Jobs

Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:25 am
Just Joined

humphreydoodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs

For those who are now back in the UK, what is the job situation like over there? We are a teacher and a social worker who will need work ASAP after arrival in Jan.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jobs

dismal
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they were always looking for social workers
I've heard that it's hard for teachers to find work, my friend is married to one and he is working full time, I think it depends on where you will be living and what kind of teacher. The local tech near my mother was advertising a couple of teaching positions the other week.
You can always keep a look out here. http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...c615075e&pid=2 and on the websites devoted you your professions.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Social workers would be advertised on the NHS jobs site:

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/index.html

good luck! :-)
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks form the replies. Hubby is shortage subjects, science etc but there seems very little about and no social work posts because the local authorities have made redundancies. Worried sick we wont get work.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

My experience is that it wasn't as dire as I thought it would be. I moved to a semi-rural area where jobs are supposedly pretty scare--especially professional jobs (Lincolnshire). I wasn't looking for teaching/social work but I was looking for public sector. I got a job offer 6 weeks after arrival and started 2 weeks later, which I think is pretty good! I saw a lot of teaching and NHS jobs compared with other sectors.

I would say to make sure you have plenty in savings though as 1) the application process can move quite slowly (the job I got an offer for on October 3, I applied for at the end of July!) and 2)most places pay monthly over here so it might be quite a while before you get that first paycheck.

Good luck!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks Just Jenn, I suppose the down side for us two also is that we are on the wrong side of 50 which worries me too.

Last edited by humphreydoodle; Nov 7th 2011 at 9:35 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by humphreydoodle
For those who are now back in the UK, what is the job situation like over there? We are a teacher and a social worker who will need work ASAP after arrival in Jan.
Much of the unemployment is regional. If you are open as to where you live, then the south is in a much better state than the north. I think you need to research each area independently.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:41 am
Just Joined

alicet is an unknown quantity at this point

job situation in public sector is not as good as it once was, but lots of people have been made redundant and jobs still have to be done ... i would suggest sign up with an agency. Eg, but there are loads more...

Social Work Recruitment, Social Work Jobs, Social Work Careers
www.4socialwork.com/
www.protocol-education.com/

Good luck
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

If your social work degree is from the US your qualifications MUST be evaluated by the GSCC... http://tiny.cc/zubb7
a up to 16 wk process. In July the evaluation is being switched to the HPC. http://www.hpc-uk.org/
All international social worker credentials must be assessed to work in the UK as the title social worker is protected in the UK.

Last edited by Brigette; Jan 6th 2012 at 2:20 am.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. Im back in the UK now and have been offered a two year contract. I qualified as a SW in the UK and am registeterd with the GSCC. It's so cold here! Not keen on being back!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies. Im back in the UK now and have been offered a two year contract. I qualified as a SW in the UK and am registeterd with the GSCC. It's so cold here! Not keen on being back!
Congrats! Glad everything went well. How did you get your job? Did you use an agency or apply through the NHS?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well done
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister recently got made redundant in the Midlands. They had about 3 months warning that they were going. She started looking as soon as she knew and managed to get a job just before they finished end of December. Which is good but the new job is a 2 year fixed contract and she'd have prefered a permanent job.