British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Getting a bank account and car insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/getting-bank-account-car-insurance-434321/)

Amanda81 Mar 13th 2007 12:33 pm

Getting a bank account and car insurance

Hi

My partner and I are moving to America in June. He will have a J1 visa and I will have a J2 visa. He will have to start work almost immediately after we arrive.This means we will have to open a bank account, rent an apartment, buy car and get it insured pretty quickly. What information will we need to have to open a bank account and get car insurance? How do we go about doing it? :confused:

Thanks

danfan Mar 13th 2007 12:49 pm

Re: Getting a bank account and car insurance

Several months after I moved here, there was a law change about bank accounts & I needed a social security number to get an account (couldn't even have my name added to my husband's account). I believe there are some banks that don't require a SSN but most do. Hopefully someone can advise you on which ones don't require it.

You will need to apply for a SSN pretty quick. You even need it for pretty much everything over here, and once you apply, it comes through quite fast.

Ray Mar 13th 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4513184)
Several months after I moved here, there was a law change about bank accounts & I needed a social security number to get an account (couldn't even have my name added to my husband's account). I believe there are some banks that don't require a SSN but most do. Hopefully someone can advise you on which ones don't require it.

You will need to apply for a SSN pretty quick. You even need it for pretty much everything over here, and once you apply, it comes through quite fast.

There is no requirement under the Patriot Act to have a SSN for a bank account ..although some banks may have their own policies on that ..
If one bank refuses you ..just go to the next one ...

www.progressive.com will insure a car using your foreign licence at a hefty price...get your US licence as soon as possible ..

danfan Mar 13th 2007 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4513203)
There is no requirement under the Patriot Act to have a SSN for a bank account ..although some banks may have their own policies on that ..
If one bank refuses you ..just go to the next one ...

www.progressive.com will insure a car using your foreign licence at a hefty price...get your US licence as soon as possible ..

Thanks Ray. I did just read also that if you have a reciept notice of application for an SSN, that will suffice for many banks that do have the requirement.

Ray Mar 13th 2007 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4513218)
Thanks Ray. I did just read also that if you have a reciept notice of application for an SSN, that will suffice for many banks that do have the requirement.

Umm!! I just would not use a bank that had petty crap rules ..
but often it just the bottom layer of staff that try it on ...
Go higher and its usually no problem ..

danfan Mar 13th 2007 1:45 pm

Don't they all need some kind of ID number (SSN, tax ID, EIN etc) as part of Know Your Customer malarky? I saw those little signs in all banks last year when we moved & had to get a new account.

Ray Mar 13th 2007 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4513370)
Don't they all need some kind of ID number (SSN, tax ID, EIN etc) as part of Know Your Customer malarky? I saw those little signs in all banks last year when we moved & had to get a new account.

Think of it this way ...there are around 25k (conservative est) foreign owned houses in Florida..the owner of which all have bank accounts ... but none have SSN...

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 13th 2007 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4513406)
Think of it this way ...there are around 25k (conservative est) foreign owned houses in Florida..the owner of which all have bank accounts ... but none have SSN...

Interesting, if I had to guess I wuld have added another '0'.

I opened an account without a SSN.

Ray Mar 13th 2007 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4514166)
Interesting, if I had to guess I wuld have added another '0'.
I opened an account without a SSN.

I did say conservative ....
So did I .... although I had to tell them how to do it ...

Bob Mar 13th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4513370)

You just need proof of identity, so a passport or drivers license would be fine...they prefer SSN because it's easier...and if they require a number and you don't have one - 000-00-0004 that's generic johny foreigner number they can scribble down.

As for insurance and sorting a car, depends on which state you'll be in.

Rete Mar 13th 2007 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4513184)

No new law about needing a social security number for opening a bank account that I know of either.

For the OP, both and your spouse are eligible for social security numbers by virtue of your visa. However, note that SSA will not issue a number to you unless you show up on the database they share with USCIS. It usually takes 7 to 10 days for this information to be logged onto the system. I, personally, would not attempt to apply for a social security number/card until the 10th day.

For renting an apartment since most landlords want and check references and credit history you are going to have a difficult time. If possible can hubby get a letter of employment from his company as to starting date, rate of salary? Bring letters of reference from former landlords.

As for the driver's licenses since you are eligible for a social security number get the license you cannot apply until you have the social security number and a several items showing you are living in the city, i.e. utility bill, lease, etc.

