Reload this Page >

Future problems?

Future problems?

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:21 am
Just Joined

kanu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future problems?

Hey everybody!

I recently got married to my USC fiance in the US under the VWP. I spent almost 3 weeks there and then returned back to my home country with my wife. When we applied for our marriage license in the States the lady told me it would be a lot easier if I wrote my wife's address in the US on the application. My question is will this cause me problems using the VWP in the future? And will they think I have been living there or trying to adjust status?

Last edited by kanu; Aug 2nd 2011 at 8:42 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future problems?

Originally Posted by kanu
Hey everybody!

I recently got married to my USC fiance in the US under the VWP. I spent almost 3 weeks there and then returned back to my home country with my wife. When we applied for our marriage license in the States the lady told me it would be a lot easier if I wrote my wife's address in the US on the application. My question is will this cause me problems using the VWP in the future? And will they think I have been living there or trying to adjust status?
Getting married in the USA and then returning to the UK should not prevent you from using the VWP or visiting the USA again, no.

I don't think anyone will see the actual marriage license you filled out, although you probably shouldn't have used her address as your own, if you don't actually live there...

What is the plan now? To live in the UK?

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. Well do you think I have anything to worry about. I asked the lady if it would cause any problems and she said no so I guess I will have to trust her. I would just hate to not being able to use the VWP just cause of that. The plan as for now is to work towards a UK citizenship for her and then eventually move to the States.

Last edited by kanu; Aug 2nd 2011 at 11:32 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everybody!

I wouldnt worry about it. Think of it as your wife's mailing address for the marriage cert.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Yea thats true but I just realised there was a specific space for the mailing address of the marriage certificate. I think the reason the lady told me to write my wife's address was due to the fact that there wasn't a space in the address field where I could write which country I lived in. Well if a CBP officer for some reason asks me about it I will just have to explain and hopefully they will understand.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Yea thats true but I just realised there was a specific space for the mailing address of the marriage certificate. I think the reason the lady told me to write my wife's address was due to the fact that there wasn't a space in the address field where I could write which country I lived in. Well if a CBP officer for some reason asks me about it I will just have to explain and hopefully they will understand.
On mine, there is also no space for country, but they just put England as the state.

I know this doesn't help you much now, but may be useful for others.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

I'm sorry I keep rambling on about this. But I would like to ask for your opinions on this. I just checked the official marriage license and there it says my wife's city, county and state next to both our names. It doesn't state like " address where you reside" or anything so I might be able to come away with that or what do you guys think. The official marriage certificate however says nothing about this, just where the marriage took place and what date etc.

When we move to the States (which could be in the near future) I know we need to fill out some forms like the I-130 for example. Is it the marriage license or certificate that I send to them or both? Even if they see the official license do you think this will cause problems for me?

Thanks once again for such a good forum, it has helped me so much.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I keep rambling on about this. But I would like to ask for your opinions on this. I just checked the official marriage license and there it says my wife's city, county and state next to both our names. It doesn't state like " address where you reside" or anything so I might be able to come away with that or what do you guys think. The official marriage certificate however says nothing about this, just where the marriage took place and what date etc.

When we move to the States (which could be in the near future) I know we need to fill out some forms like the I-130 for example. Is it the marriage license or certificate that I send to them or both? Even if they see the official license do you think this will cause problems for me?

Thanks once again for such a good forum, it has helped me so much.
It's the certificate they require as that proves you are married. A license just shows you intended to marry.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I might be able to come away with that or what do you guys think.
I think you're trying to make a mountain out of a non-issue. The US government cares only that you're married when you apply for a spouse visa. They won't care one whit what information you provided in order to get that marriage certificate or what other information (other than both of your names) is on the certificate. It's a non-issue.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's really no big deal.

You need to get into your head that all immigration matters are handled at a federal level by federal agencies and federal employees (i.e. the guys out of Washington, DC).

Marriage licenses are controlled by state governments and local city authorities. They are state and city agencies working for state and local governments controlled by your local state capitol.

There is MINIMAL interaction between these two levels of government on matters such as that. Minimal to nonexistent to be honest. It's like saying "I bought a shirt from Marks and Spencer and I'm afraid that the folks at Harrods will see M&S's internal books and know how much I paid". It's just not going to happen at the back end. They have a hard enough time getting criminal and terrorist information shared between states and federal agencies.

Technically you're not even going to show the license, just the certificate, so no worries all around.

It's not an issue. Relax and enjoy being married.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!