Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Old May 6th 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Unfortunately he can't. Only spouses on L2 visas can work and I have the EAD myself (cos the company paid Fragomen $500 to put the application in....still at least I got Social Security no. which is a big help when going to the DMV for renewal of a driving licence!).

My son is a dependent on an L2....hence he's not allowed to work...and yes, we did get Fragomen, the immigration attorneys to double check.
I didnt know that. So is he only allowed to study then? and would he only be allowed to work when you get your GCard?
Old May 6th 2005, 3:58 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I have a couple of Soutwest Reward tickets, one of which is about to expire. Seeing that my son is a bit under the weather (homesick...), I thought I would take him somewhere for the weekend - but he can't think of anywhere he'd like to go.

Any suggestions, anyone? He is 20 and his current interests can be summed up as 'hanging out'. Possible destinations (based on SW destinations and accessibility from CA) are Seattle, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, Houston.

Basically he just needs to get away for a few days as he's in a bit of a rut right now...

TIA
I'd forget about Houston if I was you...Las vegas has plenty of distractions...though personally i'd much prefer a frozen margarita on a beautiful quiet beach "sigh"
Old May 6th 2005, 4:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I didnt know that. So is he only allowed to study then? and would he only be allowed to work when you get your GCard?
Yes... L2 dependent children are allowed to study...or bum around I guess until they are 21. Then they either have to qualify for a visa in their own right eg. student visa or leave the States.

We haven't bothered to apply for green cards and we've been here for almost 5 years - at some point over the Summer holidays I'll have to go with our son to get our last set of L2 visas at a US Embassy (and will probably do this in London). We will also have to get new driving licences when we come back as they're tied in with the visas and will expire in July.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
How did the poor kid go from a 'hanging out' fan to a depressed drug taker
2 more pages ..and he will be an axe murderer....

To my mind he's just your standard bored teenager...
Such is the mind of strange people. And, I think you're right in a roundabout way, he does sound bored and needs something.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... L2 dependent children are allowed to study...or bum around I guess until they are 21. Then they either have to qualify for a visa in their own right eg. student visa or leave the States.

We haven't bothered to apply for green cards and we've been here for almost 5 years - at some point over the Summer holidays I'll have to go with our son to get our last set of L2 visas at a US Embassy (and will probably do this in London). We will also have to get new driving licences when we come back as they're tied in with the visas and will expire in July.
I'm sure you probably know this: if your son switches to a student visa when he turns 21, he (you?!) will have to pay international fees... Ouch!

If you apply for green cards before he turns 21, his age will be 'locked in', i.e. he won't have to leave while his case winds through the GC process. (and he can continue to pay resident fees )
Old May 6th 2005, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Donna, does he want to stay here in the US?
Old May 6th 2005, 4:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Donna, does he want to stay here in the US?
Lisa - are you talking to me (my name is Elvira - 'Donna' is my title... )

Does my son want to stay in the US? If only he knew! The problem is that if he leaves, he'll have abandoned his GC process and that'll be 'it' - he won't ever be able to come back. So he'd be separated from the rest of the family. Which, at the present time, he doesn't want... So all in all no easy solutions.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does my son want to stay in the US? If only he knew! The problem is that if he leaves, he'll have abandoned his GC process and that'll be 'it' - he won't ever be able to come back. So he'd be separated from the rest of the family. Which, at the present time, he doesn't want... So all in all no easy solutions.
Sorry El, Donna was a natural assumption.

Anyway, I can appreciate wanting to keep the family together. Its a big scary world out there for anyone, especially a young man/woman. When we decided to move back to the States a year ago, my older daughter stayed in the UK....now that's fun in a half. But, I don't blame her for staying....she has a life there and its just a better life in general. But, as I said earlier, we went through the same situation with her a few years back....she was able to come to the US and live for a few months....she decided she didn't like it. Its a shame that immigration laws are so stringent.

Best of luck to him and you.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and he can't apply for a different visa without killing the GC process. ANy idea how far into the GC process you are?
Old May 6th 2005, 4:54 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Yes, and he can't apply for a different visa without killing the GC process. ANy idea how far into the GC process you are?
Who knows? Applied last month...
Old May 6th 2005, 5:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

I'm sure you probably know this: if your son switches to a student visa when he turns 21, he (you?!) will have to pay international fees... Ouch!

If you apply for green cards before he turns 21, his age will be 'locked in', i.e. he won't have to leave while his case winds through the GC process. (and he can continue to pay resident fees )
Ha ha.....if we (meaning my husband on an L1-A, myself and my son - L2's...daughter's L2 just expired but she's almost 21 and never wanted to live in the US anyway and is in London) don't apply for green cards in the next two years....we all have to leave the States. We could only come back in to reside after leaving the US for at least one year. I feel indifferent right now....could be feeling the opposite in a year or so though LOL!

On the other hand....if we don't apply for green cards and because my husband is still deemed as temporarily resident overseas, then our son would be deemed as a Home student in the UK. Unfortunately our son doesn't have a bloody clue what he wants to do and where he wants to do it.....

Kids are soooo trying at times...... and drive me to
Old May 6th 2005, 5:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Although here in Florida ..A friend was here on a L-1A applied For GC after exactly 12 months here ..and got it last week taking exactly 6 months from application......
Old May 6th 2005, 5:27 pm
Homebody

Kids are soooo trying at times...... and drive me to
You and me both

Ah well - have on me...
Old May 6th 2005, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Does you son like fooball fan and likes to kick a ball around ?
This is football (a.k.a. soccer)
I myself coach the local youngsters - all voluntary ofcourse but I get a kick out of it (no pun intended). It's just something he may feel he would like to do if he's bored, and ofcourse if he's up for it.
Just need to approach any local organizatons.
Old May 6th 2005, 6:12 pm

Smile Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Originally Posted by Ray
Although here in Florida ..A friend was here on a L-1A applied For GC after exactly 12 months here ..and got it last week taking exactly 6 months from application......

Yes, we know about that and the company would have applied for green cards for us soon after our arrival here....but we never came to the States with the intention of settling here permanently - my spouse works for a British MNC with offices all over the world. We might end up applying for green cards just to get our son through High School - our visas expire in April 2007 and he graduates High school a few weeks later and of course you can't extend the visas ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.