Looks like you will be driving on your foreign licenses for a month or so.

gsnichol Mar 13th 2007 8:17 pm

I didn't need an SSN for my bank account. In fact I opened the account before I'd even been to the social security office. There was an 'issue' with the USCIS database since the day and month of my date of birth had been interchanged (I think the I-94 forms are dd/mm/yy so whoever entered it in the data base transposed them). Easily resolved at the social security office.

Lots of threads on here about establishing credit and the secured credit card - you should ask for one.

As for a driving licence, rules vary by state. I needed to show nothing more than my passport/visa/I-94 (and the fact I knew the laws and could move and stop the car). They didn't request proof of address, oddly!

Paul S Mar 13th 2007 10:06 pm

I got the bank account opened complete with a credit card before i got my SSN;)

I hear that hell will likely freeze over before i get a green card:rofl: :rofl:

danfan Mar 14th 2007 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 4515417)
I got the bank account opened complete with a credit card before i got my SSN;)

I hear that hell will likely freeze over before i get a green card:rofl: :rofl:

Interesting how many people managed to get a bank account without a SSN. I just couldn't no matter where I went. This was in Oct 03 & they told me that the changes went into affect in Sept 03.

Paul S Mar 14th 2007 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4518113)
Interesting how many people managed to get a bank account without a SSN. I just couldn't no matter where I went. This was in Oct 03 & they told me that the changes went into affect in Sept 03.

very strange:confused: :confused: Obviously changes from bank to bank, I distinctly remember them saying 'thats fine we'll just enter all zero's for the SSN' :blink: as soon as it came through I had it updated instantly:)

penguinsix Mar 14th 2007 4:23 pm

I hope this helps clear up the SNN issue with banks:

http://www.ago.state.co.us/idtheft/ssn.cfm

Banks and securities brokerages -- under the USA Patriot Act, 31 U.S.C. § 5318, financial institutions are required to establish minimum standards for properly identifying their customers opening new accounts (include checking, savings, loans, safe deposit boxes, and/or investments). Under federal regulations adopted in May 2003, banks, savings associations, credit unions, securities broker-dealers, futures commissions merchants, and mutual funds were required to have Customer Identification Programs (“CIPs”) in place by October 1, 2003. Information required to identify customers under a CIP includes name, date of birth, address, and a social security or federal tax identification number;

http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/fina...ification.html

The Rule requires banks to obtain an identification number from every customer opening an account. For U.S. persons, that identifying number must be a social security number or a taxpayer identification number (TIN). There are no exceptions. Agency guidance on the implementation of the Rule has indicated that even members of sects, such as the Amish, that do not want to be identified by a number, still will be required to provide a social security number at account opening. As to the timing of obtaining the identification number, the Rule provides that in those circumstances in which a person has applied for, but has not yet received a TIN, a bank’s CIP may provide for procedures to confirm that the TIN has been applied for and that the TIN is received within a reasonable period of time after the account is opened.

Because there is no uniform identification number that non-U.S. persons are able to provide to a bank, a bank has the option to obtain a variety of identification numbers from non-U.S. persons, including passport numbers and country of issuance and alien identification numbers. A bank must decide for itself, based upon appropriate risk factors, whether the information presented by the customer enables the bank to establish a reasonable belief that it knows the true identity of the customer.

Big D Mar 14th 2007 4:35 pm

Bank of America will open an account with a passport and no SSN if thats of any help to anyone!

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 14th 2007 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 4518220)
Bank of America will open an account with a passport and no SSN if thats of any help to anyone!

Remember all the fuss a month or so ago when they launched a credit card aimed at illegals.

One of the requirements was that they had had a current account for so long, and be definition they will not have valid SSN's.

MHolkham Apr 11th 2007 6:46 pm

My husband applied for an ein number before we left the UK. We opened a bank account while on visit here because of the ein number it was possible. We used my sister's address. We also applied for a ss number while on visit he already had his green card so was no problem. Once we moved here, all he had to do was go and take his driving test. We then bought an auto and was able to get insurance straight away. We then bought a house for which we paid cash so no problem there. It takes a bit of planning but it can be smooth.

NinjaTariq Apr 15th 2007 3:50 pm

I am married to a US citizen, living in the states waiting for my green card...

I called Bank of America and they said they will not do it without a SSN. However I also called HSBC, closest branch is about 100 miles away in Philly and they said they would open with just my passport.

