British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Frosted Shreddies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/frosted-shreddies-319231/)

NC Penguin Aug 20th 2005 4:00 am

Re: Frosted Shreddies

Originally Posted by woodsey
I take it you've never eaten a bowl of fruit loops then, I mean how can they even be legal with all those food colourings in them..disgraceful :mad: and whilst I'm on the subject, coco pops or rather coco crispies as they are called her taste nothing like the ones at home, they're all rubbish, I'd have toast but even the bread here is shit..

Are there any "artisan" bakers/bakeries near you? What about food co-ops or health food shops nearby? You might be surprised but there's half decent bread to be found in freezer cabinets in healthfood stores and the "natural food" sections in some grocery stores.

Not cheap of course but if one misses more authentic bread and less sugar/corn syrup/high fructuse corn syrup in one's breakfast, it's worth it.

NC Penguin

BritGuyTN Aug 20th 2005 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Don't flame me but I like the cereals here :o If I moved back to the UK I would have Raisan Nut Bran imported as well as Cracklin Oat Bran... I really like Honey Bunches of Oats too.

This morning for breakfast I had toast smothered with Hartley's Strawberry Jam... lovely.

Ash

you asked for it!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LIKE THAT CRAP YOU SUGAR LOVING SON OF A GUN!

seriously dude - cereals here are sugary shite

dbj1000 Aug 20th 2005 4:49 am

A have a genuine question for y'all (see, these quaint Texan modes of speech do have their uses!):

How in hell's name do you find time to eat breakfast?

Seriously, in between trying to down a pint of black coffee, shower, shave, brush my teeth and still get to work on time...

Is that why all these Yanks are eating in their cars on the way to work?

woodsey Aug 20th 2005 4:53 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
A have a genuine question for y'all (see, these quaint Texan modes of speech do have their uses!):

Seriously, in between trying to down a pint of black coffee, shower, shave, brush my teeth and still get to work on time...

Is that why all these Yanks are eating in their cars on the way to work?

the way that works best for me is by not having to go to work.. :D

surely you missed out having a shit as well. :eek:

dbj1000 Aug 20th 2005 4:56 am

Originally Posted by woodsey
the way that works best for me is by not having to go to work.. :D

surely you missed out having a shit as well. :eek:

Nah, I can multitask the shit with most of the required morning steps... except the shower! :D

BritGuyTN Aug 20th 2005 4:59 am

I work from home

I make sure I get breakfast because I don't have time for lunch....

Yosser Aug 22nd 2005 11:04 pm

Nah, I can multitask the shit with most of the required morning steps... except the shower! :D

Oh believe me, 2 "organic" weetabix mixed up with warm milk in the mornings would make anybody multi-tasking taking a dump....if not you'll be wiping down the back of your legs!

Good news by the way, the old dear is coming over in October, so she will be bringing plenty of me "shreddies" over......god bless mums eh!

AmerLisa Aug 22nd 2005 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
and all varieties are laden with added sugar and salt

EVEN SPECIAL K HAS ADDED SUGAR!!!! WTF!

I thought it tasted a bit sweet. :rolleyes:

cutina Aug 22nd 2005 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I thought it tasted a bit sweet. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's amazing how even the 'healthy' stuff has sugar- or even worse- high fructose corn syrup in it... that stuff will be the downfall of this country! (although obviuosly, I sincerely hope not ;) )

AmerLisa Aug 22nd 2005 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
Yes, it's amazing how even the 'healthy' stuff has sugar- or even worse- high fructose corn syrup in it... that stuff will be the downfall of this country! (although obviuosly, I sincerely hope not ;) )

Its very very hard to stay away from the corn syrup stuff, literally everything has it in it. :eek: :eek: :mad:

Chandler Aug 22nd 2005 11:53 pm

If I eat anything here it tends to be All Bran.

I can deffo taste the extra sugar, but as I used to put sugar on it at home I have convinced myself that it evens out.

BritGuyTN Aug 23rd 2005 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Chandler
If I eat anything here it tends to be All Bran.

I can deffo taste the extra sugar, but as I used to put sugar on it at home I have convinced myself that it evens out.

theres this stuff i sometimes have called Kashi

loads of fibre, protein etc and is low fat

unfortunately the downside is that its tastes 'worse than ass' as a friend charmingly put it.

low cal tip for cereal - put splenda on it. tastes just like sugar

Chandler Aug 23rd 2005 1:58 pm

low cal tip for cereal - put splenda on it. tastes just like sugar

Doesnt this help keep the weight off but bring Cancer on?

BritGuyTN Aug 23rd 2005 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Chandler
Doesnt this help keep the weight off but bring Cancer on?

I don't think so, i think it is actually a form of sucrose

although my wife would know more...

cutina Aug 23rd 2005 5:58 pm

I don't think so, i think it is actually a form of sucrose

although my wife would know more...

Splenda is sucralose, which has more in common with chlorinated pesdicides than with suger. Although in itself, it has been 'approved' (in small amounts), its breakdown products have not ben tested properly. It is thought than in large amounts, sucralose could cause kidney, liver, and reproductive defects, although this has not been properly tested yet.

The best thing you can do for your body is stick to the least prosessed food you can; and it may take a while to adapt to the taste of less sugar, but after a while its ok.... I have to admit, i'm no angel, but I think for health reasons it's better to cut back than to substitute with this kind of thing. The advantage of 'natural' products is that they've been eaten for 100's of years, and we know the effects they have- better the devil you know.

just a thought!!
p.s. beer has been around for ages, so it's ok, right!!! :beer: