Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Old May 5th 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I have a couple of Soutwest Reward tickets, one of which is about to expire. Seeing that my son is a bit under the weather (homesick...), I thought I would take him somewhere for the weekend - but he can't think of anywhere he'd like to go.

Any suggestions, anyone? He is 20 and his current interests can be summed up as 'hanging out'. Possible destinations (based on SW destinations and accessibility from CA) are Seattle, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, Houston.

Basically he just needs to get away for a few days as he's in a bit of a rut right now...

TIA
Bunny Ranch, NV. Let him go on his own.
Old May 5th 2005, 8:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishInOhio
Is that where WaxWabbit works?

NC Penguin
Old May 5th 2005, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think I'm inclined to go for Seattle. So, if you only had a couple of days - what are the top things to do?
Hi Donna,

Sorry to hear your son is so down....my older daughter was like that (only we lived in the UK at the time) anyway....

Does he have any friends over here? Maybe arrange something with them? The Mexico trip sounded like a good idea....

As I said before Seattle is probably a good idea. Its true, you don't really need a car to get around....there is the Space Needle to see, Pike's Market....

The weather isn't too bad right now. We've had intermittent rain and its warm enough to walk around with a light jacket or jumper.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

I have a couple of Soutwest Reward tickets, one of which is about to expire. Seeing that my son is a bit under the weather (homesick...), I thought I would take him somewhere for the weekend - but he can't think of anywhere he'd like to go.

Any suggestions, anyone? He is 20 and his current interests can be summed up as 'hanging out'. Possible destinations (based on SW destinations and accessibility from CA) are Seattle, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, Houston.

Basically he just needs to get away for a few days as he's in a bit of a rut right now...

TIA
I have some ideas:

To do research on things to do, places to visit, accomodation etc. my favourite website is

http://www.tripadvisor.com (just type in the names of the cities in the search box...you will get loads of results for each city and lots of recommendations of places to go or avoid).

Now for something completely different (but no good for your Southwest air tickets I guess....I don't know where you're located) and probably something to consider another time:

There is a tour company called the "Green Tortoise". Basically it was set up many years ago by hippies in San Francisco and it's a cheap way to visit different cities and national parks in the US or/and Mexico. Some tours are coast to coast with a choice of Northern or Southern states, some are just weekend trips to Yosemite national park and there are various departure dates and length of the trip.

People from all over the US and worldwide go on the trip and everyone has to lend a hand in cooking and washing up...a real ice-breaker and a great way to meet people. I think it would be fun for your son to go on a trip....perhaps just a weekend away (with friends or with his mum) might perk up his spirits. It sounds weird sleeping on a bus...but I did it a couple of years ago in India with my (then) 19 year old daughter....15 hours in a sleeper coach from Goa to Bombay when we couldn't get a train ticket due to the Indian school holidays. It was an experience I'll never forget...I reckon it could be fun on the Green Tortoise bus for sure!

http://www.greentortoise.com/index.html

http://www.greentortoise.com/sleeper.coaches.html

The weekend trip - choice of 2 or 3 days:

http://www.greentortoise.com/yosemit...onal.park.html

or Alaska for 14 days:

http://www.greentortoise.com/alaska.loop.html

There is also a messageboard for those who have been or are going on the trips.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I have some ideas...
Thank you so much -you've certainly given me a lot to look at and consider!

Now if only I could get him out of bed and take an interest in something, anything...
Old May 5th 2005, 10:01 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much -you've certainly given me a lot to look at and consider!

Now if only I could get him out of bed and take an interest in something, anything...
Any girls in the 18 - 24 age range in your vicinity??
Old May 5th 2005, 10:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Goddam women .... I think your son needs my mother for a few days to straighten him out ... If I was not out of bed by 8am at the weekend 7 am during the week .. I got a saucepan of cold water over my head...
Old May 5th 2005, 10:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Goddam women .... I think your son needs my mother for a few days to straighten him out ... If I was not out of bed by 8am at the weekend 7 am during the week .. I got a saucepan of cold water over my head...
And look how you turned out!
Old May 5th 2005, 10:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And look how you turned out!
Well I reached retirement ...without any mishaps...
Old May 5th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishInOhio
$2000 a 'go' though..
Old May 5th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Any girls in the 18 - 24 age range in your vicinity??
wouldn't that keep him in bed though..
Old May 5th 2005, 10:21 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Well I reached retirement ...without any mishaps...
Seems likely you would have achieved the same goal if you'd stayed in bed
Old May 5th 2005, 10:23 pm
Ray

Seems likely you would have achieved the same goal if you'd stayed in bed
Umm !! There are certainly a lot of people who wish I had ...
Old May 5th 2005, 10:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I reckon it could be fun on the Green Tortoise bus for sure!
He better bring some good drugs for that one.
Old May 5th 2005, 10:33 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
wouldn't that keep him in bed though..
No, you misunderstood I wondered if he could hook me up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.