I am going to call Citizens bank tomorrow which is much closer, part of the rbs group.

Shame about Bank of America, the only bank within walking distance.

Elvira Apr 15th 2007 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by NinjaTariq (Post 4645175)
I am married to a US citizen, living in the states waiting for my green card...

I called Bank of America and they said they will not do it without a SSN. However I also called HSBC, closest branch is about 100 miles away in Philly and they said they would open with just my passport.

I am going to call Citizens bank tomorrow which is much closer, part of the rbs group.

Shame about Bank of America, the only bank within walking distance.

Go back to BoA and insist on speaking to someone higher up. The bods on the floor know diddly squatt.

Quote them the law as posted by Penguinsix.

NinjaTariq Apr 15th 2007 5:03 pm

We did, before i even read this post... Seems that they will accept me.

Makes life easier, i can walk to the bank if i need it.

Now i just need to get my pay every month from the UK, but thats much easier once i have a US bank account.

Thanks guys...

TruBrit Apr 15th 2007 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4645423)
Go back to BoA and insist on speaking to someone higher up. The bods on the floor know diddly squatt.

Quote them the law as posted by Penguinsix.

errr like on the 30th floor :lol:

dunno i'm in a giggly mood today :o

SeeYouLaterAligator May 13th 2007 10:57 am

Do you need to be in the states to open these type of accounts or is there a way to open a US Bank account from the UK - so you will have it for when you move over.

I know that many UK banks are in relationships with US banks, so is it possible to go into a UK bank to open an US account? not sure which bank to use.

I'm so confused but we need to send some money to the states to help with getting our house. We wont have our visa for a few more months.

thanks

Ali :)

Ray May 13th 2007 11:18 am

Originally Posted by SeeYouLaterAligator (Post 4773287)
Do you need to be in the states to open these type of accounts or is there a way to open a US Bank account from the UK - so you will have it for when you move over.

I know that many UK banks are in relationships with US banks, so is it possible to go into a UK bank to open an US account? not sure which bank to use.

I'm so confused but we need to send some money to the states to help with getting our house. We wont have our visa for a few more months.

thanks

You could open a dollar account with citibank in the UK ...
But on his next visit just go into Wachovia if you have one near you ...
prettiest much the easiest it seems ...

MarkLB May 14th 2007 2:52 pm

I was going to make a new thread for my question but it's related to this thread so I'll ask it here.

I have a credit card that I will be transfering the balance on to another card soon (I'm one of the 0% 6 months balance transfer jumpers!) but towards the end of the year my K1-visa should be approved so I will be taking my credit card to the US with me. Could anyone give me some useful pointers or their experiences with the credit cards that they took with them and how they went about paying off the balance? I have an MBNA europe card at the moment which is very good and as with other cards they can be paid over the internet. Is this the only way to do this? Or please don't tell me that the balance has to be paid off in full before you go! :(

Ray May 14th 2007 2:56 pm

Live within your means young man ....
Paying it off is a very good idea ...

NinjaTariq May 14th 2007 3:38 pm

Hi,

I live in the US, I have a Amex and my cahoot card back in the UK. I am waiting for my green card at the moment, but get paid in the UK.

Amex is good, they will just transfer your card and balance over here as long as you have a SSN. I can call the US customer services and they will help me out while my account is still in the UK. They are so helpful.

Cahoot sucks, they hate the fact I am not in the UK, and will be closing my account for me if I stay in the US any longer than June.

MBNA shouldn't be too bad, I have found companies which operate in both countries to be quite helpful (like my current US bank HSBC). You might want to call MBNA, they might be able to do something. Since i get paid in the UK, I have the reverse problem because i live in the US, but its been no real problem.

But i agree with Ray, pay it off and start fresh here if you can. I couldn't but if you can you should.

Tariq

NinjaTariq May 14th 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SeeYouLaterAligator (Post 4773287)

thanks

HSBC allow you to create an account in the UK from the US end, not sure if you can do it the other way round. As long as you are moving to the east coast you shouldn't be too far away from an HSBC branch either, there are plenty of them around. Since HSBC is in both countries it just makes it that much easier to bank at both ends.

Royal Bank of Scotland own Citizens Bank in the US, you might be able to do something through them. I would have looked into them if I had not got my HSBC account.

