Reload this Page >

getting a mortgage

getting a mortgage

Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Eeteet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting a mortgage

Hi,

Anyone have any experience of using UK credit rating in USA. Currently, as SSN has no history, lenders cannot see credit history. Are there any othe rmethods such as a global credit check company like experian? I can prove income but no USA history.

I have good credit history; cards, 14 year UK mortgage, good income etc. But when they check against SSN there is nothing there, anyone been through this before, any solutions ?

thanks
Old Dec 13th 2011, 5:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting a mortgage

Originally Posted by Eeteet
Hi,

Anyone have any experience of using UK credit rating in USA. Currently, as SSN has no history, lenders cannot see credit history. Are there any othe rmethods such as a global credit check company like experian? I can prove income but no USA history.

I have good credit history; cards, 14 year UK mortgage, good income etc. But when they check against SSN there is nothing there, anyone been through this before, any solutions ?

thanks
Yes, tons of people have this problem when they immigrate to the USA.

Your UK credit history is not counted.

You need to start building US credit history. Easiest way is to get a secured credit card through your bank, use it wisely, then after 1 year upgrade it to an unsecured card. Then open other cards such as department store and gas station cards. Get a small auto loan at some point.

I've heard that if you had a UK American Express card, your history from that will transfer over to your USA American Express card.

Rene
Old Dec 13th 2011, 5:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a recent thread on the topic: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...10#post9776610

Rene
Old Dec 13th 2011, 7:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here's a recent thread on the topic: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...10#post9776610

Rene
Was about to say, this topic is something that comes up every few days, probably as much as moving to Florida.

The wiki is a pretty good place to check out too for credit history information as well.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeteet
Hi,

thanks
When I first came over I rented for 7 1/2 months before getting a mortgage, it was part of my relocation package if I used one of two companies, I ended up using Wells Fargo who were excellent in helping me get my mortgage - they knew I didn't have any credit history here but wanted letters from my lender in the UK giving details of how much the loan was for and if it had been paid on time each month, they also wanted letters from my credit cards stating that I paid at least the minimum amount monthly and on this basis I was able to buy a house over here.

Someone else mentioned about an American Express card, yes it is true that if you get a UK American Express card before you come over and use it you can get an American American Express card and this starts to help build your credit score, it certainly doesn't harm it.

Brendan
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:00 am
Just Joined

shanejet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
We were able to get a mortgage in the USA without any credit history, we did get a credit card a couple of months previous.
But when applying for the mortgage the credit report showed that we still had no credit history at all.

I think the one deciding factor though was that we had about 50k (at the time) in the bank, so was able to put down a 20% deposit.

The bank we used was HSBC, if you are in Florida let me know, and I will pass on the details of the lady at HSBC that did all the work for us.
They also use an international credit rating, which from viewing it, is actually just the same credit report that we obtained from home before we came over.

Sorry forgot to say, we had the loan just over 4 months after we moved here.

Also, apparently the visa you have is a deciding factor as well according to the bank, L1A visa's are fine
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

loggi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
sorry to jump in on this post. We are currently looking to try get a mortgage in florida would really like the details of the person you used if you would kindly pass them on please.
Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

shanejet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loggi
Hi,
sorry to jump in on this post. We are currently looking to try get a mortgage in florida would really like the details of the person you used if you would kindly pass them on please.
Thanks
PM sent Loggi, good luck