your advice!!
Old May 17th 2009, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Nver had any medical insurance in 12 + year
Old May 17th 2009, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ray
Nver had any medical insurance in 12 + year
and look where that got you