Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:24 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
beanzmeanzheinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Can anyone offer any advice about getting a job in Indianapolis? I have been submitting applications and sending emails, but am not even getting responses. My EAD will be through soon and I really need to be in work ASAP.

I have a degree education BSc from the UK, but my professional qualifications aren't valid out here.

I don't mind what I do particuarly, and am not expecting to just walk into a highly paid job, but I don't seem to be having much luck with anything.

Thanks
beanzmeanzheinz is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:32 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Englishtart's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Charleston,SC. born in Stockport,UK.
Posts: 10,109
Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by beanzmeanzheinz View Post
Can anyone offer any advice about getting a job in Indianapolis? I have been submitting applications and sending emails, but am not even getting responses. My EAD will be through soon and I really need to be in work ASAP.

I have a degree education BSc from the UK, but my professional qualifications aren't valid out here.

I don't mind what I do particuarly, and am not expecting to just walk into a highly paid job, but I don't seem to be having much luck with anything.

Thanks
I know it's not much consolation, but you are not alone Seems there are lots of folks in the same spot, nobody seems to take the time to respond to applicants these days, unless you are the lucky one that gets the job!

There really is no magic advice, you just have to keep putting in app's and hoping for the best...Good luck
Englishtart is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:38 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
beanzmeanzheinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
I know it's not much consolation, but you are not alone Seems there are lots of folks in the same spot, nobody seems to take the time to respond to applicants these days, unless you are the lucky one that gets the job!

There really is no magic advice, you just have to keep putting in app's and hoping for the best...Good luck
Thank you. Is it because we're Brits? or are there just too few jobs around? It's becoming very demoralising.
beanzmeanzheinz is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:08 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
discoviking's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 970
discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by beanzmeanzheinz View Post
Thank you. Is it because we're Brits? or are there just too few jobs around? It's becoming very demoralising.
It's not because you are a Brit. My wife is a natural born USC and has been looking for over 2 years now. There just aren't as many jobs as there were a few years ago.
discoviking is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:18 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

It may be worth your time to find a careers counselor (at a local college for example) to review your resume. There are significant differences between the US and UK styles and particular tricks with representing your qualifications so that you aren't instantly dismissed (2:1 degree class or GPA of 2.1).

Unfortunately a lot of resumes are now scanned automagically by computers and ignored, the modern way is apparently to "network" (yuck).
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:23 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
traceym's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Silicone Valley
Posts: 1,730
traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by beanzmeanzheinz View Post
Thank you. Is it because we're Brits? or are there just too few jobs around? It's becoming very demoralising.
I have applied for dozens and dozens of jobs, when you've been at it a while you begin to understand the system here. Dont expect to hear anything from anyone, there are no nice polite we received your application or thanks for applying but no thanks. When you do hear it will be for an interview, after the interview dont believe a word they say about when they will contact you, mostly you never hear again, unless you got the job, again, no thanks for bothering to show up mails. It's just the way the system works here and the fact that there are so many applicants for each job, they can afford to be very picky. Keep trying, it does get you down and it makes you feel useless but you're not alone, and it's not you, theres a lot of us, not just Brits either.
traceym is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:46 pm
  #7  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,774
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

It's a bit shit, but get used to not hearing anything and it won't get you down so much

Have you looked at what it takes to be a sub teacher? It's pretty easy up in Maine, but a massive pain in the arse in Mass, so depending on the hassle, might be worth a go.

Looked at childcare type places? Usually don't need state cert's if your an employee other than a background check.
Bob is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:54 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
beanzmeanzheinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It's a bit shit, but get used to not hearing anything and it won't get you down so much

Have you looked at what it takes to be a sub teacher? It's pretty easy up in Maine, but a massive pain in the arse in Mass, so depending on the hassle, might be worth a go.

Looked at childcare type places? Usually don't need state cert's if your an employee other than a background check.
Thanks - I'll give these a try
beanzmeanzheinz is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:54 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
beanzmeanzheinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Thanks for all your replies - they cheered me up a little (I think). At least it's not just me
beanzmeanzheinz is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:59 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Kaffy Mintcake's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 8,497
Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by beanzmeanzheinz View Post
Thanks for all your replies - they cheered me up a little (I think). At least it's not just me
Maybe try a different approach. I would try attending a Young Professionals' evening or similar. Just sending out applications endlessly may not get you anywhere. If, however, you meet someone and impress them, that could lead to the opening of doors.

I just googled and found this site, though there are probably many opportunities:

http://www.ypci.net/
Kaffy Mintcake is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:34 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
beanzmeanzheinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake View Post
Maybe try a different approach. I would try attending a Young Professionals' evening or similar. Just sending out applications endlessly may not get you anywhere. If, however, you meet someone and impress them, that could lead to the opening of doors.

I just googled and found this site, though there are probably many opportunities:

http://www.ypci.net/
Thanks for this, although at 42 I'm not sure they'd consider me young!
beanzmeanzheinz is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:46 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Kaffy Mintcake's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 8,497
Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by beanzmeanzheinz View Post
Thanks for this, although at 42 I'm not sure they'd consider me young!
Well hopefully this will make you feel good. I assumed that was your picture in your avatar and thought you were in your early 20's! My apologies!

I would still look into networking opportunities. The key is putting a name to a face. If you apply to everything with the same resume, etc. you're basically in a stack of papers ... the key is to extract yourself from the stack and that's not easy, and particularly not easy now.

If you don't find a formal event, schedule lunches with people you meet to talk about what they do for a living, etc. I know that sounds weird, but it's a good way to make contacts and many people will want to help you out.
Kaffy Mintcake is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:58 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
beanzmeanzheinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake View Post
Well hopefully this will make you feel good. I assumed that was your picture in your avatar and thought you were in your early 20's! My apologies!

I would still look into networking opportunities. The key is putting a name to a face. If you apply to everything with the same resume, etc. you're basically in a stack of papers ... the key is to extract yourself from the stack and that's not easy, and particularly not easy now.

If you don't find a formal event, schedule lunches with people you meet to talk about what they do for a living, etc. I know that sounds weird, but it's a good way to make contacts and many people will want to help you out.
It is my picture in my avatar, taken last Christmas. Must be the subdued lighting and make-up, you've made my night!
beanzmeanzheinz is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:01 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Kaffy Mintcake's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 8,497
Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in Indianapolis???

Originally Posted by beanzmeanzheinz View Post
It is my picture in my avatar, taken last Christmas. Must be the subdued lighting and make-up, you've made my night!
Good - I try. Best of luck to you from someone (albeit an American) living 2 hours east.
Kaffy Mintcake is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.