Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a Louisiana Driving License

Getting a Louisiana Driving License

Old Oct 15th 2015, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

DJL99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a Louisiana Driving License

I'm a recently moved permanent resident who needs to get my car license sorted fairly swiftly... but also has no vacation/sick time accrued time from my new job.

I found an archived thread on this from 2009 which suggested you need to take a test to get a local license

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...cences-628615/

Various DMV websites (which state they are not official) say "All first time applicants must complete a 36-hour driver education course or a 6-hour pre-licensing training course approved by the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections. Those applicants holding an out-of-state, foreign or military license are exempt from this requirement" and "Non-US citizens (immigrants or non-immigrants) residing in Louisiana may apply for a Louisiana driver's license, as long as they can provide proof that they are legally authorized to be in the United States, and meet all the other requirements.

How to Apply for a New Driver's License in Louisiana | OMV

Driver's License issuance for aliens living in Louisiana" but the local address they link to suggests it is only if you are living in Lousiana temporarily (doesn't say for how long and I plan on being here permanently).
https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/OMV1...f?OpenDocument

When i went to the local DMV (Office of Motor Vehicles) and they told me I had to complete a six hour training course and told me to google it (helpful!)

Just wondering if anyone has any further experience of this? Any help appreciated!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 4:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Louisiana Driving License

I don't know about LA, but that process is exactly the same as what I had to go through in NY. I spent five hours on a Saturday in a room listening to someone drone on about safe driving, using seat belts, and not drinking and driving. Then I had a road test to do, which took about 10 minutes and could have been passed by a blind chimp. No wonder drivings standards in the US are appalling!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

In WA , I had to do a written test first (20 questions). Then I just applied for my drive test which too about 10 mins. No training required.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Louisiana driving license

I got it about 2 weeks ago 6hrs in classroom 8hrs behind the wheel in 4hr session the local DMV was an experience they were lovely enough but they didn't have a clue how to put me into the system with my E34 so they took my number and they called me in couple of days upon returning they still didn't initially but they sorted it in the end.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

DJL99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much. 6 hours + 8 hours followed by a day at the DMV it is then!
Old Oct 16th 2015, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJL99
Thank you all so much. 6 hours + 8 hours followed by a day at the DMV it is then!
I am not certain that the 8hrs behind the wheel is required, and if it is Louisiana is the first state I have heard that mandates BTW time for seasoned immigrant drivers. I know some people on BE in several states have voluntarily taken some BTW training, but IMO that is unnecessary for most experienced drivers as long as you can focus on being a "perfect driver" for ten minutes. That basically means demonstrating that you can keep the car off the kerb and out of the ditch, stop at STOP signs and red lights, and don't hit another vehicle. Actually the last item doesn't appear to be cause for an automatic fail!
Old Oct 16th 2015, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is the case Pulaski I was a new driver period only had a full UK bike licence but the wife had been driving since 17 and it was the same for both of us. Its wasn't difficult I do play alot of Grand Turismo though.

Just go and stop. my instructor was cool gave me a guided tour of the area saw cotton fields and some rather nice houses in the country.

My main concern with driving here is remebering the roads are bigger when doing left turns to make sure I don't end up going wrong way. Its not as clear here as in the UK
Old Oct 17th 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Lanyu
...... My main concern with driving here is remembering the roads are bigger when doing left turns to make sure I don't end up going wrong way. Its not as clear here as in the UK
Yeah, I had that problem: junctions are large and often not well illuminated. I really wish America had those white bollards in the end of the central reservation, that are illuminated from the inside; a crooked arrow on a post is an inadequate substitute.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I got dinged on was being slightly hesitant on an uncontrolled intersection. Everyone has right of way.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

You mean the ones where it's whoever gets there first? Or who's in the biggest truck!

Last edited by Lanyu; Oct 20th 2015 at 11:11 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lanyu
You mean the ones where it's whoever gets there first? Or who's in the biggest truck!
Yes, the ones where no one has to stop and the biggest truck wins.