Transfering the money is not really the problem, I have used a few third party websites to do it. So its just opening the account. I would speak to HSBC, they seemed to be very helpful when i went through the process from this end. Barclays apparently are good for international banking, but don't think you could open an account here, i heard once you have a Bank of America account it works well.

Bob May 14th 2007 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by MarkLB (Post 4778924)
I was going to make a new thread for my question but it's related to this thread so I'll ask it here.

I have a credit card that I will be transfering the balance on to another card soon (I'm one of the 0% 6 months balance transfer jumpers!) but towards the end of the year my K1-visa should be approved so I will be taking my credit card to the US with me. Could anyone give me some useful pointers or their experiences with the credit cards that they took with them and how they went about paying off the balance? I have an MBNA europe card at the moment which is very good and as with other cards they can be paid over the internet. Is this the only way to do this? Or please don't tell me that the balance has to be paid off in full before you go! :(

MBNA don't exist anymore and BOA are an arse in comparison...but most will still let you pay it off online, though might be easier to set up a DD from your UK bank account and then just transfer a wedge of cash into that every once in a while.

MarkLB May 14th 2007 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4778946)
Live within your means young man ....
Paying it off is a very good idea ...

I'm not young per se and secondly there is a huge percentage of the UK population that owe money on credit cards and not all of them fail to 'live within their means'. Naturally paying it off would be a good idea it's not viable at the moment and I'm sure there are folks on these very boards that took some kind of credit card debt with them.

Big D May 14th 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MarkLB (Post 4778924)

Not sure of MBNA specifically but a lot of companies will make you clear it if you arent resident as you become a higher risk - i.e. its difficult for them to enforce the debt. Some companies are fine but i didnt tell any of mine, including MBNA, and have mail redirected and paid on line until they were clear.

Jerseygirl May 14th 2007 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by MarkLB (Post 4779539)
I'm not young per se and secondly there is a huge percentage of the UK population that owe money on credit cards and not all of them fail to 'live within their means'. Naturally paying it off would be a good idea it's not viable at the moment and I'm sure there are folks on these very boards that took some kind of credit card debt with them.

Surely if you cannot clear your CC balance at the end of each month...you are living beyond your means. At least that's the way I was brought up...if you can't pay for it...you don't buy it.

Bob May 14th 2007 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4779618)
Surely if you cannot clear your CC balance at the end of each month...you are living beyond your means. At least that's the way I was brought up...if you can't pay for it...you don't buy it.

easier said than done though ain't it.

NinjaTariq May 14th 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4779640)

Especially if you have kids...

Jerseygirl May 14th 2007 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4779640)

It was the rule my working class parents brought me up by...they never had any spare cash but the thought of owing a debt would have kept them awake at night. My in-laws are the same...you know the type when the gas bill drops through the letter box...they go straight to the PO and pay it.

MarkLB May 14th 2007 5:29 pm

I think we're going off topic here. Bob is right; it is easier said than done and we don't know everyone's personal circumstances. Thousands of Britains have got into the situation of balances they can't pay off and they include educated people like myself.

Jerseygirl May 14th 2007 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by NinjaTariq (Post 4779680)
Especially if you have kids...

My parents had 2 children...my in-laws 3. It's today's have now...pay later society that think debt is acceptable. Maybe it is but not to me...I have and would rather go without than go into debt.

Bob May 14th 2007 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4779717)
My parents had 2 children...my in-laws 3. It's today's have now...pay later society that think debt is acceptable. Maybe it is but not to me...I have and would rather go without than go into debt.

I don't think it's great to be in, but it's pretty easy to rack up when your a student, then things come up like you've got to repair the car etc.

Jerseygirl May 14th 2007 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4779819)
I don't think it's great to be in, but it's pretty easy to rack up when your a student, then things come up like you've got to repair the car etc.

I realise that but many people in the UK aren't in debt because of education...it's because they want it all and they want it now. I know due to unforeseen circumstances debt happens...some try their best to work through it. Others don't...they see it as a way of life and just keep on spending.

MarkLB said he was not so young. He made it sound acceptable because a high number of people are in debt.

My parents and in-laws more or less have lived hand to mouth all their lives...but they've never been in debt. Neither myself or my husband went to uni....he worked 60+ hours per week while he studied for an under grad then a MBA...which we paid for ourselves.

Edit: I realise personal debt is probably worse in the US...I referred to the UK because MarkLB mentioned 'Britons'.