Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Freight company for small amount of boxes?

Freight company for small amount of boxes?

Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:57 am
Just Joined

sahra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freight company for small amount of boxes?

Which freight companies these days are good to get belongings from the UK to the US? I live in central Massachusetts. No packing needed; just shipping and customs clearance for sentimental items like photos, framed diplomas, and paperwork. Delivery on US end preferable. Everything to be shipped more than fits into the back of an estate car and is currently in Walthamstow, London. Thanks!
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

1969tonka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Freight company for small amount of boxes?

Hi , we are moving over to Portland in April with about 6 boxes of personal effects on (all 500mm x 500mm) , and we found the best price was on parcelhero.co.uk . They use various companies but we have gone for ups who will collect from our uk address and deliver to Portland in about 5 days at a total cost of roughly £320 . Obviously your needs will differ from ours but it should give you a good idea and using UPS everything should be fine . Most shipping companies will do exactly the same thing but will add another layer of cost for you so cut out the middle man !
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1969tonka
Hi , we are moving over to Portland in April with about 6 boxes of personal effects on (all 500mm x 500mm) , and we found the best price was on parcelhero.co.uk . They use various companies but we have gone for ups who will collect from our uk address and deliver to Portland in about 5 days at a total cost of roughly £320 . Obviously your needs will differ from ours but it should give you a good idea and using UPS everything should be fine . Most shipping companies will do exactly the same thing but will add another layer of cost for you so cut out the middle man !
Thank you for this information! I am also fishing through various quotes for shipping a few boxes, and UPS keep grabbing my attention. Do you know if you have to fill out customs forms for each box, detailing exactly what is in each one? And if so, is that all you have to do? Will UPS then come and collect the boxes and deliver them to your address in the USA, nothing else required?

If I can cut out the middle man and all their legislation, I would absolutely love to. So many of these larger shipping companies add so many loops we need to jump through.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=KK85;12209031]Thank you for this information! I am also fishing through various quotes for shipping a few boxes, and UPS keep grabbing my attention. Do you know if you have to fill out customs forms for each box, detailing exactly what is in each one? And if so, is that all you have to do? Will UPS then come and collect the boxes and deliver them to your address in the USA, nothing else required?

If I can cut out the middle man and all their legislation, I would absolutely love to. So many of these larger shipping companies add so many loops we need to jump through.[/QUOTE

You will find Transglobal Express and Parcel Hero will offer a better rate than you will get going direct to UPS.
You will have to fill out the customs forms for each box.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1969tonka
Great info, I think we'll end up doing something similar.

Out of interest is the 500mm significant size wise for shipping and are they square in height too?
And what weight each or in total, what there a best value shipping weight you aimed for?